Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Zero budget astrophotography...

I thought it may be interesting for people wanting a super lightweight and easy to set up form of astrophotography that costs next to nothing. I've taken these three shots with my mobile phone through a pair of cheap binoculars using an ordinary tripod (it belonged to my wife's grandfather). 

5ad1ac577ecf9_straightbackground.thumb.jpg.3691825b4614c32a61461fa7790b4396.jpg

The intergration time for each was only a few minutes. 

Orion: 157 x 1 sec
Andromeda 300 x 2 sec
7 sisters 120 x 2sec

I've made a VIDEO of the method and the surprising adventure I had taking them which you can watch here: 

Edited by rorymultistorey
  • Like 24
  • Haha 1

Wow!!  What a great video.  Played it, half-expecting a dull, monotone dialogue amble.  Was totally shocked to discover it to be inspirational, informative, entertaining and fun. I’ll be sure to check out some of your other stuff now.  Well done ??

• Like 1

Totally agree with Ande, informative, entertaining, funny and very impressive results!

I think any non astronomers might question your sanity, but as a fellow astronomer...being up during the early hours freezing your "bits" off in the middle of nowhere is pretty standard behaviour :icon_biggrin: Thanks for sharing your adventure.

• Like 2

Awe! thanks all. I think most people expect another dull astro video which is why I don't have many views... so please spread the word if you liked it. FYI I make tv shows for a living so this kind of a thing is really a bit of a busmans holiday! V glad you liked it. 

Mentioned this video to my sister, who is also getting into astronomy. She absolutely loved it, and vowed to subscribe. She then proceeded to wade through your back-catalogue, as have I.  And one of the things that really impressed her, and that I had overlooked, is how much more real your videos are because you do not edit out the bad stuff. When your hard drive is full, or when the heavens suddenly open, or clouds roll by day after day you record it all. And it makes your experiences all the more relatable.  It makes such a refreshing change from the perfect world videos out there, that often serve to highlight my short-comings.  Once again, top marks fellow ??

PS: Really hope that you get the opportunity to create more videos of this quality.

Edited by Ande
  • Thanks 1

On 14/04/2018 at 16:12, bottletopburly said:

Very good , how much is the  mount on your profile picture lols

More importantly, how stable is it and does it track properly?

• Haha 1

On 4/14/2018 at 16:12, bottletopburly said:

Very good , how much is the  mount on your profile picture lols

Low initial cost, but the maintenance adds up :)

Loved the video by the way.

• Thanks 1

Thx everyone,  right now ive got a big smile on my face. ?

The mount in my profile pic is getting stronger everyday but  struggles to stay on target after bedtime.  Is there a mod for that??

• Like 3

6 hours ago, rorymultistorey said:

struggles to stay on target after bedtime.  Is there a mod for that?

Make bedtime later >> "after" bedtime becomes later >> stays on target longer ...

I'll get my coat

• Haha 1

I think there is potential and I need to do some more testing when I have time.

Below is a single photo of the moon taken through the eyepiece (afocal) this evening.

Some method of fixing the iPhone to the eyepiece, more frames+stacking and raw would make it better, but it's not a bad test and shows there is potential.IMG_8375.thumb.PNG.e8865fe8bfb3b068f50b363f3b842a35.PNG

• Like 1

That was good :) Rather enjoyed it so cheers until I watch the next one.

Dave

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rorymultistorey said:

wow.  it's really really good. what eyepiece were you using? 

Many thanks, I used an unbranded 8-24mm 1.25" zoom (exactly the same as the Sky-Watcher 8-24mm), so nothing special on an ED80. I committed a cardinal sin though - I didn't make a note of the actual focal length used. I suspect it was nearer to 24mm than 8mm as the HEQ5 wasn't tracking at the time and it didn't move out of the center of the FOV that quickly.

• Thanks 1

I really enjoyed that. I thought it would end before Dartmoor but it didn't. Great stuff. Very funny. 

• Thanks 1

Ha ha I’ve found Astrobiscuit on SGL. Great videos Rory, keep up the good work.

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.