Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scotland

Ed in UK

Hi Everyone,

I'm away to Scotland in a few weeks and I have a cunning plan to take my scope.

Site will be dark, mostly away from light pollution (on the Isle of Mull) and on the Bortle Scale it comes up as a '2'.

I'm seeing this has a chance to perhaps have a look a few galaxies (providing that I can find them) and hopefully see a little more detail than I do at home.

However the draw back is with it being May when I'm there I'm not 100% sure how dark it will get. I know from previous visits (pre Stargazing days) at 10pm it can still be quite light.

Worth a role of the dice do you think and take the scope?

Many thanks.

Ed

Hi Ed, you can use this page to see when astronomical night, twilight etc occurs.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/@7290043

You type in your location at the top of the page and move the cursor on the graph to the time you want. I notice that between the end of April and mid August the Isle of Mull never experiences astro-night.

I'm not saying that it isn't worth taking your telescope as I have no experience of observing under these conditions but the link can be useful.

Yes, Ed, you’ve sussed it. The Bortle figure is good but the darkness isn’t there.

I would say definitely take the scope ... but I think you may be disappointed if you want to hunt down faint galaxies. ??

EDIT: But if taking the scope may cause domestic strife I’d opt for peace at home and take a pair of bins only.

2 hours ago, Synchronicity said:

Hi Ed

I'm heading up to Strathcarron at the end of July and was wondering the same thing.  If you take the scope I'd love to know how you get on.

All the best

Michael

From that location in July, you wont be able to (naked eye) see more than the summer triangle and Arcturus I`m afraid. And none of the big dipper stars.

Archived