Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Micro/mini computers

42 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Cat5 cables come in solid core and stranded varieties.  I'd not want to use the solid core stuff in an application where it was going to be regularly moved (I have hundreds of metres under the floors in my house where it isn't going to get moved at all), but I don't think the stranded cable should be any more prone to failure than any other cables (USB, power etc.) likely to be found on an imaging rig.

James

If you want flexible lan cables then use flat ones. I use these in my house and not only are they much easier to route and feed through tight spaces but they're also very flexible. The only issue you have with flat lan cables is they have a bit more loss so not good at long runs. 20m really is tops. So you could use solid cat5 to the obs with a proper install (sockets) and perhaps a switch and then flat cables from there to the OTA/equipment.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JamesF said:

Cat5 cables come in solid core and stranded varieties.  I'd not want to use the solid core stuff in an application where it was going to be regularly moved (I have hundreds of metres under the floors in my house where it isn't going to get moved at all), but I don't think the stranded cable should be any more prone to failure than any other cables (USB, power etc.) likely to be found on an imaging rig.

James

Yes but the stranded cables are only normally used for short applications of around 6m or so which are prone to regular flexing, such as patch leads etc., but not really for hanging and twisting such as on a scope mount.  Cables designed for hanging usually have separate strain relief which is in the centre for round cables and at the rear for flat.  I've read plenty of stories on here of failed USB leads.

1 hour ago, solwisesteve said:

I know everyone keeps on talking about teamviewer BUT if it's for a local connection e.g. laptop in the house to mini-pc in the obs, then, IMHO, teamviewer is NOT the programme to use. The problem is teamviewer works through a remote cloud site. So your laptop talks through your internet to the cloud and also your mini-pc talks through your internet to the cloud. Then the remote teamviewer server (the cloud) joins the traffic together. Obviously the performance is limited therefore by your internet upload speed (assuming your internet upload speed is slower than your download speed - it usually is). A much better solution, for windows users any way, is to use windows remote viewer which is direct remote control between the two computers over the local network i.e. no going out to the internet so the only limitation speed wise is how fast your local network is which will nearly always be a lot faster than your internet.

Totally agree with this sentiment.  I use RDP via an access point personally, but the concept is the same.  However, for people that use TV, it can be set up to work on a LAN, but this feature is disabled by default and needs to be switched on.  From memory I think on the host machine you have to enable incoming LAN connections, and it will then allow a direct LAN link without using the interweb.

Proper support and strain relief is certainly necessary.  Leaving cables to hang under their own weight is not a good plan and will almost certainly result in failure at some point.  That or they'll get caught in something else and unpleasant consequences will ensue :(

James

15 minutes ago, RayD said:

Totally agree with this sentiment.  I use RDP via an access point personally, but the concept is the same.  However, for people that use TV, it can be set up to work on a LAN, but this feature is disabled by default and needs to be switched on.  From memory I think on the host machine you have to enable incoming LAN connections, and it will then allow a direct LAN link without using the interweb.

Didn't know that about TV..... Just done a search on the TV web site and discovered how to do this.

Cheers :-)

2 minutes ago, solwisesteve said:

Didn't know that about TV..... Just done a search on the TV web site and discovered how to do this.

Cheers :-)

No worries, I don't think it is immediately obvious and certainly not well publicised.  Last time I looked, which was quite some time ago to be fair, it was pretty well hidden.

Hi Kalista

I have ordered up the power unit from ebay. You mentioned it came with pre-installed fuses and you changed them to 3 amp. I plan to do the same so are they the spade type of fuse. Because of my location it's easier to order in advance.

Many thanks

David

@David Crane Hi David, yes, they are just the blade fuse type you can get from Ebay as well (I did). I wouldn't just get 3A though, go for a selection as your equipment might (ok, it WILL) evolve. 

Here's my set up all plugged in and ready for the multitude of clear nights ahead of us all (yes, I'm a glass half full kinda guy :headbang: ).

IMG_0286.JPG

On 17/04/2018 at 09:28, RayD said:

I wouldn't personally run an Ethernet cable to the OTA.  Cat 5 etc. is solid copper and designed for fixed applications, it isn't designed for dynamic (moving) applications, so could well become a source of poor reliability in the future.

I've been running a standard cat 5 Etherley cable upto my scope for the last 7 years now with no issues. It's not being wrapped around any tight corners so I don't see it as a problem and in my experience, wired is much better than wireless for remote operations. But your milage may vary. 

Cheers, Ian

11 minutes ago, iansmith said:

I've been running a standard cat 5 Etherley cable upto my scope for the last 7 years now with no issues. It's not being wrapped around any tight corners so I don't see it as a problem and in my experience, wired is much better than wireless for remote operations. But your milage may vary. 

Cheers, Ian

I've been using a car tyre as a flower pot for 20 years, but that doesn't mean that's the application it was intended to be used for when made.

If it works for you that's great, and exactly why I said "I personally" wouldn't as we all have differing opinions and experiences.

Thanks Kalista. Good idea to get a selection of fuse sizes. Your setup looks impressive. My sister in law lives in Bexhill and she seems to get as many clear nights as we get in Spain, but we do get cheaper wine. I hope all works with the mini pc. My list is down to four different models so I'll really interested to know how you get on. Thanks for all your help.

Hi Ian. I have been using team viewer without any problems but I may go to cable as the distance is not too far. From my limited understanding, you need Windows 10 pro to use their wireless option and I only have Home. Best wishes David

Hi,

I am going down the OTA mounted computer route for my automated remote observatory and I was wondering if anyone has successfully used Wake on Wireless LAN? I have tried - and failed - but in theory it can be done and if it works then there is no need to have a LAN cable attached to the OTA computer. Everything will be handled by WiFi. Yippee!!

Regards, Hugh

Hi Hugh

I use teamviewer at the moment which is Wifi, and I haven't had any problems with it. I haven't heard of Wake on Wireless so I can't comment.

I won't get my mini pc and power unit until July sadly and I would have liked to try windows remote viewer. However, I think you need W10 pro for remote viewer. At least that's what my current home edition tells me.  I will have Pro on the new mini pc  but not on the other end, i.e. my laptop or desktop pc which have Home edition.

David

16 minutes ago, David Crane said:

However, I think you need W10 pro for remote viewer.

Yes you do - but you can download the upgrade to Win 10 pro and buy a legitimate product activation key from a well known auction site for £3.99. You also then have the joy of completely stopping unwanted Windows upgrades.

17 minutes ago, hughgilhespie said:

You also then have the joy of completely stopping unwanted Windows upgrades.

Which is a god send in my eyes :angel7:

19 minutes ago, David Crane said:

Hi Kalista

Have you tried your new setup yet?

Yes, it's all up and running and have been testing it over the past couple of nights, everything has been working as it should. The only thing that went wrong was the user falling asleep at his chair on the second night and messing up the sequence in SGPro (was hoping for 45 images to greet me, but there was ony 3 :BangHead:).

Archived