Jump to content

Stars_Banner.jpg.843f9de1cf2bdcd4b91ede4312ecf0ca.jpg

SynScan WiFi and iOS - dummies guide!


Dazzyt66
 Share

Recommended Posts

My new SynScan WiFi arrived today and in less than 30 mins I had it up and running on both my phone using SynScan pro app and iPad mini 2 using SkySafari 5! I can’t wait to use it at night!! No clouds please ?

For all those that may need step by step (as I did), I thought I’d put this together as a one stop shop for SynScan WiFi using iOS device - so this is how I set it up on my HEQ5:

1.    Buy a SynScan WiFi adapter!
2.    Download the free SynScan app from iTunes or Sky-Watcher (‘pro’ version if you are using eq mounts)
3.    Plug WiFi adapter directly into the mount (instead of the handset)
4.    Power up mount (it powers the WiFi)
5.    Locate the network on your device (mine is iPhone 5s but also did it on iPad Mini 2)
6.    You may want to set your device to ‘forget’ (or set the connection not to auto join) any other nearby WiFi you use as it may switch over depending on signal strength which will make you lose connection with the mount. I haven’t experienced this yet.
7.    Make sure auto lock on the phone is off (it will disconnect from the wifi if it locks) – so set auto lock to ‘never’
8.    Open the the SynScan app
9.    ‘Connect’ - it will identify your mount at the top of the screen
10.    Viola!! You should now be able to star align and use your phone as a handset

The next steps are if you also want to use SkySafari (I’m using v5 pro on my iPad (Note: do not have SynScan app open on the iPad as well as your other device at the same time - this may stop SS linking to your other device):

1.    Download SS app (now v6)
2.    With phone connected as above and ONLY polar aligned at this point ready to use, open the settings menu in SS
3.    Select IP address and get this from your phone (settings, WiFi, network you are connected to, First IP address at top of list)
4.    Use port 11882
5.    Connect
6.    You should now be able to see your telescope reticule in SS pointing at Polaris. Do whatever star alignment you prefer using your phone. 

7.    You should see SS mimic your telescope alignments and adjust itself as you confirm on the phone.

8.    You are now good to use SS to navigate!

You will need to keep the SynScan app running to use both apps together. If you just want the SynScan app on your iPad you can do that too (same as phone setup above) BUT you will not be able to run both on same device. If you have a new type of device (iPad Air 2 or iPad Mini 4) that runs split screen it may work (I don’t actually know if this is true but from what I’ve read it might):

https://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/16/ios-9-split-screen-multitasking-ipad/

If someone tries this and let’s me know I’ll update this guide.

I think if you definitely want to run it off one device you will have to use Android. Again I have no experience of this but it will be similar to above except that android devices can run simultaneous apps.

I am also setting up my pc with Stellarium so I will do a similar guide for that shortly.

I am really REALLY excited to use this!

Hope that helps, I know I had to hunt around in various places to confirm how and what worked.

Edited by Dazzyt66
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had my first light with this setup last night and can say it worked brilliantly! I couldn’t get my iPad and phone to work together but I know this is because I used SynScan on my iPad first before moving to the iPhone to try them together (I’ve deleted the SynScan app from my iPad now and it works fine). Independently, both work fine with the app. 2 star alignment put us bang on second star and all subsequent targets were centre of finder afterwards.

I may have had the luck of a newbie visitor attending as my daughter came to stay and was blown away by the ‘faint fuzzies’ (her words for Bodes) we could see from my light polluted Doncaster garden!

I also found putting the phone on the darkest ‘night shift’ mode (under display settings) helps with maintaining night vision should you accidentally lock the phone - yes, I did that a few times! The app didn’t seem to lose connection with the mount in these brief periods so all was good!

All in all a great experience for a first light and I really prefer the app to the handset - mainly because you can select from a list of targets rather than scroll through. Although an added ‘common name’ search may be asking for perfection instead of having to know (ok, lookup) Messier and NGC numbers). This is being ultra picky though!

One thing I have done is replace the short connector cable with my old handset cable so I could loosely tie wrap the dongle around the centre bolt - see pic. I was a bit worried of the dongle just ‘hanging in the breeze’ and possibly catching the scope during slews!

I’ll experiment more with the dual device SS setup again tonight, skies willing!! ?

522EF301-AFE7-4CA5-A896-12FED2F34104.jpeg

Edited by Dazzyt66
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dazzyt66 said:

I also found putting the phone on the darkest ‘night shift’ mode (under display settings) helps with maintaining night vision should you accidentally lock the phon

Have you tried the options in Settings > Accessibility > Display Accomodations?

In there you can set the display to red (or any colour) and this applies to everything, even if you exit the app. You can also reduce the white point right down. These two combined really help reduce impact on night vision.

