Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Dazzyt66

SynScan WiFi and iOS - dummies guide!

My new SynScan WiFi arrived today and in less than 30 mins I had it up and running on both my phone using SynScan pro app and iPad mini 2 using SkySafari 5! I can’t wait to use it at night!! No clouds please ?

For all those that may need step by step (as I did), I thought I’d put this together as a one stop shop for SynScan WiFi using iOS device - so this is how I set it up on my HEQ5:

1.    Buy a SynScan WiFi adapter!
2.    Download the free SynScan app from iTunes or Sky-Watcher (‘pro’ version if you are using eq mounts)
3.    Plug WiFi adapter directly into the mount (instead of the handset)
4.    Power up mount (it powers the WiFi)
5.    Locate the network on your device (mine is iPhone 5s but also did it on iPad Mini 2)
6.    You may want to set your device to ‘forget’ (or set the connection not to auto join) any other nearby WiFi you use as it may switch over depending on signal strength which will make you lose connection with the mount. I haven’t experienced this yet.
7.    Make sure auto lock on the phone is off (it will disconnect from the wifi if it locks) – so set auto lock to ‘never’
8.    Open the the SynScan app
9.    ‘Connect’ - it will identify your mount at the top of the screen
10.    Viola!! You should now be able to star align and use your phone as a handset

The next steps are if you also want to use SkySafari (I’m using v5 pro on my iPad (Note: do not have SynScan app open on the iPad as well as your other device at the same time - this may stop SS linking to your other device):

1.    Download SS app (now v6)
2.    With phone connected as above and ONLY polar aligned at this point ready to use, open the settings menu in SS
3.    Select IP address and get this from your phone (settings, WiFi, network you are connected to, First IP address at top of list)
4.    Use port 11882
5.    Connect
6.    You should now be able to see your telescope reticule in SS pointing at Polaris. Do whatever star alignment you prefer using your phone. 

7.    You should see SS mimic your telescope alignments and adjust itself as you confirm on the phone.

8.    You are now good to use SS to navigate!

You will need to keep the SynScan app running to use both apps together. If you just want the SynScan app on your iPad you can do that too (same as phone setup above) BUT you will not be able to run both on same device. If you have a new type of device (iPad Air 2 or iPad Mini 4) that runs split screen it may work (I don’t actually know if this is true but from what I’ve read it might):

https://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/16/ios-9-split-screen-multitasking-ipad/

If someone tries this and let’s me know I’ll update this guide.

I think if you definitely want to run it off one device you will have to use Android. Again I have no experience of this but it will be similar to above except that android devices can run simultaneous apps.

I am also setting up my pc with Stellarium so I will do a similar guide for that shortly.

I am really REALLY excited to use this!

Hope that helps, I know I had to hunt around in various places to confirm how and what worked.

Edited by Dazzyt66
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/04/2018 at 14:32, Demonperformer said:

Love the idea of plugging wife adapter into the mount. :icon_biggrin: Ain't autocorrect great.

? I’ve amended, although it did make me laugh...

• Like 1

I had my first light with this setup last night and can say it worked brilliantly! I couldn’t get my iPad and phone to work together but I know this is because I used SynScan on my iPad first before moving to the iPhone to try them together (I’ve deleted the SynScan app from my iPad now and it works fine). Independently, both work fine with the app. 2 star alignment put us bang on second star and all subsequent targets were centre of finder afterwards.

I may have had the luck of a newbie visitor attending as my daughter came to stay and was blown away by the ‘faint fuzzies’ (her words for Bodes) we could see from my light polluted Doncaster garden!

I also found putting the phone on the darkest ‘night shift’ mode (under display settings) helps with maintaining night vision should you accidentally lock the phone - yes, I did that a few times! The app didn’t seem to lose connection with the mount in these brief periods so all was good!

All in all a great experience for a first light and I really prefer the app to the handset - mainly because you can select from a list of targets rather than scroll through. Although an added ‘common name’ search may be asking for perfection instead of having to know (ok, lookup) Messier and NGC numbers). This is being ultra picky though!

One thing I have done is replace the short connector cable with my old handset cable so I could loosely tie wrap the dongle around the centre bolt - see pic. I was a bit worried of the dongle just ‘hanging in the breeze’ and possibly catching the scope during slews!

I’ll experiment more with the dual device SS setup again tonight, skies willing!! ?

522EF301-AFE7-4CA5-A896-12FED2F34104.jpeg

Edited by Dazzyt66
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dazzyt66 said:

I also found putting the phone on the darkest ‘night shift’ mode (under display settings) helps with maintaining night vision should you accidentally lock the phon

Have you tried the options in Settings > Accessibility > Display Accomodations?

