Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_inspirational_skies.thumb.jpg.a20cdbfeadc049807f6d78e6c00ee900.jpg

MrsGnomus

COMPLETED - ** NOW SOLD - PLEASE REMOVE AD ** Williams Optics Star 71 (Mk I) - £750

Posted (edited)

Williams Optics Star 71 (Mk I) f/4.9.  This was bought from FLO back in January 2016.  It has been used for imaging in an observatory.  The Mk II Star 71 version is only 4 elements – this is the 5 element original version.  The focal length is 350 mm, so it gives outstanding widefield views.  Because this is a modified Petzval there is no need for flatteners, reducers and no need to work out ‘spacing’.    

It comes with a Vixen dovetail and a Canon T2 adapter is included.  The scope was supplied in a padded Williams Optics carry bag and it is highly portable.  

Please note that if you want to use this scope for visual work a specially designed 1.25” diagonal is required.  Normal diagonals cannot be used because of the rear lens elements.  As I say, this scope was used solely for imaging and we did not try it visually.  

There were some QC problems with the Mk I - some versions of this scope were poor and could not be corrected.  Indeed, the first version we obtained was returned because we were not happy with it.  This is a good copy - I have attached a couple of sample images - also https://www.astrobin.com/275291/E/?nc= 

£750 including delivery.  I’d prefer payment by bank transfer.

The scope is also up for sale on UK ABS.  I'll be puting the Lakeside focuser unit I used with this up for sale separately.

Star71_1.thumb.jpg.2b4a2598dcb065982100f4f388d4f8db.jpg

Star71_2.thumb.jpg.af7a103517fc3172ce3671512bc69530.jpg

Ha_Stretch_Apr_2018.thumb.jpg.ecd861e9c7562f6b9ef703edfa7fa9fc.jpg

01_Ha_HT.thumb.jpg.5c976d1c3b48b569fdad177e8a19d81f.jpg

Edited by MrsGnomus
Typo

I wish you'd put this up a week ago.

Still going to keep my eye on this as I've already got one and know how awesome a scope it is

The scope is great but we have gone a bit OTT with scope purchases over the winter - we currently have two too many imaging rigs for the number of piers that we have access to. We either have to sell a scope or build yet another observatory (and buy another camera, filter wheel, filters......)

• Like 1

Already got 3 so don't really need another unless, thinks, hmmm quad imaging rig :grin:

Have you thought of a dual setup ?

Dave

Triple-rig.thumb.png.9975a7aa7f5c2dc0203daea5fbcc42ab.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Already got 3 so don't really need another unless, thinks, hmmm quad imaging rig :grin:

Have you thought of a dual setup ?

Yes - been there done that! We had two side by side on an EQ6 in a roll away observatory last year - Steve then bought another scope for visual that he put on the EQ6. We can swap quickly between two single scopes but setting up, balancing and aligning a dual rig quickly is another matter entirely. I did try to persuade him to piggyback one Star 71 on top of the scope that is currently on the Mesu in our ‘main’ observatory so that we could have dual scopes a few yards apart but he was having none of it! I think he has other plans........

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MrsGnomus said:

........I think he has other plans........

Oh dear.......... That sounds very expensive :D 

15 minutes ago, swag72 said:

Oh dear.......... That sounds very expensive :D 

You don’t know the half of it..... and here was me hoping that the first trip across the Bay of Biscay would put him off for life.

Sounds like he needs his own shed at e-eye then! 

15 minutes ago, swag72 said:

Sounds like he needs his own shed at e-eye then! 

Fortunately Jose and Cristina only had one pier left in Apollo 6......

