Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Omega Centauri (NGC 5139) is a globular cluster in the constellation of Centaurus.

This photo was imaged as a side project using my 8SE on the CGEM and the modded Canon 40D at 2032mm focal length.

The total exposure was 97 minutes, 17x60sec, 12x150s and 10x300sec subs at ISO800.

Clear Skies,

NGC5139 16Apr2018 Frm.jpg

Edited by MarsG76
Typo
  • Like 9

We're right on the edge of being able to see it where I'm at. I have to have a pretty clear view of the southern sky to even attempt it. I did get to see it when I did my marathon last month though. It's absolutely massive in comparison to some other well known globular clusters. Nice capture!

• Thanks 1

What a beauty. Very nice scale and colour. It must be majestic to see in the flesh.

Barry

• Thanks 1

Yep. That's a good'un.  :)

We only get weedy globs such as M3 and M13, LOL.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Buzzard75 said:

We're right on the edge of being able to see it where I'm at. I have to have a pretty clear view of the southern sky to even attempt it. I did get to see it when I did my marathon last month though. It's absolutely massive in comparison to some other well known globular clusters. Nice capture!

It is huge in the eyepiece... most of the other globulars are almost disappointing in comparison, another good one is 47Tuc.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, EyeGuy said:

What a beauty. Very nice scale and colour. It must be majestic to see in the flesh.

Barry

This Globular looks better in real life through the eyepiece on a decent sized scope than on any photo I've seen.

It is something else when you see that bright ball of stars glistening at you, like it's alive.

14 hours ago, Beulah said:

Yep. That's a good'un.  :)

We only get weedy globs such as M3 and M13, LOL.

M13 is also a good glob to see and image, but, yes, omega Centauri "takes the cake and eats it too", only other glob that comes close is 47Tuc.

• Like 1

I understand that Omega Centauri isn't really a glob in the conventional sense, but the core of a galaxy that was eaten by the Milky Way. No wonder it's huge!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

M13 is also a good glob to see and image, but, yes, omega Centauri "takes the cake and eats it too", only other glob that comes close is 47Tuc.

Had not heard of 47Tuc. Maybe some day I'll be able to check out all these southern sights. Grass is always greener on the other side, right?

Fantastic image!

I saw this glob for the first time earlier this year when on holiday in Gran Canaria. It was wonderful even in my little 60mm. I’d love to look at it in a much bigger scope one day...

Edited by GavStar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Buzzard75 said:

Had not heard of 47Tuc. Maybe some day I'll be able to check out all these southern sights. Grass is always greener on the other side, right?

True that.... although you have some awesome sights up there too...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By JackCooke
      A quick sketch from the 1st September (sorry - date is wrong on the image). 
      M15 was still fairly low in the east but the central condensation of stars really stood out, even in a 5.5inch scope. The bright field star intruding on the edge of the image was distracting. If I had a tracking mount I'd have banished it permanently!
      A lot of the extended GC was on the threshold of vision and the resolved stars faded in and out. 
      M15 will always have a special place for me as it was the first GC i ever saw 😍 
      Thanks for looking. 
      Jack

• By JackCooke
      After many weeks of telescopes gathering dust I finally managed a long night sketching under the stars. 
      Having only ever sketched open clusters I wanted to attempt a GC. Hercules was well positioned so I chose to draw m92, often overshadowed by the more famous m13. 
      My red torch was a little too bright and there was some intermittent cloud but the sketch comes pretty close to what I saw. All comments / criticisms / comparisons most welcome!
      Jack
      p.s. As I was packing up around midnight I saw what I can only assume were parts of a meteorite breaking up in the sky. A long trail of five to ten separate glowing dots moved eastward through cygnus toward the horison. It was like watching several satellites following each other in an absolutely straight line. Anyone else see this or remember something similar? 

• By floastro
      Hi Guys,
      I present you the second image taken with my Moravian G4-16000 camera mounted on my modified TeleVue NP101is.
      Images and technical information below.

M13 globular cluster and its galactic area :

Full Resolution image 4k x 4k here :  www.poigetdigitalpics.com/G4-16000/M13.htm

Full Resolution image here :  http://www.poigetdigitalpics.com/Fichiers_Divers/M13new_image_Annotated.jpg

Enjoy ?

Florent
    • By Toxophilus
      This was taken over 4 nights between the 24th September and 6th October as I have a small windows to view objects in the south due to houses and a great big tree getting in the way.
      Messier 2, also known as NGC7089 is a globular cluster in the constellation of Aquarius. It is one of the largest know globular clusters and was discovered in 1746 by Giovanni Domenico Maraldi. It lies approximately 55000 ly away and is around 174 ly across.

• By MikeODay
      Update: 3rd June
      Re-processed to remove slight magenta tint caused by the non-uniform removal of light pollution by the DBE process ( it was being fooled by the very bright image centre ).

The globular star cluster Omega Centauri ( NGC 5139 ) in Centaurus ( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper )
      A full size image can be found  here.

original below
      A newly captured ( May 2018 ) image of the great southern globular star cluster, Omega Centauri ( NGC 5139 )

Omega Centauri ( NGC 5139 ) in Centaurus - ( please click / tap image to see larger and sharper )
      A full size ( ~ 6000 x 4000 ) image can be found here 
      This image is an attempt to look deeply into the mighty Omega Centauri star cluster and, by using HDR techniques, record as many of its faint members as possible whilst capturing and bringing out the colours of the stars, including in the core.
      Image details:
      Resolution ........ 0.586 arcsec/px ( full size image )
      Rotation .......... 0.00 deg ( up is North )
      Focal ............. 1375.99 mm
      Pixel size ........ 3.91 um
      Field of view ..... 58' 20.9" x 38' 55.1"
      Image center ...... RA: 13 26 45.065 Dec: -47 28 27.26
      Telescope: Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ).
      Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x.
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1470mm f4.7
      Mount: Skywatcher Eq8
      Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2 
      Camera:
      Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.9um pixels)\
      Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map )
      Capture ( May 2018 )
      8 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 2s to 240s ) all at ISO 250.
      Processing:
      Calibration: master bias, master flat and master dark
      Integration in 8 sets
      HDR combination 
      Pixinsight May 2018

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.