Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sunspot or pore or what?

Ben the Ignorant

Sunday morning I spotted a very small sunspot in white light with my 80mm semi-apo at 63x, too small to have a visible penumbra with my gear. Since the air didn't tremble much (it was only 9:30 so the Sun had not heated the surroundings too much yet) a minuscule second spot was noticed. But only because it was close to the more apparent one, the tinier spot alone would probably have gone unnoticed.

Yesterday I didn't look but this morning the larger spot is there again, about 30° northeast from the center, and the same size; it can be seen at 24x with attention when the air settles down. However SOHO's site does not number the spot, and it didn't on Sunday morning either when it was a couple. So, are the folks at SOHO absent-minded, is there a computer glitch, or is this maybe an oversize pore that does not qualify as a sunspot?

Archived