• Haha 1

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Waiffle
      hello! yesterday i got my telescope, BRESSER solarix 76/350!
      so yesterday i went outside around 9pm, I spotted Mars in the night sky very easily, I tried to aim my telescope towards it but... after like 10minutes, I still couldn't aim it ( I did choosed the ocular that had 40mm, biggest one I have ), then I gave up and decided to observe the core of the Andromeda Galaxy because it's way easier to aim at because of it's huge size..
      Then huge clouds were coming and I decided to go back home with my telescope..
      I did some research and there is a tool named "finderscope", but the problem is that my telescope doesnt have a rail or something that I can put a finderscope to, and im just asking if there is like a univseral finderscope or a finderscope that doesnt require to drill holes for screws, the only thing I observed yesterday was the sun( with my sun filter, I was pretty satisfied for a first time ) and the faint core of the Andromeda Galaxy/m31..
      thanks for helping me!

• By msacco
      Hello, so I bought my first telescope a few days ago, I bought a SkyWatcher 200p on a goto EQ5 mount, my first general impression is that I made a good decision, it was a bit over my budget, but I bought it second hand, and 8" with goto EQ5 is a good start in my opinion so far, as I won't need to replace is really soon.
      So I tried observing for 2 nights so far, I tried using it from my garden, and obviously its not amazing, but I live in a relatively small city with a decent light pollution.
      So the first night was pretty bad, it was really hard adapting to everything, learn how to use everything, my brother ripped by mistake the crosshair in the finderscope(I fixed it today tho, it was kinda loose before, so its even better now), and it was pretty hard.
      Today I read a little about the things that were harder to me, I tried to align my finderscope, and even tho Im unable to do it for some reason, I know where the finderscope leads me, so its a bit easier, I learned how to use my eyepieces better, managed to use the 2x barlow lens, I still couldn't figure how to really do all the aligning correctly such as polar align etc, but hopefully I'll learn that slowly. I also tried adjusting my goto mount, but I couldn't do it because when Im trying to do the star aligning I don't know yet which stars I should use, and trying to figure where each star is in a place that you're not even sure if you can see it because of light pollution is kinda hard, so I gave up on aligning the goto and just used it to move the mount sometimes to follow an object.
      The only object that I really saw was mars(I think), I couldn't see it very well tho, I tried using all my eyepieces(25mm, 10mm and 4mm) and my 2x, but it still wasn't really great. Im not expecting to see anything too well obviously, but I did except to see it a bit more zoomed and a bit more detailed than sort of orange lamp light, it makes me wonder what can I do about it, what do I need in order to see mars better? Is it because of the light pollution? Maybe the eyepieces? Something maybe Im doing wrong? Again, Im not expecting to see it like hubble pictures or anything, not even with details, but just see it a bit bigger and a bit more clear, this is a photo for example(took it with my phone and 10mm super eyepiece):

One more thing is about the finderscope, when Im trying to adjust the finderscope, I simply can't adjust it enough to make it accurate, I need to loosen the screws to adjust it, but eventually the screw will just go out and the finderscope will still not be aligned with the scope, what can I do about it?
      I have a lot more to learn and experience, so sorry if I ask really stupid questions etc, thanks a lot for the help!

• By MikeODay
      The Cat's Paw Nebula ( NGC 6334 ) in Scorpius 
      updated ( slight tweak to colour balance, a little brighter and tad more contrast )  

( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper - a full size image can be seen here )
      original:

( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper - a full size image can be seen here )
      ……………………...
      Also known as the Bear Claw Nebula, NGC 6334 is an emission nebula near the scorpion's tail in the Scorpius constellation. 
      Image details:
      Image centre ...... RA: 17 20 08.185  Dec: -35 52 30.91
      Field of view ..... 57' 37.8" x 38' 51.8"
      Rotation .......... 0.00 deg ( North is up )
      Resolution ........ 0.586 arcsec/px
      Telescope: Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ).
      Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x.
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1470mm f4.7
      Mount: Skywatcher EQ8
      Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2 
      Camera:
      Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.9um pixels)
      Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map )
      Capture ( July 2018 )
      6 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 4s to 240s ) all at ISO 250.
      168 x 4 min frames plus ~10 frames each for the shorter exposures  
      Processing:
      Calibration: bias, dark and flat
      Integration in 8 sets
      HDR combination 
      Pixinsight July 2018
    • By astrosathya
      Hi everyone,
      I recently got myself a GSO 6" f/4 astrograph, but seems like the secondary mirror was quite off. I then tried collimation using Astro Baby's tutorials, and others around the net. I've had a few Nets during the past 20 years, but this one seems to be a bit of a pain to get right. The secondary holder is a bit stiff. Anyone here done any mods for the scope and have reasonably good performance? I'be attached an image with Mire De Collimation circles. Image shows the reflection of primary, followed by the edge of secondary and followed by the grey card placed behind the secondary, which ends with the focuser tube. Any help will be appreciated.
      Edit: If I were to move the secondary towards 2'o'clock position, could it solve the problem?

