SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A perfectly good observatory... in bits!!!

swag72

My observatory was built in 2014/15 and it has served me well. Somehow my kit seems to suffer from having it's own reproductive cycle and so I've now got a dual rig. It has been used on the terrace since November, but it's not idea. It wouldn't fit in the observatory and so it was time for an extension.......

I have gone from a perfectly functioning observatory to this ....... *shock* *crying* 

Sara_OO3.jpg

1.jpeg

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, FLO said:

Hope the extension work goes well, Sara :smile: 

Thanks Steve :)

10 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

extension??? you mean making a bigger observatory.....

Yes it will be about double the original size.

10 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Good luck Sara, I'm looking forward to seeing the 'after' pics, i.e. those of the new observatory, as well as those from using it :icon_biggrin:

At the moment Geof I can't imagine it will ever look OK! 

4 minutes ago, coatesg said:

Taking up radio astronomy from the size of that dish! :D

Ha! That's the size satellite dish we need to pick up UK FreeSat :) 

16 minutes ago, FLO said:

Those vibration suppression pads are a bit full-on :biggrin:

Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 11.27.55.png

Ha! Cheaper than proper ones at about 75 cents a bag! Actually they are more to steady it all in the winds that we get..... we were worried that the wind may knock it over...... suffice to say it held ?

1 hour ago, swag72 said:

My observatory was built in 2014/15 and it has served me well. Somehow my kit seems to suffer from having it's own reproductive cycle and so I've now got a dual rig. It has been used on the terrace since November, but it's not idea. It wouldn't fit in the observatory and so it was time for an extension.......

If only....our kit multiplying has led to the spawning of further observatories! We have gone from one to three in as many years. 

5 minutes ago, MrsGnomus said:

If only....our kit multiplying has led to the spawning of further observatories! We have gone from one to three in as many years. 

I don't have the space.... this is it ? Nowhere else to put another observatory

Just now, JamesF said:

The swimming pool appears to be empty? :D

James

Had a clean and will be re-grouted while the builder is here. While I only use the pool for 6 weeks a year I'd not be without it.... even for another observatory ?

14 minutes ago, swag72 said:

Had a clean and will be re-grouted while the builder is here. While I only use the pool for 6 weeks a year I'd not be without it.... even for another observatory ?

Is it really not warm enough to use for the rest of the year?

James

Just now, JamesF said:

Is it really not warm enough to use for the rest of the year?

James

Goodness no!!! My parents pool is up to a balmy 15 degrees at the moment...... We don't get in until its 28!!! In the winter its down to about 7-9 degrees 

1 minute ago, swag72 said:

And it gets even worse .......

5.JPG

Ahhh, I think I see one of the reasons that perhaps the heat retention discussed in another thread may not be such an issue for you.  The bricks used to build the walls are hollow, so they'll not store as much heat.  I did wonder if that might be the case.

James

1 minute ago, swag72 said:

Goodness no!!! My parents pool is up to a balmy 15 degrees at the moment...... We don't get in until its 28!!! In the winter its down to about 7-9 degrees 

Fair enough, to be honest.  28C is about the minimum you'd want unless you were swimming hard and 29C is much more comfortable.  It's surprising how different even half a degree feels.  (The heating at my local pool regularly struggles at the start of the winter and sometimes gets down close to 27C.  That feels very cold.)

I know there are people who swim in much colder water, but I reckon they do it because, like bashing your head against a brick wall, it feels so good when you stop :D

James

2 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Fair enough, to be honest.  28C is about the minimum you'd want unless you were swimming hard and 29C is much more comfortable.  It's surprising how different even half a degree feels.  (The heating at my local pool regularly struggles at the start of the winter and sometimes gets down close to 27C.  That feels very cold.)

I know there are people who swim in much colder water, but I reckon they do it because, like bashing your head against a brick wall, it feels so good when you stop :D

James

I have been quite a swimmer in my time, but sadly this pool just isn't big enough to swim in......... A couple of strokes and you are across :( So I have taken to just bobbing about and cooling off. 

At the end of Day 1..... Also what you can't see here is that the pool was acid cleaned. On either side of the steps were small sheds that were low and had old wooden doors. These have been completely removed as they will be rebuilt. You can see the floor print on the left.... that will be one 'shed' at a standard height and on the right of the steps will be the second 'shed' - That will be mine for storage..... 

7.JPG

Archived