In there you can set the display to red (or any colour) and this applies to everything, even if you exit the app. You can also reduce the white point right down. These two combined really help reduce impact on night vision.

Note that it still helps with visibility of menus to put SS in night mode.

1B6BB2EA-1481-4AA9-9105-3D9A876B2A44.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dazzyt

Have had the WiFi adapter for a while now

Just using straight from adapter to my Android device

Problem I have, when 2 star alignment,   I use Sirius and Canopus, been southern hemisphere

When align first star, directions indicate to save move controller up and right

Do not get save bit

Go to second star, and App chooses star it wants, and not able to search for one I want

Any hints

Love way App sets your GPS location, time and date

I also use in solar mode, no star alignment, with my Coronado SolarMax11

When doing solar viewing, the app gives you an maths question, and have to type in answer

John

On 18/04/2018 at 14:29, Dazzyt66 said:

My new SynScan WiFi arrived today and in less than 30 mins I had it up and running on both my phone using SynScan pro app and iPad mini 2 using SkySafari 5! I can’t wait to use it at night!! No clouds please ?

For all those that may need step by step (as I did), I thought I’d put this together as a one stop shop for SynScan WiFi using iOS device - so this is how I set it up on my HEQ5:

1.    Buy a SynScan WiFi adapter!
2.    Download the free SynScan app from iTunes or Sky-Watcher (‘pro’ version if you are using eq mounts)
3.    Plug WiFi adapter directly into the mount (instead of the handset)
4.    Power up mount (it powers the WiFi)
5.    Locate the network on your device (mine is iPhone 5s but also did it on iPad Mini 2)
6.    You may want to set your device to ‘forget’ (or set the connection not to auto join) any other nearby WiFi you use as it may switch over depending on signal strength which will make you lose connection with the mount. I haven’t experienced this yet.
7.    Make sure auto lock on the phone is off (it will disconnect from the wifi if it locks) – so set auto lock to ‘never’
8.    Open the the SynScan app
9.    ‘Connect’ - it will identify your mount at the top of the screen
10.    Viola!! You should now be able to star align and use your phone as a handset

The next steps are if you also want to use SkySafari (I’m using v5 pro on my iPad (Note: do not have SynScan app open on the iPad as well as your other device at the same time - this may stop SS linking to your other device):

1.    Download SS app (now v6)
2.    With phone connected as above and ONLY polar aligned at this point ready to use, open the settings menu in SS
3.    Select IP address and get this from your phone (settings, WiFi, network you are connected to, First IP address at top of list)
4.    Use port 11882
5.    Connect
6.    You should now be able to see your telescope reticule in SS pointing at Polaris. Do whatever star alignment you prefer using your phone. 

7.    You should see SS mimic your telescope alignments and adjust itself as you confirm on the phone.

8.    You are now good to use SS to navigate!

You will need to keep the SynScan app running to use both apps together. If you just want the SynScan app on your iPad you can do that too (same as phone setup above) BUT you will not be able to run both on same device. If you have a new type of device (iPad Air 2 or iPad Mini 4) that runs split screen it may work (I don’t actually know if this is true but from what I’ve read it might):

https://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/16/ios-9-split-screen-multitasking-ipad/

If someone tries this and let’s me know I’ll update this guide.

I think if you definitely want to run it off one device you will have to use Android. Again I have no experience of this but it will be similar to above except that android devices can run simultaneous apps.

I am also setting up my pc with Stellarium so I will do a similar guide for that shortly.

I am really REALLY excited to use this!

Hope that helps, I know I had to hunt around in various places to confirm how and what worked.

What if you can't see polaris from your position, eg it's behind a tall building etc?

On 28/10/2019 at 08:14, davekelley said:

What if you can't see polaris from your position, eg it's behind a tall building etc?

Hey,

Thats ok, if you are only doing visual stuff, just do a rough alignment north using a compass and set your elevation. The alignment process after that should get you pretty much bang on.

HTH.

🙂

Hello @Dazzyt66

Just attempted this in the garage and you have just made my day. 
Worked like a charm. Looking to try out in anger now once a bit of sky appears.  Lol 

