Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher AZ GTi Help

astro_al

I have just found this thread.

I too have the same issue with an AZ EQ5-GT. I purchased the wireless dongle and use the App. And I had also discovered that Point and Track helps.

I have also purchase SkySafari (Android in my case). This is such a brilliant combination. The ability to search in SkySafari is great with lots of good facilities around observing lists and to be able to visualise on screen and then control the scope from there. I love it.

But .... after a few seconds it stops tracking. So, not so great after all at the moment.?

So thank you very much for raising this with SkyWatcher, and getting them to acknowledge the issue.  I can't wait for an update to the app.

Thanks, Gordon

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all

Experiencing same issue as OP and Gordon, az go to with android pro and non pro app. 

Go to works well but then it defaults to side real tracking and objects don't stay in field of view.

If however i manually select point and track after the go to, all is well. 

It makes using skysafari pretty difficult because I need to keep going into the synscan app and manually click point and track everytime I go to any object. Exactly as Gordon described. 

Has anyone heard from skywatcher recently about when this issue will be resolved? And in what form (app update or Wifi dongle firmware update)

I've been running my AZ-GTi for a little while, using it mainly for planetary stuff on my balcony. Because of the limited room available I've only ever done a one star alignment from the PC version of Synscan Pro, so I've put the poor goto and tracking performance down to poor alignment. But since I've rigged up my 'ghetto' balcony mount (plans available), I've had a chance to do a proper North and level alignment. The goto is a little better, but the tracking still starts to wander pretty soon after I've placed it directly onto an object. 

I updated the firmware to the latest version and it's still doing it. Where can we report these issues to Skywatcher, the more of us that report these issue, the more likely they are to do something about them. 

Also does anyone know why 'One Star Alignment' is only available on the PC version of the app and not on the IOS version? There's a shutter release port on the mount, is anyone using that for anything? This doesn't feel like a very photo orientated mount,  but it would e great if it could be used for GigaPixel panoramas or something like that. 

IMG_0861.jpg

Hi all, 

The synscan pro (and maybe non pro) app on android has just been updated with the following changes / fixes.

Hopefully it'll help some of the issues described! ?

Cheers

• Use a new format to save alignment data.
• Fixed problem where app caused third party app using compass/tilt to malfunction
• Updated AZ tracking algorithm
• On Android: can save diagnostic log in Settings > Diagnostics menu
• Improved connection error reporting
• Fixed a crash involving hibernate
• Allow setting SynScan Wi-Fi's 2.4G channel
• Sync encoder: made more accurate and allow performing on mount without aux encoder.

Just assembled everything. Using the IOS SynScan Pro with a Nikon D750 and B700. Using an old ipad that only uses the wifi SynScan_4ec4 to avoid jumping off. Tonight I will try it on the moon.

My only issue so far is the mounting hardware. The starwatcher wedge hits the thumbscrew . Bought a longer thumbscrew, but did not buy it long enough.

Tracking numbers look stable.

Hoping the iOS and Windows apps get fixed as well... here is a 6s exposure that I took last night... the mount seems to be tracking at the wrong rate, as the star trails are a lot longer if I disable tracking.  Quite frustrating.

Capture_00004.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The results of an indoor test are good!

Previously after doing a level north align followed by a GoTo I would see the star start to drift out of the FOV in Sky Safari after about 20 seconds. Now there is no drift so it looks like it is tracking well. I have been waiting to sell this mount now that I have a permanent pier so can now do so with a clear conscience ?

Archived