Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_smartphones_winners.thumb.jpg.6fc1a7dac49e98c98ae01ba1f8cb4c0e.jpg

MrsGnomus

COMPLETED - ** NOW SOLD - PLEASE REMOVE AD ** Williams Optics Star 71 (Mk I) - £750

MrsGnomus    200
Posted (edited)

Williams Optics Star 71 (Mk I) f/4.9.  This was bought from FLO back in January 2016.  It has been used for imaging in an observatory.  The Mk II Star 71 version is only 4 elements – this is the 5 element original version.  The focal length is 350 mm, so it gives outstanding widefield views.  Because this is a modified Petzval there is no need for flatteners, reducers and no need to work out ‘spacing’.    

It comes with a Vixen dovetail and a Canon T2 adapter is included.  The scope was supplied in a padded Williams Optics carry bag and it is highly portable.  

Please note that if you want to use this scope for visual work a specially designed 1.25” diagonal is required.  Normal diagonals cannot be used because of the rear lens elements.  As I say, this scope was used solely for imaging and we did not try it visually.  

There were some QC problems with the Mk I - some versions of this scope were poor and could not be corrected.  Indeed, the first version we obtained was returned because we were not happy with it.  This is a good copy - I have attached a couple of sample images - also https://www.astrobin.com/275291/E/?nc= 

£750 including delivery.  I’d prefer payment by bank transfer.

The scope is also up for sale on UK ABS.  I'll be puting the Lakeside focuser unit I used with this up for sale separately.

Star71_1.thumb.jpg.2b4a2598dcb065982100f4f388d4f8db.jpg

Star71_2.thumb.jpg.af7a103517fc3172ce3671512bc69530.jpg

Ha_Stretch_Apr_2018.thumb.jpg.ecd861e9c7562f6b9ef703edfa7fa9fc.jpg

01_Ha_HT.thumb.jpg.5c976d1c3b48b569fdad177e8a19d81f.jpg

Edited by MrsGnomus
Typo

geordie85    652

I wish you'd put this up a week ago.

Still going to keep my eye on this as I've already got one and know how awesome a scope it is

MrsGnomus    200

The scope is great but we have gone a bit OTT with scope purchases over the winter - we currently have two too many imaging rigs for the number of piers that we have access to. We either have to sell a scope or build yet another observatory (and buy another camera, filter wheel, filters......)

• Like 1

Davey-T    10,271

Already got 3 so don't really need another unless, thinks, hmmm quad imaging rig :grin:

Have you thought of a dual setup ?

Dave

Triple-rig.thumb.png.9975a7aa7f5c2dc0203daea5fbcc42ab.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

MrsGnomus    200
40 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Already got 3 so don't really need another unless, thinks, hmmm quad imaging rig :grin:

Have you thought of a dual setup ?

Yes - been there done that! We had two side by side on an EQ6 in a roll away observatory last year - Steve then bought another scope for visual that he put on the EQ6. We can swap quickly between two single scopes but setting up, balancing and aligning a dual rig quickly is another matter entirely. I did try to persuade him to piggyback one Star 71 on top of the scope that is currently on the Mesu in our ‘main’ observatory so that we could have dual scopes a few yards apart but he was having none of it! I think he has other plans........

• Like 1

swag72    5,865
24 minutes ago, MrsGnomus said:

........I think he has other plans........

Oh dear.......... That sounds very expensive :D 

MrsGnomus    200
15 minutes ago, swag72 said:

Oh dear.......... That sounds very expensive :D 

You don’t know the half of it..... and here was me hoping that the first trip across the Bay of Biscay would put him off for life.

swag72    5,865

Sounds like he needs his own shed at e-eye then! 

MrsGnomus    200
15 minutes ago, swag72 said:

Sounds like he needs his own shed at e-eye then! 

Fortunately Jose and Cristina only had one pier left in Apollo 6......

• Haha 1

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MikeODay
      21st April: Re-processed to better show the colour of the fainter stars ...

Shimmering like a pearl to the naked eye, this open cluster of mostly young blue stars ( known as the "Pearl Cluster" ) is approximately 5500  light years from Earth and was discovered by Abbe Lacaille in 1752 from South Africa.  
      This HDR image is constructed from 11 sets of exposures ranging from 1/4 sec ( to capture the centre of the brighter stars ) through to 240 seconds ( for the fainter stars of the Milky Way ).  Total exposure time was around 5 hours.

