Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Supernova in M108?

According to CdC there is a mag12.42 foreground star at that location, UCAC4-729-048667 and in the image it is of similar magnitude to the nearby (just to the left of M 108) UCAC4-729-048661 also 12.42 in CdC.

Looking at google images of M 108 it does not appear that prominent. So it did look like an 'interesting' candidate ! (of course it was cloudy here, but thanks for the heads-up anyway :thumbsup:)

Here is a little animated gif I just made to show that it does appear to be the foreground star ??

108.gif.2dab3e8a6accceede709125378954635.gif

false alarm but as I was outside just finishing an RGB run on nearby M101 as clouds were rolling in, I saw the post and thought I should grab some subs on M108, just in case...

Poor quality owing to passing haze & clouds but here you go.

M108-L 7x300s 1x60s - stretched - crop.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Funny to see this post, I've had the same thing happening to me, and I know of at least 2 other occasions where someone thinks they saw a supernova there. 

I blame either darker skies or a larger aperture :) 

Archived