Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Are we there yet? The eyepiece 'collection'

Mr Spock

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

Really???   I'm sure you could squeeze in another little one. (You know you want to :icon_biggrin:)

I agree, there's a bit of space under the 17mm! ?

A very nice set there.

20 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

It's a start, Michael!

I'm up to 19 in total (inc. one TV) and don't in truth need any more, but I just can't resist looking for further possible additions/replacements. 

Why are EPs so desirable?

Doug.

They just are Doug, and I have the same problem.....great isn't it :happy11:

11 hours ago, Louis D said:

It appears to be an original TMB Optical Planetary (II?).  The design has been cloned repeatedly since its introduction.

I should add this is a true case of unauthorized cloning.  Thomas M. Back designed the eyepiece line and had it manufactured by an Asian factory.  Apparently, the design was freely shared among various eyepiece manufacturers there against his wishes.  Most other cases of "cloning" are actually multiple brandings of Asian designed and manufactured eyepieces.

On 4/14/2018 at 14:09, cloudsweeper said:

Why are EPs so desirable?

Doug.

Ha! I haven't purchased any astro gear since 2016, and only use my bins these days but I still click on any EP or refractor ad whether it's here or ABS or eBay - wherever - and think 'ooh that's nice'. I've got a Zeiss telementor on my watch list even though I won't be buying it.

I decided to treat my Parks Gold series (aka Celestron Ultimas) to a nice new Ali case (£19.99 delivered on eBay).

L/R back row: 3.8mm, 7.5, 10, 15,.20, 25mm

F/R 30mm. 

The winged eye guards (I have 5 of them) are to the F/R right. I have space (if I eventually get another binoviewer at some point ) to make up a few pairs, I probably would go for 7.5, 15 30s☺.

Below is my now slim range of modern EPs :

L/R Pentax XL10.5mm, Morpheus 17.5, LVW22, TS Paracor 40mm.

Also some bits, clicklock adapters etc

Dave

IMG_20180419_200310281.jpg

IMG_20180419_200405023.jpg

IMG_20180419_200439368.jpg

IMG_20180419_200449857.jpg

49 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Below is my now slim range of modern EPs :

L/R Pentax XL10.5mm, Morpheus 17.5, LVW22, TS Paracor 40mm.

You do realize the Pentax XLs and Vixen LVWs were being sold new at the same time as the Parks Gold series (Celestron Ultimas) back in the 90s?  I'm not sure how you define "modern".

I must be losing interest as I have not bought an eyepiece since October, but I did buy 2 then the 4.7 and 3.7mm Ethos's, as I am now using the main scope I bought them for for AP they have hardly been used which goes to show how much I needed them

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

I am finally content with my collection after much experiment ..... I guess my eyepiece choices have changed to suit the scopes I have owned ? I am feeling pretty settled wth everything these days. 

I am at 11 pieces so far and still havent had my pier base installed. The AZEQ6GT is sitting unused in the garage, the C925 and WO61 have never seen first light. Thoroughly enjoying viewing on a Skytee 2 with my fracs and will order the APM 20 when I get home. Its the same disease I have with camera lenses lol

Simon

On 7/5/2018 at 10:50, Pig said:

I am finally content with my collection after much experiment ..... I guess my eyepiece choices have changed to suit the scopes I have owned ? I am feeling pretty settled wth everything these days. 

Give it a minute!!!!!.

You posted on Monday. Its almost Thursday.  Haven't bought anything?. I admire your will power. 

7 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Give it a minute!!!!!.

You posted on Monday. Its almost Thursday.  Haven't bought anything?. I admire your will power. 

I haven’t bought anything astronomy related since mid April, although I have bought a portable projector so I can protect SkySafari onto my garden fence ..... it’s quite nice having a 150” screen and using it to select targets and control your scope ?

1 hour ago, Pig said:

I haven’t bought anything astronomy related since mid April, although I have bought a portable projector so I can protect SkySafari onto my garden fence ..... it’s quite nice having a 150” screen and using it to select targets and control your scope ?

Sounds like a Jean-Michael Jarre concert ! :icon_biggrin:

On 07/05/2018 at 10:50, Pig said:

A nice new Tak?. Ioptron mount, numerous Televue eyepieces, HR, Tak toe?. 

I can see why you are in a settled place at the moment Shaun. Your kit is at the top of its game ?

28 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

A nice new Tak?. Ioptron mount, numerous Televue eyepieces, HR, Tak toe?. 

I can see why you are in a settled place at the moment Shaun. Your kit is at the top of its game ?

Thank you Simon, it has taken long enough to reach this point and I am sure new projects will arise ?

5 hours ago, Pig said:

5 minutes ago, Pig said:

Thank you Simon, it has taken long enough to reach this point and I am sure new projects will arise ?

Is that new projects or new projector Shaun ?.  I thought most of us were high Tec with apps on mobile phones or Tablets. But you have taken it to a different level with a projector onto a fence. I can see you are going to be a very popular chap at star parties☺

Archived