Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Plate Solving

The past two nights I've used the clear skies (my first for many weeks!) to try and work out how to the use Plate Solving; for imaging this is of course the key to multi-session imaging and thereby increasing integration time and I've been putting it off for some time.  I'm using PS2 within APT capture software and the first night just couldn't seem to  get it working but last night (fingers crossed!) I think I might have cracked it, though have yet to process the resulting images of Leo's Triplet taken either side of the Meridian after plate solving.  Couple of questions:

1. According to the GoTo++ plate solving the plate solving was successful to within 2 pixels.  Is this an acceptable accuracy and if not what is + what can I do to improve it?
  2. Referring to the aforementioned east and west orientated images, having flipped across the Meridian the second (west) images are upside down compared to the east images.  I use DSS to register and stack - does the programme recognise and deal with the change or do I need to do something before registering and stacking so that DSS knows they are the same images but with a different orientation?

Thanks, Graham        

1 hour ago, groberts said:

Is this an acceptable accuracy

Yes, very good.

1 hour ago, groberts said:

does the programme recognise and deal with the change

Yes. 

HTH, clear skies and good luck with the flips.

Thanks, that's very encouraging.  So, if I may continue on this theme and to be clear:

• What would be the maximum acceptable pixel limit for plate solving?
  • What would be good Point Craft settings, in particular Number of GoTo++ attempts, acceptable pixel error & time out?   
  • I just list all sets of images pre & post flip in DSS as usual, register and stack and DSS sorts it out?  

25 minutes ago, groberts said:

maximum acceptable pixel limit for plate solving

Hi. The larger the value, the more artefacts around the edge of your stack you will have to remove. Take into account dithering if applicable as this will also eat around the edge of your output. It's up to you where that limit is:) I'm currently at around 15 using APT blind which takes 2 or 3 attempts to centre to within 15 px.

32 minutes ago, groberts said:

Number of GoTo++ attempts, acceptable pixel error & time out

apt5.JPG.cd6ce40e0b4bda09c51d7baaa74695cd.JPGHere are my settings for a dslr at 1200mm

35 minutes ago, groberts said:

I just list all sets of images pre & post flip in DSS as usual

Yes. HTH.

Archived