Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SynScan WiFi & Stellarium - a dummies guide!

Dazzyt66

OK, my second guide, this took a bit more thinking about cos I haven’t used Stellarium before but I wanted a ‘single device’ option as my other stuff is IOS. I will be using this with my Canon tethered to the PC by an active usb cable so I can do pretty much everything (bar focussing) indoors when it’s too cold outside!

Anyway, this how I did it. If there is a better way I am happy to update this guide. Let me know. Hopefully this is straight forward cos there isn’t a lot of info on how to do this all in one place! I’ve had this working indoors this PM so I’m really excited to try it at night now. Note that you need to be connected to the SynScan WiFi network to control your scope.

1.    Download & install Stellarium (I’m using v18) – do not run at this point
2.    Download & install Stellarium Scope (I’m using v2016.12.26.330) – do not run at this point
3.    Download ASCOM software & install (I used ASCOM Platform63) – do not run at this point
4.    Download ASCOM driver from Skywatcher & install
5.    Download and install SynScan App (it will run either Alt Az or Eq mounts as needed)
6.    Connect to SynScan WiFi & open SynScan app, settings, WiFi and select Access Point mode (which is what I used as it seemed most straight forward). Add naming and security as needed. Note that the unit ‘resets’ to factory settings if powered up and unaccessed for 24 hrs (I have also seen this as 1 hr but haven’t tried it).
7.    OPTIONAL TEST STEP OTHERWISE GO TO STEP 8. In settings set to ‘emulator’ if you want to test first. Go back to main screen and ‘connect’ – you will need to select eq or alt az. Note: you can do this part without the WiFi adaptor as it is only testing the software. Go to step 9. 
8.   In settings, select UDP, go back to main screen and connect (select eq or alt az). Do a star align if you are ready and leave running. 
9.    Run ASCOM diagnostics, tools, telescope chooser .net – select SynScanMobile Telescope in dropdown box. You may have to select and exit properties before ‘OK’ is enabled.
10.    Open Stellarium Scope. Accept the disclaimer, select mount as ASCOM.Synscanmobile.Telescope and connect.
11.    Label your Telescope on this screen if you want and then select update Stellarium. Accept all the warnings. If you want to customise further look in ‘options’ for auto start of Stellarium etc. You may need to update Stellarium again via this screen if you change anything.
12.    Open Stellarium. It should now be ready with your scope. If you scroll around the reticle should be on the star you last aligned. You are now good to go! Select something in Stellarium and press CNTL and 1 together. Your scope should slew to the new target. Conversely, if you select something on the SynScan App it will show in Stellarium.
13.    If you did this all in test mode and have a SynScan WiFi connected you should now be able to go to step 8. You do not need to do the other steps again apart from restarting Stellarium Scope and Stellarium. I have Stellarium auto open in options so I just click on StellariumScope.

Hope that helps anyone interested. I’m happy to update this as needed, or do pics if required.

PS I’m running this on a Win10 Dell Laptop - I have experienced a ‘form error’ bug when looking up stars in the SynScan App but that maybe because I moved the folder to a new location so it can’t find a library or something. It’ll be interesting if anyone else gets this. This does not affect the running in Stellarium so I’ve ignored it for now and will recheck later. UPDATE: 19/04 - I raised this with SW app team. It appears there is a DB missing from the v1.9 zip (previous versions are fine), they are rectifying asap - so it wasn’t me!! ?

This is exactly how I run my setup :) how long is your active usb cable? Mine is 20m and comes with a seperate power supply. Bit terrified to plug it in to be honest. I'm not sure I want to blow my nice camera up

19 minutes ago, StaceStar said:

This is exactly how I run my setup :) how long is your active usb cable? Mine is 20m and comes with a seperate power supply. Bit terrified to plug it in to be honest. I'm not sure I want to blow my nice camera up

Good to know I got it right then!! ?

Wow! I only went for a 5m which is powered from my laptop so I’m hoping it will all be ok - haven’t tried it yet!

10 minutes ago, Dazzyt66 said:

Good to know I got it right then!! ?

