Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M51 with a modded Canon 500D

stevewanstall

This is my first image with a Canon 500D, modified for astro.  Seems to be a big improvement on my unmodded NikonD5300. I guess its not the best subject for increased sensitivity though. I think some of the tidal structures are showing?

20180419-Whirlpool Galaxy.jpg

And this shows what else is present....

astrometry.jpg

Very nice Stephen :thumbsup:

Quick word of advice if I may - the modification on the 500D will mainly only help with shooting emission nebulae (or anything that has a lot of Ha in it). For everything else, such as galaxies which are mostly broadband, then you would be better off using your D5300 rather than the 500D. The D5300 is a much more modern camera, with a much better sensor. It also has no antialiasing filter, which helps with sharpness. Also, if you dither aggressively between every frame it will greatly reduce the colour noise of the background.

ps - I also have a D5300 (although mine is modded). It's a brilliant camera, and has arguably the best performing sensor in it's price range.

Archived