SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Just How Good Are Canon 15x50 IS Binoculars?

Quick question for the SGL hive mind. Really, how good are these bins? I have a pair of Pentax 12x50s and am very happy with them. Their image quality is fantastic as is overall build. However, for prolonged astro use I find I need a mono/tripod, which is fine when I'm in the UK, but I do go abroad fairly often - sometimes to some truly dark-sky places and like to travel light. Not having to carry any kind of mono/tripod however small and light would be a great help hence the interest in the Canons. I know the best way to find out is to try them, but I thought I'd ask first.

TIA

I have used the Canon 10x42 IS before and they were pretty awesome, the stabilization really does work, I was impressed, the downsize was they felt awkward to hold and they are heavy. I bought a pair of Swarovski 10x50's instead and these are in a different league.

I would imagine the 15x50's are heavier then the 10x42's so you really need to try a pair first.

Good. Really. I love mine. If you want ultra-light, the 10x30 are great as well - but you have to keep the stabilization button depressed on those, while the 15x50 are on/off.

They really are a game changer, and do enable pod-free observing.

tmp_1986-DSC_0286-1113954394.thumb.JPG.c9203d630d2dc1efa8ea13b64c2d8c2d.JPG

I had a pair for quite a while and loved them. The stabilization really does allow you to see more. It still helps to be stable positioned, but the stabilization gets rid of all the high frequency jitters and you heartbeat etc. optically they are pretty good too, not top of the pile but good enough not to be an issue for me.

18 hours ago, Doc said:

I would imagine the 15x50's are heavier

1180 grams excluding batteries., according to Canon.  For longer viewing sessions while abroad, you could use a Konig neck tripod.  The Canon would presumably eliminate any heartbeat pulse that can be detectable when viewing through non IS binos.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Konig-Neck-Camera-Camcorder-Tripod/dp/B003HIE116/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_421_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MPSXVXDA3CDA2766QXKN

2 hours ago, SpaceBass said:

The Canon would presumably eliminate any heartbeat pulse that can be detectable when viewing through non IS binos.  

That’s correct, they do damp down all the jitters very well. What I found is that if you use the unsupported, the view seems to ‘swim’ around smoothly; not totally stable but a slow motion that allows you to see the detail much better than non stabilised. Even slight support such as leaning against a wall or seated can remove this slow motion and make the view even better.

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

That’s correct, they do damp down all the jitters very well. What I found is that if you use the unsupported, the view seems to ‘swim’ around smoothly; not totally stable but a slow motion that allows you to see the detail much better than non stabilised. Even slight support such as leaning against a wall or seated can remove this slow motion and make the view even better.

That's exactly what I would say about them as well.  My only complaint is that the eye cups are quite wide so for me they sre pressed hard against my nose when using them.  Some people have resorted to cutting them for more comfort.

Michael

54 minutes ago, Synchronicity said:

My only complaint is that the eye cups are quite wide so for me they sre pressed hard against my nose when using them.  Some people have resorted to cutting them for more comfort.

I just roll them down, works fine.

Interesting responses, thanks. Particularly interesting is the damping of heart pulses. As my fitness has increased over the last 15 months or so from cycling, I've noticed that my heart beats harder even at rest (not faster or blood pressure related if that makes any sense, or maybe my veins are nearer to the skin as there is less fat in the way!). As suspected, I'll need to try some out but I'm not in a rush to buy so can take my time. I like the sound of Swaros but they are on the pricey side.

SpaceBass: Thanks for the link - it looks interesting and if it were made from carbon fibre could be a useful lightweight alternative to a 'pod especially for travel to remote places.

Demonperformer: Thanks for that link, I see that Swaros were mentioned on that thread too. Food for thought!

Hello all. Very interested in this topic. 

Could I kindly ask if you would consider the results of the IS Bino’s to be similar or better than ‘standard’ Bino’s  on a tripod or monopod,

Very kind regards.  John 

On 4/19/2018 at 06:04, SpaceBass said:

1180 grams excluding batteries., according to Canon.  For longer viewing sessions while abroad, you could use a Konig neck tripod.  The Canon would presumably eliminate any heartbeat pulse that can be detectable with the neck tripod when viewing through non IS binos.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Konig-Neck-Camera-Camcorder-Tripod/dp/B003HIE116/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_421_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MPSXVXDA3CDA2766QXKN

Have amended my previous post that wasn't completely clear (lol, early morning post).  I own one of those neck tripods and, while useful, they can transmit hearbeat with regular binos because one end of it sits on your chest.  My point was that this downside of the Konig should be eliminated when using Canon IS binos and thus it could be a good aid in supporting the heavier IS models for longer viewing sessions. 