Wow! I only went for a 5m which is powered from my laptop so I’m hoping it will all be ok - haven’t tried it yet!

My garden is quite long :) will give my 5m version a go :)

1 hour ago, StaceStar said:

I'm not sure I want to blow my nice camera up

It wont blow up your camera - unless its got a big fault with the wiring(never happened to me in 20 yrs). I might not work or be slow. You dont say what s/w you are using for the camera

2 hours ago, Dazzyt66 said:

OK, my second guide, this took a bit more thinking about cos I haven’t used Stellarium before but I wanted a ‘single device’ option as my other stuff is IOS. I will be using this with my Canon tethered to the PC by an active usb cable so I can do pretty much everything (bar focussing) indoors when it’s too cold outside!

Anyway, this how I did it. If there is a better way I am happy to update this guide. Let me know. Hopefully this is straight forward cos there isn’t a lot of info on how to do this all in one place! I’ve had this working indoors this PM so I’m really excited to try it at night now.

2.    Download & install Stellarium Scope (I’m using v2016.12.26.330) – do not run at this point
3.    Download ASCOM software & install (I used ASCOM Platform63) – do not run at this point
5.    Download and install SynScan App (it will run either Alt Az or Eq mounts as needed)
6.    Open SynScan app
7.    OPTIONAL TEST STEP OTHERWISE GO TO STEP 8. In settings set to ‘emulator’ if you want to test first. Go back to main screen and ‘connect’ – you will need to select eq or alt az. Note: you can do this part without the WiFi adaptor as it is only testing the software. Go to step 9. 
8.   In settings, select UDP, go back to main screen and connect (select eq or alt az). Do a star align if you are ready and leave running. 
9.    Run ASCOM diagnostics, tools, telescope chooser .net – select SynScanMobile Telescope in dropdown box. You may have to select and exit properties before ‘OK’ is enabled.
10.    Open Stellarium Scope. Accept the disclaimer, select mount as ASCOM.Synscanmobile.Telescope and connect.
11.    Label your Telescope on this screen if you want and then select update Stellarium. Accept all the warnings. If you want to customise further look in ‘options’ for auto start of Stellarium etc. You may need to update Stellarium again via this screen if you change anything.
12.    Open Stellarium. It should now be ready with your scope. If you scroll around the reticle should be on the star you last aligned. You are now good to go! Select something in Stellarium and press CNTL and 1 together. Your scope should slew to the new target. Conversely, if you select something on the SynScan App it will show in Stellarium.
13.    If you did this all in test mode and have a SynScan WiFi connected you should now be able to go to step 8. You do not need to do the other steps again apart from restarting Stellarium Scope and Stellarium. I have Stellarium auto open in options so I just click on StellariumScope.

Hope that helps anyone interested. I’m happy to update this as needed, or do pics if required.

PS I’m running this on a Win10 Dell Laptop - I have experienced a ‘form error’ bug when looking up stars in the SynScan App but that maybe because I moved the folder to a new location so it can’t find a library or something. It’ll be interesting if anyone else gets this. This does not affect the running in Stellarium so I’ve ignored it for now and will recheck later.

You didn't say if you are (or have already ) setting up the SynScan Adapter in AP or STA mode.  :-)

5 minutes ago, stash_old said:

You didn't say if you are (or have already ) setting up the SynScan Adapter in AP or STA mode.  :-)

Good point. I did this in Access Point mode. I’ll update the steps above to show that so it doesn’t get lost in the thread. ?

• 3 months later...
On 18/04/2018 at 14:39, Dazzyt66 said:

Anyway, this how I did it. If there is a better way I am happy to update this guide. Let me know. Hopefully this is straight forward cos there isn’t a lot of info on how to do this all in one place! I’ve had this working indoors this PM so I’m really excited to try it at night now. Note that you need to be connected to the SynScan WiFi network to control your scope.

