Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Omega Centauri Globular

MarsG76

Omega Centauri (NGC 5139) is a globular cluster in the constellation of Centaurus.

This photo was imaged as a side project using my 8SE on the CGEM and the modded Canon 40D at 2032mm focal length.

The total exposure was 97 minutes, 17x60sec, 12x150s and 10x300sec subs at ISO800.

Clear Skies,

NGC5139 16Apr2018 Frm.jpg

We're right on the edge of being able to see it where I'm at. I have to have a pretty clear view of the southern sky to even attempt it. I did get to see it when I did my marathon last month though. It's absolutely massive in comparison to some other well known globular clusters. Nice capture!

16 hours ago, Buzzard75 said:

We're right on the edge of being able to see it where I'm at. I have to have a pretty clear view of the southern sky to even attempt it. I did get to see it when I did my marathon last month though. It's absolutely massive in comparison to some other well known globular clusters. Nice capture!

It is huge in the eyepiece... most of the other globulars are almost disappointing in comparison, another good one is 47Tuc.

15 hours ago, EyeGuy said:

What a beauty. Very nice scale and colour. It must be majestic to see in the flesh.

Barry

This Globular looks better in real life through the eyepiece on a decent sized scope than on any photo I've seen.

It is something else when you see that bright ball of stars glistening at you, like it's alive.

14 hours ago, Beulah said:

Yep. That's a good'un.  :)

We only get weedy globs such as M3 and M13, LOL.

M13 is also a good glob to see and image, but, yes, omega Centauri "takes the cake and eats it too", only other glob that comes close is 47Tuc.

49 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

M13 is also a good glob to see and image, but, yes, omega Centauri "takes the cake and eats it too", only other glob that comes close is 47Tuc.

Had not heard of 47Tuc. Maybe some day I'll be able to check out all these southern sights. Grass is always greener on the other side, right?

Fantastic image!

I saw this glob for the first time earlier this year when on holiday in Gran Canaria. It was wonderful even in my little 60mm. I’d love to look at it in a much bigger scope one day...

1 hour ago, Buzzard75 said:

Had not heard of 47Tuc. Maybe some day I'll be able to check out all these southern sights. Grass is always greener on the other side, right?

True that.... although you have some awesome sights up there too...

Archived