Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQMOD and bluetooth

Dave_D

Been messing around with arduinos and bluetooth for a couple of days sending from my tablet. I'm now going to try modding my autofocuser to use bluetooth instead of wired USB.

I'm part way building a box to mount on my scope tube which houses 2 arduinos, each with a stepper driver and bluetooth adaptor. primarily for the focuser, but the second could be used for anything else requiring a stepper (filter wheel springs to mind), 8v and 12v power supplies, and a pass-through USB for the camera.

Has anyone tried programming bluetooth from EQMOD and if so, is there any info available?

scope-head_zpskyubapqa.png

http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/eqdirect2.htm - there is no programming required to use BT as this just provides a transparent pass thru as it creates a "com" device. IMHO you would be better going the UDP/TCP route - again this can be done without any programming (unless you want to create your own Focuser) as it can be easily achieved using,for example, a RPI Zero (W) running Ser2net (you will still need a USB to TTL adapter for mounts) and using any of the existing Arduino Focusers available (Robert Brown's excellent one https://sourceforge.net/projects/arduinofocuscontrollerpro/). Again because it uses "COM" you can achieve "Non Wired" connection but you will have to use something like this https://www.hw-group.com/products/hw_vsp/hw_vsp2_en.html which is free for the one port non commercial version.

The biggest problem is writing the Ascom interface (although RB focuser provides one) as this is geared to "COM". 

If you don't wont Ascom and are writing your own Windows/Android/Linux GUI then perhaps you could look at using MQTT - the only problem being you need a "broker" running but it does do away with having "com" ports and makes life easier in the connection area.

Perhaps you could also look at the ESP8266/ESP32 modules which provide Wifi/UDP/TCP/Bluetooth instead of Nano's etc but can still be programmed via Arduino IDE and may I suggest you read up about AccelStepper  - http://www.airspayce.com/mikem/arduino/AccelStepper/ which provides a reliable,fast and accurate control of most decent stepper motors/Drivers(all types) and is available via Arduino IDE.

Good luck with your project.

Yeah if you get HC05 bluetooth transcievers it will just work when wired onto pin 0 and 1 of the Arduino - just pair the device and it'll appear as a com port which you can then simply select in eqmod the correct port.

The only issuettes I recall is that eqmod only accepts ports numbered 1-16, so if it enumerates as a higher number com port you'll need to readdress it in dev manager and possibly reboot.  I seem to remember every time you pair the adapter it assigns it the next com port number.  The second issue is once the HC05 is plugged in you cannot connect a USB cable and talk to the Arduino.

• 3 weeks later...

Been playing with bluetooth stuff for the past week now and got it all running... switched to HC-05 modules, the SM-08 modules were't up to scratch. Can start wiring this badboy up fully tomorrow.

Twin Arduino Nano/BTE-008 stepper drivers, single usb2 in with 2 usb2 ports for output, 2 HC-05 bluetooth modules and 12v input to  5v/8v/12v outputs for camera (8v) and whatever else i decide to use the 2nd arduino for.

board_zpsmxge7fcm.png 

• 4 weeks later...

not fitted the usb hub yet but got 1 of the arduino/bluetooth sets up and running for the focuser :D and the 12v/8v supplies and the 5v internal supplies for the arduinos/dribers/bluetooth modules

decided not to reinvent the wheel so the arduino is running tekkydaves AAF2 which is performing flawlessly... *applauds dave*

Archived