6.    Connect to SynScan WiFi & open SynScan app, settings, WiFi and select Access Point mode (which is what I used as it seemed most straight forward). Add naming and security as needed. Note that the unit ‘resets’ to factory settings if powered up and unaccessed for 24 hrs (I have also seen this as 1 hr but haven’t tried it).

PS I’m running this on a Win10 Dell Laptop - I have experienced a ‘form error’ bug when looking up stars in the SynScan App but that maybe because I moved the folder to a new location so it can’t find a library or something. It’ll be interesting if anyone else gets this. This does not affect the running in Stellarium so I’ve ignored it for now and will recheck later. UPDATE: 19/04 - I raised this with SW app team. It appears there is a DB missing from the v1.9 zip (previous versions are fine), they are rectifying asap - so it wasn’t me!! ?

Very informative and as a newbie this should go along way helping me set up, i know its a big ask but would it be possible to post some pics so the info would be easier to navigate 

• 3 months later...

I'm having problems getting Stellarium for MacOS talking to my iOS Synscan Pro App on iPhone and Synscan WiFi device and running my mount (EQ6). I can get Kstars to work via the Indi drivers but I prefer Stellarium. Was previously using it with a PL2302 Serial/USB connection and EQMac - which worked OK - with wires! Has anyone had Stellarium for MacOS working via the Synscan Pro App on iOS? I've defined the scope in Stellarium as Indirect with IP address 192.164.4.2 and Port 11882 and they are all on the Synscan Wifi Network - says it is connected but shows no crosshairs and will not slew. Any help appreciated. 

Thanks.

Terry

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you very much for putting this together.  I am also a newbie and I have been trying to set up my daughter's new scope with Synscan wi-fi dongle. She has an android tablet to use instead of the Synscan handset (we couldn't stretch to that!)  

I have installed the Synscan app on the tablet, set up the Wi-Fi network and checked that the app has found my location (although is there anything that will allow me to check its accuracy, i.e. a N & W position?)  Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but will I need to align with polaris manually before using the Go-To functions in the app, or can I go straight to one of the alignment functions in the app (I looked at this last night and it mentioned something about having to do a manual adjustment after aligning, which has thrown me somewhat).  I wasn't able to clarify this last night because like the rest of the UK, we are waiting in vain for a less cloudy night in the hope that we might be able to see something!

Someone mentioned on a thread I stumbled across this morning (which I can no longer find, of course!) that you can do all of the preparation in the day time.  Can you do a star alignment during daylight (again, apologies if this is a dumb question).

Finally, I haven't (yet) downloaded Stellarium.  Is it more intuitive to use than the Synscan app?

Any help would be very gratefully received.  Thank you.

Hi @TPF

Glad you found the guide useful.

You will need to do a rough polar alignment (unless you are doing photography which will need an accurate setup). Search YouTube on polar alignment if you need help on this - there are some simple guides there.

So, for rough, just point the scope north, at the approximate elevation, unless at night and you can see Polaris and do it properly. If doing it in daylight just point north at approximate elevation. You should then be able to test the setup with a ‘single star’ alignment using either the moon or Venus (depending on time of day and visibility obvs).

Hope that helps!

Stellarium is a great addition to have, it’s more than just an app, it’s a great way to explore the sky virtually as well as using it to control your nights out - but it takes a bit of additional setup.

Daz

On 03/12/2018 at 20:43, des anderson said:

Thanks a lot, that was very informative,BUT not having a SynScan handset,i`ve got an AVX mount can I do the same with my handset?? Des

I dunno Des, I have no knowledge of AVX but the Synscan app is designed to be used with Synscan compatible mounts (either EQ or Alt/Az)...

• 3 months later...

Hello,

first of all thanks for your guide! I am an newbie in astronomy and only one year in.

A friend of mine tested the SynScan App and we thought about connecting it to Stellarium on Windows. This was when we found your guide. We tried to follow all steps, but as guys, who learned english as an second language, we dont understand everything.

On 18/04/2018 at 15:39, Dazzyt66 said:

For example we dont know the meaning of UDP and didnt find it in the seetings of SynScan either. Can you please explain the phrase with other words? ?

Thank you!

Andy

Archived