Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Half the Mob with half a Dob...

estwing

After a terrible winter and other stuff getting in the way, it was a great relief to set a date for Elan with Swampthing (Steve). The Monday before I almost cut my finger off with a chop-saw making lifting my mirror not possible.

Not to worry said Steve..I'll bring my scope. The traditional BK in Builth wells and off to our spot an hour away. Church up, kettle on, lovely. Friday night brought in slate grey cloud so unfortunately we had to open the Vodka bottle along with a "few" ciders.

Next morning we woke to a bright and dare I say warm sun drenched camp. The forecast was for drizzle and wind, wrong..chewing the fat and by 9:30pm it was dark enough to set the Dob up...within 10mins we were observing. First to M51..and a bit of a shock how good it was. Spirals and maybe even a hint of a bridge..good transparency tonight....but M101 wasn't much to write home about...strange how these two can differ?...but we've seen it before.

Up to Bodes and a terrific sight! spirals and the cigar was burning bright...maybe the best view I've seen of it. Hopping down to Canes Venatici the Galaxy hunt began..NGC 4490, 4485 the Cocoon entered the 31 Nag and at mag 9.8 with its fainter counter part mag 11.9.

NGC 4449, 4618, M63 the sunflower then to M94 and down to NGC 5005, 5033 are mag 10.6 and 10.8, easy pickings. Left and down for the Glob M3, 90 lightyears across and looking like pinheads on a velvet cushion. Coma Berenices next bagging NGC 4448 mag 12, NGC 4559 mag 10.4 . Coffee break over so onto Leo and the Triplet was stunning to gaze upon M66,M65 and NGC 3628. Fantastic and with swapping the 31mm for the 20mm Nag things never looked better.

Hercules was climbing above the treetops so a bash at M13 squeezing in its close friend NGC 6207 mag 11.4 then NGC 6013 mag 13.6.

We wanted to grab M83 in Hydra but it was a bit soupy down there...back up to Draco and NGC 6503 mag 10.2 then NGC 5907 mag 11.1..but for me the bag of the night was the Draco triplet NGC 5982, 5985 at mag 11.1 they aren't easy with 5981 mag 13 this is only possible in Dark skies...possible with a 8" on a good night.

I would of loved to of had a bigger scope....bigger scope I hear you say?.....

Yes Ladies and Gentlemen all of the targets here were seen with Steves homemade 10" Dob. 10" that wowed a couple of observers with 30 years of stargazing behind us. So all you 8"-12" telescope owners before aperture fever hits...go somewhere Dark, and watch your face light up...clear skies everyone, Calv.

Nice one mate, glad someone was making motes :D 

Hopefully the big scope will be back in action real soon...........

Still, made a change observing with more modest aperture under those ink black skies :) 

Ps Hope your finger is ok to race them bricks down. :thumbright:

Great to read a mob report after such a drought and what a haul with Steves old scope.

Was almost there and could just see you both around those naglers galaxy hunting.

Hopefully your hand will heal quick and I'll try my best to join you next time out.

2 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Was almost there and could just see you both around those naglers galaxy hunting.

Indeed mate, not an ethos in sight ;) 

......or a finderscope............... some idiot left it at home ......... :iamwithstupid: :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, swamp thing said:

Indeed mate, not an ethos in sight ;) 

......or a finderscope............... some idiot left it at home ......... :iamwithstupid: :rolleyes:

:laughing4: 

And no goto either!

Job done, manual dobbing know the skies brothers :thumbright:

10 hours ago, estwing said:

So all you 8"-12" telescope owners before aperture fever hits...go somewhere Dark, and watch your face light up...clear skies everyone, Calv.

Fantastic report. I got my 10” dob under dark skies for the first time last night.... WOW :headbang:

Archived