A Cluster of Pearls in the Southern Skies ( NGC 3766 " The Pearl Cluster" ) 
      ( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper - a full size image can be found here )
      12 April 2018
      Image details:
      Field of view ..... 58' 49.8" x 39' 36.4"
      Image center ...... RA: 11 36 03.890  Dec: -61 35 30.17
      Resolution ........ 0.586 arcsec/px  ( full size image )
      Orientation: North is up
      Telescope: Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ).
      Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x.
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1470mm f4.7
      Mount: Skywatcher EQ8
      Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2 
      Camera:
      Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.91um pixels)
      Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map )
      Capture ( 12 April 2018 ):
      11 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 1/4s to 240s ) all at ISO250.
      ( 70 x 240sec + 10 each forthe other durations )
      Processing:
      Calibration: master bias, master flat and master dark
      Integration in 11 sets
      HDR combination 
      Pixinsight April 2018
    • By MrsGnomus
      This is a 6" f/5.9 refractor (890mm focal length).  It is constructed from high quality Japanese Ohara and German Schott glass with top quality coatings.  This has the large 3" rotatable focuser.  It can accept a 2" or a 1.25" diagonal.
      It comes with a carrying handle and a vixen dovetail bar.  As you can see there is some of the usual scuffing on the dovetail bar. 
      No doubt you have seen the reviews of this scope.  We have gone a bit berzerk over the last few months and have run out of scope shelves, so this one needs to go.  We bought it new around 18 months ago direct from Altair Astro.  It has seen minimal use what with one thing or another. 
      £590 preferably by bank transfer.  The box and packing material has gone the way of all things.  As such, this would need to be collected.  I don't mind driving to meet someone half-way if necessary.

• By Sunshine
      Looks like my Lipo project so far may be working good, ran a trial last night with a 3200Mah 3 cell Lipo from my RC airplane, the battery is an 11.1V nominal charge (uncharged) but charges up to 12.6V (4.2V per cell fully charged). All Lipo batteries display nominal charge capacity, which can be misleading because when charged, they jump up in voltage past displayed voltage.
      I wanted to see how long that went for before using one of my larger 5000Mah batts, didn’t take much more than $5 for a 2.5mm connector with 6ft cable included and a Deans connector on other end for the battery. I have a small voltage meter we RC guys use to monitor battery levels per cell and combined voltage, meter just keeps displaying levels constantly then emits a buzz when it drops to pre programmed level. The loud buzz I muffled to a pitiful hum by dropping some hot glue over the little speaker holes, last thing I need is an 80 decibel buzz at 2am in my yard.
      I set buzz for 3.5V per cell which is lowest you want to drain a Lipo per cell, after slewing around manually more times than I can remember I still had enough juice to slew around for another hour if i wanted, I was mimicking a nights slewing around and I think after I slewed around  on both axis simultaneously on and off for 40 min I pretty much covered a nights worth.
      the test will be in the field, if this battery doesn’t cut it I’m sure the 5000Mah will do the trick. I was watching for any shenanigans from the scope as the level dropped but nothing, no glitches or twitching of the controller display, all remained solid.
      UPDATE: 
      The next morning i turned on the scope (without recharging battery)  and again spent the better part of an hour until i was just bored slewing the scope around, i was afraid to burn out a motor with constant back and forth slewing with a short pause of course.
      i am now convinced that this 3200mah battery not much bigger than the average candy bar will last a whole night out and more! fantastic to know that when i drag the scope out for short periods locally (won't need heat strip those times) that this battery will be fine.
      i was dreading having to take my 50Lb deep cycle marine battery every time id like to go for a short local 2hr outreach session, on those long drive dark sky all night sessions yes i will need heat and my marine battery but those a few compared to 
      short local sessions. I can now fit my power supply into my pocket and that is just GOLD!!

• By bottletopburly
      Decided to put  cooling fans on my newtonians a 200pds and a 130pds ,used a 120mm on the 200 and a 80mm on the 130pds ,i used, Be Quite silent Wings2 fans they  use rifle bearings and are so quite German made, i did the 200 first and was impressed with this make so ordered the same make for the 130 pds it comes with a lead with four wires but only needed neg ang pos so snipped other two out ,  made a disc from plastic and cut out around collimation screws on primary then used velcro to attach to OTA  fitted a 2.1mm  dc socket on to the disc then bought a usb lead  to 2.1mm barrel though i may fit another 2.1mm socket on my power box and use 12v either way it works ,i used a dimmer on the 200pds but it doesnt need it and wouldn't use it again but its fitted now so will leave in place. 

• By LuminousCRO
      Hi Guys,
      I wondered if it's possible to attach a mirrorless camera (that is a camera that is not able to remove it's lens) to a telescope. Is there an attachment or a camera holder?
      Luminous  
      Thank you, in advance