Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Zeiss Abbe Barlow

I should imagine disciplus55 will be the person who can give you some info on the Zeiss Abbe Barlows. As disciplus55 seems to love the Zeiss product's.

A modern equivalent that is just as good , but cheaper. I should imagine the closest you are going to get to that are the Televue Powermates.

I hope that helps ☺

I own one. Lovely tool, and parfocal at 2x.The only low price barlow at the same level I can think of is the Baader VIP. Different construction though. I prefer the ZAB with my 1.25" eyepieces, whereas the VIP with my zoom or Docter via Baader Push Fix and T2 connection. The VIP in its native shape used to give me an headache as it moved the focus in or out quite a bit in 1.25" mode. Now I only use it in 2" mode, after reversing one 15mm spacer and replacing the 1.25" nosepiece with the Baader T2-Tak adapter for holding the lens (see 1st photo). The nosepieces fitted with the Zoom and Docter add some light path, increasing the magnification a little bit. 

The ZAB works like a charm with the Nikon zoom (see 2nd photo). A combo that weights slightly more than a 24 Pan.. 

20171203_160033.thumb.jpg.b0b44c55985cc9788ba723f55713d6b9.jpg

eyepiece_case_125in_201709.thumb.jpg.b228826f25e85825a7010a98394009ab.jpg

The Zeiss Abbé Barlow is a cracking piece of kit, beautifully compact and very sharp even at higher multiples when used with extension tubes to push up to x4.

I also have an AP Barcon, which is 2” rather than 1.25” for the ZAB, but to me performs just as well. I use the AP mainly for white light solar with binoviewers and again use it up to x4 with amazing results but it is just as effective for lunar or planetary work.

The other alternative is the Baader VIP barlow. This is another excellent bit of kit, but I do think it is just a smidge behind the first two mentioned when used at the higher multiples.

As also mentioned the PowerMates are optically right up there. I particularly like the x2.5, compact and like it is not there at all, extra mag aside of course.

Hello,

Have I heard my name here ? :)

As a matter of fact, i do have one and it is the only I use. I did not keep the TMB one as it required too much infocus, and I didn’t keep my Powermate x2 as it was too heavy... but to be honest, I relied on Airylab tests on an Astrosurf magazine : it was in the top tier with a Clavé barlow, and very close to the regular TV ones. In other words, I do not have too much experience comparing it to other Barlow’s, but it sure is a nice optical element that does not degrade at all the views in the ocular.

clear skies

Sylvain

I bought the Baader VIP to give my Leica zoom (8.9mm-17.8mm) a bit of welly. Very nice bit of kit, but cumbersome when you're trying to keep things short and light. I ended up getting a Leica 1.8x extender instead. But optically the VIP was excellent - certainly up to 2x, which was my highest magnification. 

Archived