Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Zero budget astrophotography...

I thought it may be interesting for people wanting a super lightweight and easy to set up form of astrophotography that costs next to nothing. I've taken these three shots with my mobile phone through a pair of cheap binoculars using an ordinary tripod (it belonged to my wife's grandfather). 

5ad1ac577ecf9_straightbackground.thumb.jpg.3691825b4614c32a61461fa7790b4396.jpg

The intergration time for each was only a few minutes. 

Orion: 157 x 1 sec
Andromeda 300 x 2 sec
7 sisters 120 x 2sec

I've made a VIDEO of the method and the surprising adventure I had taking them which you can watch here: 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow!!  What a great video.  Played it, half-expecting a dull, monotone dialogue amble.  Was totally shocked to discover it to be inspirational, informative, entertaining and fun. I’ll be sure to check out some of your other stuff now.  Well done ??

Totally agree with Ande, informative, entertaining, funny and very impressive results!

I think any non astronomers might question your sanity, but as a fellow astronomer...being up during the early hours freezing your "bits" off in the middle of nowhere is pretty standard behaviour :icon_biggrin: Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Awe! thanks all. I think most people expect another dull astro video which is why I don't have many views... so please spread the word if you liked it. FYI I make tv shows for a living so this kind of a thing is really a bit of a busmans holiday! V glad you liked it. 

Mentioned this video to my sister, who is also getting into astronomy. She absolutely loved it, and vowed to subscribe. She then proceeded to wade through your back-catalogue, as have I.  And one of the things that really impressed her, and that I had overlooked, is how much more real your videos are because you do not edit out the bad stuff. When your hard drive is full, or when the heavens suddenly open, or clouds roll by day after day you record it all. And it makes your experiences all the more relatable.  It makes such a refreshing change from the perfect world videos out there, that often serve to highlight my short-comings.  Once again, top marks fellow ??

PS: Really hope that you get the opportunity to create more videos of this quality.

I think there is potential and I need to do some more testing when I have time.

Below is a single photo of the moon taken through the eyepiece (afocal) this evening.

Some method of fixing the iPhone to the eyepiece, more frames+stacking and raw would make it better, but it's not a bad test and shows there is potential.IMG_8375.thumb.PNG.e8865fe8bfb3b068f50b363f3b842a35.PNG

8 hours ago, rorymultistorey said:

wow.  it's really really good. what eyepiece were you using? 

Many thanks, I used an unbranded 8-24mm 1.25" zoom (exactly the same as the Sky-Watcher 8-24mm), so nothing special on an ED80. I committed a cardinal sin though - I didn't make a note of the actual focal length used. I suspect it was nearer to 24mm than 8mm as the HEQ5 wasn't tracking at the time and it didn't move out of the center of the FOV that quickly.

Archived