• By erseavetir
      Hello all! My father lives in Istanbul and he has the Gskyer AZ70700 Refractor Telescope. He has been really enjoying it as you can see from the photos I've uploaded in the Amazon review I've left for this item (Btw, I've just realized that this review is now the most helpful/liked review on this item which is cool):
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R35LBDSUABUUAU/
      My father is OBSESSED with looking at the moon's craters and he had this telescope for almost a year now and he probably never skipped a day at looking at the moon as long as the moon was visible. I've made the post below on this forum before asking for suggestions on what upgraded equipments I should buy for his telescope:
      And after the suggestions and more research, I've bought these items:
      1) Celestron 8-24mm Zoom Eyepiece (1.25")
      2) Celestron 90° Star Diagonal (1.25")
      3) SVBONY 1.25" Barlow Lens 2x Multi Coated T Adapter
      4) Orion 05598 1.25-Inch 25 Percent Transmission Moon Filter (Black)
      Now basically, my father's only wish in this life is to be able to zoom at the moon more and see the craters of the moon more clearly while being zoomed more. Right now, when he uses the 2x Adapter with 8mm eyepiece, things get blurry but he keeps trying to zoom more some nights and tells me that he is hoping one day it won't look as blurry on that amount of zoom I showed him a youtube video of the moon's craters zoomed in with a better telescope once and he was basically shocked and almost didn't believe me that that was possible with better telescopes though I am not sure how bigger/better/expensive those telescopes would be.
      Now my father had an open heart surgery recently but he is OK now and I really want him to experience using a better telescope while he can and me being a good son, I want to buy him a better telescope now as I have a bit extra money to spend. I bought the telescope he is using now for 130$ (btw, this telescope had 5 star average reviews on Amazon at the time of my purchase which is why I bought it but I wish I knew about this forum before and asked you guys before buying that one although my father still loved the telescope a lot so I don't have many regrets about it).  I was wondering if there are better budget telescopes that are around 180-300$ that can be at least a bit better than his current telescope when looking at the moon's craters while being zoomed more with better/clearer visuals. Btw, because of the light pollution in Istanbul Turkey, only the Moon, Saturn and some big stars are visible in the sky but my father only cares about the Moon craters anyway. It's also important for me that the telescope I'll buy will support 1.25" eyepiece that my father has.
      After I've read many Top 10 articles online, the Celestron PowerSeeker 127EQ seems like a good budget option for me and I hear that because it has 1000 mm Focal Length, it's a good option for looking at the moon? I wouldn't know much about that thought which is why I wanted to get you guy's opinion on this. I've also seen that this telescope is being sold in Turkish websites (such as n11, hepsiburada, gittigidiyor etc.) which would mean I wouldn't pay anything for shipment to Istanbul and that he would have the option to return it in 14 days with a full refund if he doesn't like it. However, if you guys think that this telescope wouldn't really differ much from the telescope he has now when it comes to looking at moon's craters zoomed in, or that there are better telescopes than this 127EQ that is not too much more expensive than 127EQ but better at looking at moon's craters zoomed in and still beginner/mid-level friendly when it comes to looking at the moon, then please let me know! I'd really appreciate any input on this before I make my purchase. Thank you in advance!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.