SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Horsehead Nebula (C9.25 @ F6.3 - Kelling)

Tim

I have to admit that I am very excited about this photo. As soon as the first test shot came through on the modded camera you get a good feeling about things. The amount of Ha picked up by the camera, a one-shot colour CMOS if you like :lol: really surprised me, and the focus and guiding worked well. (Still manually focussed by eye btw through the viewfinder of the camera, which incidentally was giving me slight tingly electric shocks to the eyebrow, I think down to the dew!)

So here is 12 x 400 secs @ iso 1600, C9.25 @F6.3, guiding PHD + WO72 + DSI pro, stacked DSS, darks flats and bias applied.

When I met Roger, he asked me when I am going to get a 'proper' camera (CCD) for my photos. I now know the answer, and it will be when I stop getting results like this. :D

PS: Ant, do you need more evidence as to the benefits of a modded cam? :)

Thanks for looking.

TJ

9155_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Superb Horsey TJ :thumbright: , great when it all comes together and works.

The modded cameras certainly deliver the goods, you can see the evidence in Billy's and others images on here well worth doing, just wish I had a spare body.

Brendan

Cracking Image TJ and cant agree more abot your statements on the modded cameras. Is that full field of cropped a bit?

When I imaged the same target a few weeks ago with the 8" @ f6.3 I could just about manage to get the whole of the flame and HHN in the frame.

I can't really see its worth the hassle of LRGB imaging with filters,wheels etc when you can turn out images like these... ok i suppose the narrowband stuff won't be as good but for sheer convenience you cant beat it...

I'm not "seriously" imaging at the moment as I am still recovering from my stupid accident with the dome/scopes... had a quick look lastnight with the rebuilt 66 and the 8" - the 8" need the collimation tweaking a bit more and the 66 achieved focus but I haven't imaged through it yet will be very supprised if its anywhere close to collimated - the guide cam view looked ok'ish... :)

Ah well we live and learn...

Billy...

LOL proved me wrong then TJ,have to say that is very impressive imaging , and its pretty deep as well . guiding is tight very good indeed, so a very well done , and ole Rog was only joking about ccd , i really admire all you guys imaging with DSLR camera,s, the modded ones certainly are pretty good with the red stuff, but we have to remember those skies there are a blessing for imaging, home here in my hometown ,colour one shot is pretty impossible for any real depth,hence CCd imaging .

Rog

:)

I agree totally Roger, I'm gonna do exactly the same shot from home just to see the difference.

One thing that has come to my attention, is that I think the optimum way to get the best from a DSLR would be with a good triploid, something to bring all colours into exact focus at the same point. Using a CCD with LRGB would get around this problem with the kit I have, but i'm not sure I have the patience!

Billy, I think that is uncropped. I'd love to do the same at F10,but I really dont think the optics can get focus tight enough for a really great image, I may be wrong about that, but i'm going to go over the RGB channels and check them closely for focus I think.

I just bought a used F5 astrograph which I'm picking up tonight, so i'll be keen to give that a whirl too.

TJ

Archived