SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My new mount set up.

Doc

Just spent the last few months designing and building myself a new Alt/Az mount. In case you have not seen the build thread it's on the following link

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/307728-my-new-diy-altaz-mount-a-panther-clone/

I'm really pleased with results, it's dead smooth and balances perfectly, even when the large 31 Nagler is used, there is no need to rebalance between eyepiece changes.

All I need to do now is sort out the encoders.

I called my first mount I made the "DocMount", I can't think of a name for this one at the moment, maybe someone will have a good name.

Here's a few photo's and a video link via youtube, for some reason I can't seem to embed it.

Video link is:

https://youtu.be/vChMQ2Q8Q30

6VkGFb.jpg

8aatq7.jpg

9YwTiE.jpg

wMwMMG.jpg

z60Trc.jpg

PL2SNS.jpg

• Like 14

6 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

That's a wonderful mount, Doc. Looks really sturdy and stable.

Sorry to ask, by what's in the small wooden box on the edge of your patio?

It's a hedgehog feeding house Jeremy I built it a few months ago. It's got a few compartments in for food and a corner where it can sleep. We get three regular hedgehogs that come into the garden.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 16/04/2018 at 15:26, Doc said:

I called my first mount I made the "DocMount", I can't think of a name for this one at the moment, maybe someone will have a good name.

Hi Doc,

Very nice mount, you've made a nice job of it.

FYI the type of mount is known as an 'Inverted Fork' mount. It's mentioned in one of the original ATM book, but cant recall which one.

Regards,

Chaxastro

'Humour is reason gone mad!' Groucho Marx

13 hours ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Nodding Doc mount, me thinks. Serious question. What was the motivation for building this mount? 

I can see from the build quality it is very impressive and I can only wish I had the skills to design and make something approaching the nodding doc.

More power to you

Marvin

The "Nodding DocMount" I like it Marvin.  As for motivation I suppose it was to use the machines I bought for my workshop. I bought a Myford and a Sharp Milling machine after hunting around for a first class Alt/Az mount.

A friend of mine had already purchased a DiscMount DM6 and after looking at it in the flesh I thought this would be quiet easy to build and in fact make it stronger, more capable of handling larger loads. I later done the same with the TTS Panther mount which you can see above.

Both of my mounts can hold a considerable weight without any wobble and are well made. They are not anodised or anything but have kept the shine I gave them.

I have designed a new mount which I'm going to make over the winter based on the gimbal design.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 1