Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep21_banner.thumb.jpg.d744e66b98367f1c5d57b7966c303f1b.jpg

mbalkham

NEQ6 freezing whilst slewing

I'm currently experiencing an intermittent problem with my NEQ6 stopping mid slew. It loses connection with the nextbook and all alignment info. I have to manually put back to the home point and start alignment process again (plus target alignment and imaging and PHD calibration). 

Thinking it might be a loose electrical connection or mechanical issue overloading the drive?

A real pain tonight as first clear night in ages and I've given up after 2 resets (the worst is ever been). Most common cause would be parking to home position from a high position (pointing close to vertical).

Anyone experienced similar issues and even better fixed them?!

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by mbalkham

In my (limited) experience, the two usual suspects are (1) the power connector being jiggled at the mount end [does power light remain on throughout? - cure is to use some electricians tape to hold the power cable across the body of the mount thus minimising the jiggle factor] and (2) the usb connection in the laptop [try another socket and avoid usb hubs like the plague].

Not sure how helpful that will be - depends on how well they specifically match your experience.

Hi

"Loosing connection with nextbook" assuming usb connection (eqmod ??)

I've had this on mine in the past. I changed to a usb 3.0 powered hub for mount, guiding and filter wheel.

I run a dedicated (Lindy) usb cable direct to my camera, so my laptop has one usb socket for camera on it's own and one for the powered hub.

Not saying that will cure your problem , and "intermittent" is never going to be easy to solve.

I'll mention the usual things like power supply and no strain on any cables.

This is SGL so I'm sure others will be along to help.

Neil

I had similar with a new mount. Was using the power cable that came with the mount, not very secure. Kept getting flashing red light also. Bought a new one (Longer and more sturdy connection) and it fits a lot more secure and the problem has gone away. Hope it is something simple like that!

Thanks for the replies.

I don't think it's the USB side of things though it could be. I've had many sessions with no problems and assume if it was an underpowered hub I'd see the issues more frequently? I've never liked the connection on the side of the nextbook but haven't yet got any real alternative (though I saw a blutooth/wifi option somewhere).

Could be the power connection I guess and I've seen a power socket/plug mod somewhere before (http://bendun.net/Images/STARFEST2011/EQ6 Power Plug Modification.pdf) so it might be time to try that.

Have been meaning to rationalize the cable routing so maybe also bring that up the to do list.

Reassuring that people don't (so far) think it's internal!

Edited by mbalkham

2 hours ago, mbalkham said:

Well, that is always a possibility, but always good to check the things that you can get at without taking the mount apart first. How long have you had the mount? If it has been working well for some time, I would think it unlikely something inside had suddenly started playing up ... unless you have done something like drop it recently :icon_biggrin:

My first thought would be the power supply, then cables, then internal.

You haven't overloaded one side have you? When I first fitted the synscan upgrade to my eq5 I tried slewing with weights and no scope. The thing went mental then would just stop.

Edited by geordie85
Typo

15 hours ago, mbalkham said:

Thanks for the replies.

I don't think it's the USB side of things though it could be. I've had many sessions with no problems and assume if it was an underpowered hub I'd see the issues more frequently? I've never liked the connection on the side of the nextbook but haven't yet got any real alternative (though I saw a blutooth/wifi option somewhere).

Could be the power connection I guess and I've seen a power socket/plug mod somewhere before (http://bendun.net/Images/STARFEST2011/EQ6 Power Plug Modification.pdf) so it might be time to try that.

Have been meaning to rationalize the cable routing so maybe also bring that up the to do list.

I don't own your mount so I won't speak directly to your issue, but I would advise you to not use bluetooth with EQMOD and WIndows 10. I had a devil of a time with it as Microsoft have changed how they handle bluetooth in Windows 10, which caused constant dropouts and connectivity issues. A wifi option would be much better if you want to go wireless.

Did the power plug mod as per the previous link and had a great night of imagining with no problems. Fingers crossed we're fixed and for less than $15 and an hour of time! Should have done it ages ago! Surprised that the manufacturer hasn't picked this up. Can't be any more expensive than the stock part. 

Glad you (appear to) have solved the problem.

I had a look at that mod, but when it started talking about drilling a hole in the casing, I decided that (for me) it probably was not worth the risk of completely destroying the casing.