Note that it still helps with visibility of menus to put SS in night mode.

1B6BB2EA-1481-4AA9-9105-3D9A876B2A44.png

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Dazzyt

Have had the WiFi adapter for a while now

Just using straight from adapter to my Android device

Problem I have, when 2 star alignment,   I use Sirius and Canopus, been southern hemisphere

When align first star, directions indicate to save move controller up and right

Do not get save bit

Go to second star, and App chooses star it wants, and not able to search for one I want

Any hints

Love way App sets your GPS location, time and date

I also use in solar mode, no star alignment, with my Coronado SolarMax11

When doing solar viewing, the app gives you an maths question, and have to type in answer

 

John

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...
On 18/04/2018 at 14:29, Dazzyt66 said:

My new SynScan WiFi arrived today and in less than 30 mins I had it up and running on both my phone using SynScan pro app and iPad mini 2 using SkySafari 5! I can’t wait to use it at night!! No clouds please ?

For all those that may need step by step (as I did), I thought I’d put this together as a one stop shop for SynScan WiFi using iOS device - so this is how I set it up on my HEQ5:

1.    Buy a SynScan WiFi adapter!
2.    Download the free SynScan app from iTunes or Sky-Watcher (‘pro’ version if you are using eq mounts)
3.    Plug WiFi adapter directly into the mount (instead of the handset)
4.    Power up mount (it powers the WiFi)
5.    Locate the network on your device (mine is iPhone 5s but also did it on iPad Mini 2)
6.    You may want to set your device to ‘forget’ (or set the connection not to auto join) any other nearby WiFi you use as it may switch over depending on signal strength which will make you lose connection with the mount. I haven’t experienced this yet.
7.    Make sure auto lock on the phone is off (it will disconnect from the wifi if it locks) – so set auto lock to ‘never’
8.    Open the the SynScan app
9.    ‘Connect’ - it will identify your mount at the top of the screen
10.    Viola!! You should now be able to star align and use your phone as a handset

The next steps are if you also want to use SkySafari (I’m using v5 pro on my iPad (Note: do not have SynScan app open on the iPad as well as your other device at the same time - this may stop SS linking to your other device):

1.    Download SS app (now v6)
2.    With phone connected as above and ONLY polar aligned at this point ready to use, open the settings menu in SS
3.    Select IP address and get this from your phone (settings, WiFi, network you are connected to, First IP address at top of list)
4.    Use port 11882
5.    Connect
6.    You should now be able to see your telescope reticule in SS pointing at Polaris. Do whatever star alignment you prefer using your phone. 

7.    You should see SS mimic your telescope alignments and adjust itself as you confirm on the phone.

8.    You are now good to use SS to navigate!

You will need to keep the SynScan app running to use both apps together. If you just want the SynScan app on your iPad you can do that too (same as phone setup above) BUT you will not be able to run both on same device. If you have a new type of device (iPad Air 2 or iPad Mini 4) that runs split screen it may work (I don’t actually know if this is true but from what I’ve read it might):

https://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/16/ios-9-split-screen-multitasking-ipad/

If someone tries this and let’s me know I’ll update this guide.

I think if you definitely want to run it off one device you will have to use Android. Again I have no experience of this but it will be similar to above except that android devices can run simultaneous apps.

I am also setting up my pc with Stellarium so I will do a similar guide for that shortly.

I am really REALLY excited to use this!

Hope that helps, I know I had to hunt around in various places to confirm how and what worked.

What if you can't see polaris from your position, eg it's behind a tall building etc?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/10/2019 at 08:14, davekelley said:

What if you can't see polaris from your position, eg it's behind a tall building etc?

Hey,

Thats ok, if you are only doing visual stuff, just do a rough alignment north using a compass and set your elevation. The alignment process after that should get you pretty much bang on.

HTH.

🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

THANK YOU so much @Dazzyt66 for taking the time to write the SynScan stuff. I will be using it on my iPhone / iPad and you answered so many of the questions I didn’t have to bother people with 😄

You mentioned you might be trying to get it to work with Stellarium and writing a ‘how to’. I will go look for that but I wanted to thank you for your hard work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/04/2018 at 15:29, Dazzyt66 said:

https://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/16/ios-9-split-screen-multitasking-ipad/

If someone tries this and let’s me know I’ll update this guide.

I have an iPad Air 5th generation running version 15.6 and can say that it doesn’t work I’m afraid. When you select the SynScan app it says “not supported” which is a pain because Stellarium IS supported.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/04/2018 at 23:23, m.tweedy said:

turn your iphone or ipad red

IT WORKS

MANY thanks. Works perfectly and how useful by just using three clicks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.