Thank you.  John 

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By pete_81
      Hi guys,
      With new mount and upgraded scope features, now looking to venture into imaging.
      Before I start, I'm not looking to get feedback on polar alignment, mono guidecam, better imaging cameras, etc; this is more a 'dummies guide' setup discussion! I'm not expecting to get great images at this stage, just more the options available, getting over some issues, so that I can jump outside on a clear night with an ideal, foolproof(!), setup for either imaging or visual as time would permit and what may work best for me. As you may guess from the topic name, I'm a mac user (Macbook Pro) and would rather keep to this if possible (whilst I do have Windows (and Ubuntu) via parallels, I'd rather not use these).
      I've got a setup which has worked well for visual, and obviously want to have a couple of 'staple' setups that I can use depending on expectations of night observing or imaging. So far, the best one for me has been the Skywatcher Wifi Synscan controller, which has worked a treat with my Android phone - I use the Synscan app to complete alignment and GOTO stars/planets/DSO etc, or Stellarium_plus after completing alignment. This removes the need for the Synscan Handset and any USB cables to the mount altogether. But I don't know if this will work for guiding.
      That then brings me to my issue on mac - connecting USB(A) between Macbook and Handset, I've attempted to control the mount through Stellarium. Trying each of the available connections (/dev/tty.usbsetial-1420, /dev/cu.usbsetial-1420, and just for sake of it, the /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port and /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port) in the dropdown menu under DeviceSettings/SerialPort, I cannot get the mount to connect (well, more like selecting the telescope and clicking the "Start" on the TelescopeControl just results in the spinning icon and I have to Force-Quit Stellarium and start again with the same result each time. Annoyingly (for fellow mac users!), Parallels/Windows/Stellarium connects and controls the mount fine! As the mount is the newer "pro" type, I also have a USB connection directly under the hand-controller RJ45 and AutoGuider ST4 sockets, but using this still results in the same issue. Another issue I have seen is that when I unplug the USB from the computer when connected to the handset, the date on the controller jumps significantly - for example, last night at ~23:30, I was transported through the local wormhole galaxy to Jan 2048 according to Synscan! Obviously unplugging isn't going to happen during a genuine session, but just wondering if this is a possible issue somewhere?!
      Any other mac users connecting USB directly to the SW 'Pro' mounts?
      Software wise, would folks generally suggest steering away from Stellarium towards KStars or SkySafari(Plus) for controlling the mount?
      Can the Wifi dongle be used for controlling mount from computer (any OS) or do I need to go USB either to handset or directly to mount?
      Is there an issue in using Mac USB to the telescope compared to 'straight' Windows (i.e. PC/laptop with Windows instead of virtual)?
      Anyway, back to topic... I've a Nikon DSLR to use for primary camera at this stage, which would be triggered independently from guiding software. PHD2 is my hopeful choice of guiding software (is EKOS with KStars similar?), with T7C guide-camera on 240mm f/4 guidescope, and at this stage, I can confirm PHD2 at least connects to the camera on OS-X. There is an ST4 port on the camera, but having read several topics, I think I want to pulse-guide directly - is this correct or is ST4 best for this setup? This sorta comes back to software and connections - my understanding is one of the following cable setups for guiding (as a minimum) :
      Guiding-camera => USB(A) => Macbook => PHD2 => USB(A) => SynscanHandset => AZEQ6
      Guiding-camera => USB(A) => Macbook => PHD2 => USB(A) => AZEQ6
      Guiding-camera => USB(A) => Macbook => PHD2 => Wifi => SynscaWifi Adapter on AZEQ6
      [using ST4: ST4_on_AZEQ6 => Guiding-camera => USB(A) => Macbook => PHD2] (no additional connections needed if ST4 is used)
      Additionally, I'd like to use an observatory package, say Stellarium/KStars/SkySafari, to select objects and drive the mount, then use guiding software to keep good 'tracking'.
      Where in this train does EQMac fit in, or when is it used?
      What about the 2019 addition to EQMod (ASCOM Alpaca)? Can this be used or is it already in other packages?!
      For Windows users, how does EQMod fit in (if I go down route of getting Windows laptop for controlling things, is the setup similar to above?
      There may be bits in the above that repeat, and for that, I'm sorry, just want to get across the message that I'm new to the guiding but haven't quite settled down into the software/hardware I'm expecting to use for 'goto' and 'guiding'
      TLDR:
      For a mac user, what setup and software are folks using for guiding and observatory softwares for the newer USB-on-mount 'AZEQ6/EQ6-R Pro' mounts from SW?
    • By williamnohair
      Hi
      am posting this in case it helps anyone who has suffered the same problem as myself.
      In a nutshell: Own a Skywatcher Gti mount for some time now and used with some success, also purchased some time ago Skysafari and wanted to use both, with a problem much reported on the web and so much information out there that it can get a bit confusing and certainly in my case frustrating, after all just want stuff to work!
      After much experimenting and help from other postings this is what happens when you fire up the Gti.
      The mount generates its own wireless network and becomes the gateway, its IP address is always 192.168.4.1 you see this when making a connection with the Synscan app/program, its very similar to a normal router that serves you the Internet. Any device that then connects to this network then gets an assigned address one up from this, i.e. 192.168.4.2, .3, etc. However if you run the Safari app and go in to settings you will find it has also been allocated an address which is one up from the device you are using. In my case my Ipad was connected to the wireless network and had been given the address of  192.168.4.3.  but when I checked the IP address in the settings page of SkySafari it was 192.168.4.4 !
      If you accept this you get the error that the app cannot join the wireless network check your settings etc. If you now manually change that address to the same as the device running the Synscan app in my case .2 it should connect and work. However there is a caveat to this, I tried using an Iphone  4 and an old Ipad and they would not work together no matter what. I got the other error message that I had joined the network but the mount did not recognise the device type I had selected (Skywatcher Synscan Alt Az GoTo) and no amount of changing things would solve it. To get around this I used my trusty Win 7 laptop to run the Synscan program and things worked perfectly so it can be done don't give up!
      Sorry this is so long but I hope it helps someone out there. So to round off when you fire up the mount it becomes address no 1, any physical device gets the next address 2, any software running on the that device gets the next address 3. When you fire up SkySafari it must have the same address as the one that the SynScan app has got and this can e changed in SkySafari settings. None of this makes any sense to me as I thought software couldn't act in that way but there you are. I hope I have got this right feel free to contact me if things don't work

