SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

19 Apr - new region with spot enters disk

alanjgreen

Just got in from an hour with our sun. There is plenty to see, I shall try to describe it.

Active Regions

Six by my count. Three on the out side, two centrally located and one (new one) on the in side! Taking them left to right.

1. Decent size region with areas of plage and small filaments. I saw a couple of “not spots” (black area that looks like a spot, stays a while then fades) come and go in this vicinity.

2 and 3. Very small areas with some plage.

(there are three areas of plage in a triangle configuration on the out side)

4. Central region of decent size. Plage and small filaments. Saw a few small “not spots” in this vicinity too.

5. Nice region approaching half way. Filament looks like a “diver”. Plage and smaller filaments too.

6. Smallish region but very active. It has just come onto the disk from around the limb. There is one (or two) tiny spots in this region. Bright plage for the whole hour I was out there. NOAA seems to suggest more still to rotate in too ! :) 

Filaments

Four small widely spread and one decent “diver” filament on the top half of the disc.

A nice trail of 5 filaments towards 6 o’clock.

Proms

The brightest and biggest is down at six o’clock. Hedge type.

There are several proms along the left limb (out side) including (my favourite) a “cheese string” :) at 9 o’clock!

Not Spots

These “not spots” keep appearing over the last few days. They seem transient but too big for pores. They must be cool temperature so we see them as black colour. Once they appear then they are clearly visible seems to be the opposite of “emerging flux” (which is hotter and appears as two bright “eyes”).

Whatever they are, they are frequent and at least something to look for!

Alan

Archived