Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ZWO ASIair

Grant

This looks very interesting!

30708125_1582111085171442_92150030611892

I know they've had capture apps on Android for awhile but this will enable IOS apps to communicate with their cameras.

I wander if this is Raspberry PI and Indi based?

Seems so, yes.. they really didn't give enough details, but that's definitely a raspberry pi...

Not sure if it's gonna be INDI based though, as that would imply that they'd support other camera brands as well, as long as they work with INDI.

But anyway, I'm just in the middle of implementing something very very similar...

5ad46ce0719ed_ScreenShot2018-04-16at10_24_48.thumb.png.b59b64e048179abe49bf343076ce7026.png5ad46ce1e42f9_ScreenShot2018-04-16at10_25_39.thumb.png.10cb7766c70faf06ab0428116baa6ba9.png5ad46ce35c4d4_ScreenShot2018-04-16at10_26_04.thumb.png.b46b464ff0349f5319cda85a7b5e0ab7.png5ad46ce4b4726_ScreenShot2018-04-16at10_26_29.thumb.png.e25d457611868f6fd8b774b12c410350.png

On 2018-04-16 at 13:19, LightBucket said:

I saw this just last night...

And I would guess it’s INDI based, and yes it uses the rpi3...interesting though...I may Ask Jasem one of the INDI developers he may know more, as I bet he was involved in some way or another... :)

I don't think he's involved much with ASIair, because he has his own Stellar Mate.

On 2018-04-16 at 11:16, Grant said:

I wander if this is Raspberry PI and Indi based?

It has the Raspberry Pi logo embossed on it, so definitely RPi based. The only astro software running on the pi that I'm aware of is INDI. But ZWO could easily have opted to only load the native ZWO drivers, excluding other hardware solutions. Not that they have done this, just that it's possible. But imo, that would be a bad business move (you would need a qhy ccd driver if you have a qhy guide cam, eg).

What I really wonder though, is how they solved the USB3 issue. Raspberry Pi doesn't have USB3 yet (still more than a year away, I believe), and many ZWO cameras are dependent on USB3. Another issue I have found, now that I also have a Rock64 sbc, is that the RPi wifi (over usb with dongle) is a lot weaker than a similar solution on the Rock64. Wifi is the weak link in my setup, at the moment. Questions, questions ...

My guess is that these questions will be answered in the weeks to come.

1 hour ago, John78 said:

Looks very much like it, yes.  I'm still of the opinion that it's a prototype and that the actual consumer product may well not be an RPi.  Perhaps as they're showing it at NEAF this weekend we'll get some pictures of the real thing?

James

2 hours ago, Yoddha said:

It is more possible to use INDIGO ;) ZWO has good relations with the INDIGO team.  That platform is a new generation that can also use INDI drivers, but has many advantages... 

Ah yes, did not think of that one, I use a couple of there drivers with my set up on INDI, I also have the INDIGO server set up too, as they are interchangeable, it is the next generation, but with Ekos you do not get the full benefit of the INDIGO driver...as it was not built for it..

Demo video:

1.How to connect your phone or pad to #ASIAIR
2.How to focus with main camera
3.How to guide with guider camera
4.How to image with main camera
5.How to do plate solve
6.How to setup Imaging Sequence
7.How to set SkySafari Bridge
8.Try real target M13

3 hours ago, Yoddha said:

It is more possible to use INDIGO ;) ZWO has good relations with the INDIGO team.  That platform is a new generation that can also use INDI drivers, but has many advantages... 

Good call.  I see one of the ZWO developers is a contributor to INDIGO, so that may well be the case.

James

5 hours ago, Grant said:

ZWO have said only ZWO cameras are supported.

That could be a possible deal breaker for many, as qhy and starlight express have popular guide cameras. But certainly an interesting product for us asi users.

Archived