Regards

Bill

• By Dazzyt66
      OK, my second guide, this took a bit more thinking about cos I haven’t used Stellarium before but I wanted a ‘single device’ option as my other stuff is IOS. I will be using this with my Canon tethered to the PC by an active usb cable so I can do pretty much everything (bar focussing) indoors when it’s too cold outside!
      Anyway, this how I did it. If there is a better way I am happy to update this guide. Let me know. Hopefully this is straight forward cos there isn’t a lot of info on how to do this all in one place! I’ve had this working indoors this PM so I’m really excited to try it at night now. Note that you need to be connected to the SynScan WiFi network to control your scope.
      1.    Download & install Stellarium (I’m using v18) – do not run at this point
      2.    Download & install Stellarium Scope (I’m using v2016.12.26.330) – do not run at this point
      3.    Download ASCOM software & install (I used ASCOM Platform63) – do not run at this point
      4.    Download ASCOM driver from Skywatcher & install
      5.    Download and install SynScan App (it will run either Alt Az or Eq mounts as needed)
      6.    Connect to SynScan WiFi & open SynScan app, settings, WiFi and select Access Point mode (which is what I used as it seemed most straight forward). Add naming and security as needed. Note that the unit ‘resets’ to factory settings if powered up and unaccessed for 24 hrs (I have also seen this as 1 hr but haven’t tried it).
      7.    OPTIONAL TEST STEP OTHERWISE GO TO STEP 8. In settings set to ‘emulator’ if you want to test first. Go back to main screen and ‘connect’ – you will need to select eq or alt az. Note: you can do this part without the WiFi adaptor as it is only testing the software. Go to step 9. 
      8.   In settings, select UDP, go back to main screen and connect (select eq or alt az). Do a star align if you are ready and leave running. 
      9.    Run ASCOM diagnostics, tools, telescope chooser .net – select SynScanMobile Telescope in dropdown box. You may have to select and exit properties before ‘OK’ is enabled.
      10.    Open Stellarium Scope. Accept the disclaimer, select mount as ASCOM.Synscanmobile.Telescope and connect.
      11.    Label your Telescope on this screen if you want and then select update Stellarium. Accept all the warnings. If you want to customise further look in ‘options’ for auto start of Stellarium etc. You may need to update Stellarium again via this screen if you change anything.
      12.    Open Stellarium. It should now be ready with your scope. If you scroll around the reticle should be on the star you last aligned. You are now good to go! Select something in Stellarium and press CNTL and 1 together. Your scope should slew to the new target. Conversely, if you select something on the SynScan App it will show in Stellarium.
      13.    If you did this all in test mode and have a SynScan WiFi connected you should now be able to go to step 8. You do not need to do the other steps again apart from restarting Stellarium Scope and Stellarium. I have Stellarium auto open in options so I just click on StellariumScope.
      Hope that helps anyone interested. I’m happy to update this as needed, or do pics if required.
      PS I’m running this on a Win10 Dell Laptop - I have experienced a ‘form error’ bug when looking up stars in the SynScan App but that maybe because I moved the folder to a new location so it can’t find a library or something. It’ll be interesting if anyone else gets this. This does not affect the running in Stellarium so I’ve ignored it for now and will recheck later. UPDATE: 19/04 - I raised this with SW app team. It appears there is a DB missing from the v1.9 zip (previous versions are fine), they are rectifying asap - so it wasn’t me!! ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.