On 4/19/2018 at 12:34, Roy Challen said:

SpaceBass: Thanks for the link - it looks interesting and if it were made from carbon fibre could be a useful lightweight alternative to a 'pod especially for travel to remote places.

The Konig is aluminium I think but it is very light.  It attaches directly to the binos, via a quick release plate, without any ball head in between, and it extends from 19 to 31 cms via the clip thing.  You simply adjust your head and body position, plus tripod height, to view the night sky.

Maybe I should apply for a job with Konig's marketing department? :icon_biggrin:

18 hours ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello all. Very interested in this topic. 

Could I kindly ask if you would consider the results of the IS Bino’s to be similar or better than ‘standard’ Bino’s  on a tripod or monopod,

Very kind regards.  John 

Hi John,

I've got limited experience for comparisons but the greatest benefit if you have like-for-like lens and build quality is the ability to use the higher magnification without a tripod/monopod.   I guess that is most useful when looking directly upwards which is awkward if your trying to use any type of support.  Sitting on a garden chair, a bit reclined I could get lost wandering the skies for hours!

The also do an 18x50 set but reviews I read from astronomers often said they felt the field of view was too narrow with these.

All the best

Michael

On 4/19/2018 at 08:23, Stu said:

I actually recently returned a pair of Canon 10x30 II IS because that slight swimming sensation made me feel unwell. On one occasion, I had to lie down for an hour after having used them for just a couple of minutes! This phenomenon apparently affects some more than others and I am obviously one of the unlucky ones.  Shame because they were down to about £360 a few months ago when I bought them. 

However, I ended up spending the refund money (with some change to spare) on a pair of Nikon 8x30 E2, imported from Japan, and am happy with the outcome.  The Canon IS models are really great, just not for me :happy11:.

1 hour ago, Synchronicity said:

Hi John,

I've got limited experience for comparisons but the greatest benefit if you have like-for-like lens and build quality is the ability to use the higher magnification without a tripod/monopod.   I guess that is most useful when looking directly upwards which is awkward if your trying to use any type of support.  Sitting on a garden chair, a bit reclined I could get lost wandering the skies for hours!

The also do an 18x50 set but reviews I read from astronomers often said they felt the field of view was too narrow with these.

All the best

Michael

Hello Michael. Appreciate your words. The Pentax 12 x 50’s I have and use with a trigger grip monopod set up, serve me well but as we all do, I was thinking the Canon’s could beat this in “hand held” mode ??!!  Maybe ??!! 

Mycredit card has the jitters 

regards. John 

Hi Roy,

I used to have a pair of the 14x40 Fujinon's and did not like the swaying effect caused by the prism movement. I have also used a pair of Russian made image stabilised binos and they gave me the impression that the floor was falling away under me. Have looked through the Canon's and have not been tempted to purchase them, but maybe I will get a pair the 10X30's

at some point in the future, who knows ! I currently have a pair of the 10x40 Swarovski poro prism binoculars and many others of various sizes.

I made a triangular aluminium frame ( from a discarded Zimmer frame ) with bicycle grips at the bottom and the bins attached at the top  resting lightly against my brow. I reckon that this is probably as steady an arrangement as image-stabilised bins and a lot cheaper!

On 20/04/2018 at 16:43, HAsun said:

I used to have a pair of the 14x40 Fujinon's and did not like the swaying effect caused by the prism movement. I have also used a pair of Russian made image stabilised binos and they gave me the impression that the floor was falling away under me

The Fujinons were optimised for sailing - they are quite good at counteracting the slow, large amplitude motion of a heaving deck, but not good for suppressing the shakes. If I recall correctly, the Russian ones used a mechanical system (also for boat use) and were never really satisfactory.

Canon started off using a "vari-angle prism", and the system got better and better over several incarnations. The original 10x30 "swam" quite a lot, but the latest 12x36 (Mk III) I tested didn't appear to swim at all. The latest Canons use a lens shift system (similar to their IS lenses) and it is very impressive indeed, but a tad pricey.

• 1 month later...

I have had a pair of Canon 15x50 IS for several years and they go everywhere with me Holidays ect but they are mostly used for Astronomy when you get older your arms are not so steady and you tend to shack a bit you press the button and it just stops they are very impressive even works on a ship, to me they are worth every penny I will say there are certain time of the year you can find them reduced, I have tried the 18x50 and did not like them as much as the 15x50 any questions please ask 

You get the best out of quality  

Archived