SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A perfectly good observatory... in bits!!!

swag72

5 minutes ago, spillage said:

Tell me about it, I see it all the time. It might just have not been clipped down correctly or a bit of dust got moved as it can take the slightest knock to cause this, as I have dropped my pc's before and not had any problems. I guess its just one of those "ain't technology marvelous" moments. 

Mark.

Having spent a number of hours yesterday getting the Pc's speaking, fixed IP's all round, pings, magic packets, wake up on LAN as well as the monitoring of all such stuff I've just about had enough of Pc's ?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the PC's are still using spinning rust, then now may be a good time to get them migrated to SSD's. They have become much cheaper & more reliable, use less power & silent. 

There are tools available to transfer the whole disk at a bit level, so that on swapping over they will be the boot device etc. and you'll be pleasantly surprised at the increased speed.

19 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

If the PC's are still using spinning rust, then now may be a good time to get them migrated to SSD's. They have become much cheaper & more reliable, use less power & silent. 

There are tools available to transfer the whole disk at a bit level, so that on swapping over they will be the boot device etc. and you'll be pleasantly surprised at the increased speed.

Both PC's SSD's and less than 6 months old.

Finally able to start putting the obs back together.... the large rig is in place. We moved the pier back by about 2 inches, so now there's no risk of a front wall collision. I've slewed all around the sky, with the roof on ( :) ) and not a single worrying moment, there's sufficient clearance on the roof height and all around :)  Everything even connected up first time (once the PC was sorted) 

Need some clear to polar align, then when that's all done I'll bring the dual rig in that will go at the opposite end of the obs. The space in here now compared to before is just superb......... I still duck when I'm inside as the old roof was too low to stand up straight!

TMB rig in place.jpg

That looks absolutely cracking, Sara.  Seems a long time coming but more than worth the wait, and the extra headroom is a real bonus.  If your weather is anything like I just had then the clear sky could be the most elusive element, but I certainly hope not!!

Look forward to seeing the results from the new palace.

Archived