Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Great stuff Rory. I must admit when I first saw the image I thought ‘nah, he’s pulling our legs’ ;) but I really enjoyed your video and think the results are amazing! Nice one!

I’m a big fan of smart phone AP, my best single iPhone shot of M42 attached, plus my best Jupiter :);)

I do wish someone would develop an iPhone app which allows stacking of images on the phone, I might manage something a bit better then!

9078EC0C-6E62-4419-A5C4-06BCECDE2088.jpeg

C7A17726-160D-41ED-9A9F-05D10545BD8E.jpeg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 26/04/2018 at 18:07, Cpaulo said:

Ha ha I’ve found Astrobiscuit on SGL. Great videos Rory, keep up the good work.

Thx fella.  I'm glad i posted here.  Just checked my youtube account and Sgl is currently accounting for about 30% of my hits.  Wow!  Thx SGL!? 

I was actually about to put a link in the Astro-lounge to your YouTube channel and suggest the SGL community check it out. However i found you're already here. I've watched all your Astro videos on YT and quite frankly I can't wait for what's next!

7 hours ago, Cpaulo said:

I was actually about to put a link in the Astro-lounge to your YouTube channel and suggest the SGL community check it out. However i found you're already here. I've watched all your Astro videos on YT and quite frankly I can't wait for what's next!

Much appreciated Cpaulo...

Perhaps you or anyone else who's reading could help choose what to do next...

1) - Jupiter for £100

2) - Refractors vs reflectors - 120mm f8 skywatcher refractor vs 150mm f8 orion reflector both shooting jupiter.

3) The dark side of the moon - I've got access to Nasa's audio and video recordings of the the guys in Apollo 8 : the first humans to see the dark side of the moon.

4) cheap solar astrophotography: I'm trying to figure out how to shoot solar flares without spending thousands. Def work in progress this one. If anyone has any cool tricks please let me know!

On 4/26/2018 at 21:15, Stu said:

Great stuff Rory. I must admit when I first saw the image I thought ‘nah, he’s pulling our legs’ ;) but I really enjoyed your video and think the results are amazing! Nice one!

I’m a big fan of smart phone AP, my best single iPhone shot of M42 attached, plus my best Jupiter :);)

I do wish someone would develop an iPhone app which allows stacking of images on the phone, I might manage something a bit better then!

WOOOH!!! Please let me know the details for jupiter. I'm currently working on shooting jupiter for 100quid and using a phone  could be great for that. Any yes I totally agree - stacking software on a phone would be amazing.  I could stack shots and process them on the commute to work. I did a quick search a while ago but couldn't find anything... but hey if phone astrophotography takes off it may happen. Unfortunately phone cameras aren't necessarily getting better;  I notice lots of the modern phones have fancy double cameras systems which I don't think will help astrophotographers at all.

21 minutes ago, rorymultistorey said:

Unfortunately phone cameras aren't necessarily getting better

Not sure I agree with that point. The results Gavstar gets from his Samsung S9 are significantly better than my iPhone 6 Plus. I agree that the dual cameras etc won’t be of any interest.

I use an app called ProCam5 to take my images, it allows much better control over iso, shutter and focus. Controlling the brightness on Jupiter is the biggest issue. Nightcap is another good app for longer exposures. I can’t recall specifically but I think that shot was taken through one channel of my binoviewers, on my Tak FC100DC, just handheld at the eyepiece.

I normally process using an app called PS Express which has some good features on it.  Would love a stacking app!

If you search for StuPOD on here, you will find my thread with lots of good, bad and awful phone shots in it :) Some good advice too on how people are using phones to take astro images.

Wow! I have often dreamed of doing AP on the cheap and as soon as I've put anything in action I've changed my mind 'because it will never work'. What has been done here is amazing and I cant wait to give it a try myself.

THANKS

Archived