Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunar diamonds

Stu

I’ve been viewing the moon and Venus since I got home, still in relatively bright daylight to start with.

What struck me was the three or four little diamonds right at the tip of the terminator. Lovely stuff. Captured as best I could with the trusty iPhone. Well worth a look if you have a chance.

7AC08934-F0B2-4CC1-A36A-30E910D8FE6B.jpeg

Great, glad you chaps saw them!

Here is a whole moon shot from later on. This one corrected for left right reverse. Didn’t capture the earthshine but it looked lovely!

7486D239-D7C1-4511-BA6D-7D3ED3FBE006.jpeg

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I’ve been viewing the moon and Venus since I got home, still in relatively bright daylight to start with.

What struck me was the three or four little diamonds right at the tip of the terminator. Lovely stuff. Captured as best I could with the trusty iPhone. Well worth a look if you have a chance.

7AC08934-F0B2-4CC1-A36A-30E910D8FE6B.jpeg

How strange to see you mention this! I was out an hour ago setting up the telescope and I noticed the exact same thing.  Baileys beads was the first thing that I thought of when I say them. 

I think I have had the best views I have ever had of the moon tonight. The equinox 120 with WO binoviewer with 20mm eyepieces and 2.5x OPC gave stunning views of Mare Crisium and the surrounding area. 

Hope others had the same.

steve

Nice views here, although the seeing was a little wobbly because of the hot day we’ve had. Didn’t bother with the binoviewers tonight, just used the Nag zoom, worked well for a shortish session.

I was looking at the moon yesterday evening with the vx14 starting in daylight and packing up before dark. I noticed one diamond hanging out on its own at the south pole at one point.

Petavius was good and the dark line on the crater floor I had not seen before, I guess because I normally never get the chance to observe the moon at this phase.

I saw a forked tongue structure to the ejecta thrown forwards from messier / messier a which I hadn't noticed before,  but couldn't make out the butterfly ejecta.

Mare Crisium is usually flat when I get to look at the moon during later phases but yesterday it was 3d all around. The flooded area around Yerkes and Lick being of most interest.

Archived