Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_rgb_winners.thumb.jpg.76afad2f76e2775222463282012f8ea7.jpg

Penguin

Is there such a thing as a reliable USB hub?

iwols    191
On 15/04/2018 at 09:44, LightBucket said:

Have you considered the Startech USB over Ethernet System, they are superb and will never let you down, and will work up to 60m distance, one small powered hub on your mount with four USB ports and another unit connected to your PC, and a CAT 6 Ethernet cable between, they are becoming very popular in the Astro imaging world...

+1 for this

• Like 1

solwisesteve    11

I've also had some issues with USB hubs and extenders.

Plan A was a USB hub connected to a separate USB/lan cable extender and then back to the PC.

I discovered that the PC could see a single USB device on the end of the extender but not a hub :-( So if you were going to go for extending USB over lan cable then go for the type where the extender is also a hub! However these aren't cheap and I didn't really want to spend that much. If I did then I'd probably think about a mini-pc instead with a wifi link.

Plan B was a USB hub but using an active USB extension dongle. This allowed be to extend an extra 7.5m (the longest USB extension cable I have). So the PC could then see the hub and also devices connected to it BUT as soon as I tried to do any serious data traffic, i.e. from the neximage, then it kept on disconnecting/reconnecting on the PC :-( I tried the same HUB but without the extension and the same issues. It looks like getting the cheapest USB hub I could find was a rubbish idea and a waste of a tenner. So at the moment I'm using two USB extensions to different USB ports on the PC. Having one long USB cable would help tidy the cabling and if I could cable-tie a small USB hub to the scope with effectively a single USB cable running back then that would be even better.

So, from the above advice ;-) I've now ordered a Startech brand 4 port USB3 hub. Hopefully this will work where the 'cheapest I could buy' hub failed. :-)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By DeepSkyMan
      Anybody from the UK ever buy a Feathertouch  Microfocuser from the US?  I’m considering replacing my Baader Steeltrack with the Feathertouch.  Comparing prices in the UK against suppliers in the US it seems that it might be beneficial to buy direct from the US, especially considering that as a CN member you get 10% discount from Astronomics.  If the package is small enough it might just get by customs as well 🙂 
    • By Ste297
      Hi I am very new to this and looking to buy my first telescope I dint have a very big budget and looking at a secondhand scope at first. I have come across this on eBay and was wondering what people think of it 
      A Saxon 130 reflector telescope  on an EQ2 mount and has motor drive it comes with 1.5x erecting eyepiece and a Super 10mm eyepiece

Thanks in advance 

Ste
    • By Angusmac62
      Hi Everyone,
      Like a few others out there, my wife and I are new to Astronomy.  We are currently looking at purchasing our first Telescope and have been looking at some of the posts on your great forums.
      We thought we had an idea of what we wanted to get but like everyone, that changes with the information you give and receive from others and what you want to be able to do.
      I am going to take the advice from some of your members and do a bit more reading before spending our hard earned cash.
      My questions are as follows:
      1. We currently do a lot of birdwatching.  Would the Nikon ProStaff 5 Fieldscope 82mm Angled Scope Body and Eyepiece be suitable for some viewing just now until we decide what Telescope and Mount to Purchase?
      2. Would we need to purchase any Filters for the Scope if it is of any use?
      3. We have a couple of sets of Binocculars that we use for birdwatching, would these be any good for viewing anything (Bresser 8 x 42 & 10 x 50)?
      Look forward to any replies and advice you can give.
      Kind Regards
      Angus
    • By GalacticFunatic
      Hey everybody, I’m thinking about picking up a new telescope this year. My budget is about $1000. The features I would like to have with my scope would be it’s GPS enabled, computerized motor system, an HD camera etc. I’m sure you know what I’m looking for. Anyone who could help steer me in in the right direction would be much appreciated. 
    • By DeepSkyMan
      Ok, so this is a follow up to my earlier post, I’ve almost convinced myself to pull the trigger on The Avalon X-Guider,
      http://www.avalon-instruments.com/products/x-guider-telescope-guide
      but I’m hoping for some feedback from SGL members before I make the final commit.  Looking at the animation on the Avalon website the operation looks pretty slick however there is one area that concerns me and that is initial alignment of the device with the optical axis of the main OTA.  It appears that this is wholly dependent on the mechanical attachment to the OTA, in my case this will be the X-Guider Vixen clamp to Vixen (CGE) dovetail bar.  Is there an ability to fine tune this attachment with the X-Guider in addition to the normal Alt-Az adjustment.  Is this even an issue to concern myself with?  Also what is the build quality and function actually like in the flesh, it’s too easy these days to be fooled by glossy web-site advertising?
      Would also appreciate additional feedback from anyone who uses the X-Guider.  I will be going for the clamp top and bottom variation as this seems the cleanest solution for attachment to my existing setup.  In addition to the X-Guider I will need to purchase a dovetail bar for attachment of my finder rings to the X-Guider, some recommendations in this area would also be welcome, although I think the 140mm Primaluce Labs bar looks ideal for this purpose (being of similar livery).
      Kind Regards
      Paul.