Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_close-ups_winners.thumb.jpg.b5fb18580607a749e382266fe55a02a1.jpg

Posted (edited)

Zero budget astrophotography...

I thought it may be interesting for people wanting a super lightweight and easy to set up form of astrophotography that costs next to nothing. I've taken these three shots with my mobile phone through a pair of cheap binoculars using an ordinary tripod (it belonged to my wife's grandfather). 

5ad1ac577ecf9_straightbackground.thumb.jpg.3691825b4614c32a61461fa7790b4396.jpg

The intergration time for each was only a few minutes. 

Orion: 157 x 1 sec
Andromeda 300 x 2 sec
7 sisters 120 x 2sec

I've made a VIDEO of the method and the surprising adventure I had taking them which you can watch here: 

Edited by rorymultistorey
  • Like 24
  • Haha 1

Wow!!  What a great video.  Played it, half-expecting a dull, monotone dialogue amble.  Was totally shocked to discover it to be inspirational, informative, entertaining and fun. I’ll be sure to check out some of your other stuff now.  Well done 🙂🙂

• Like 1

Wow! Very impressive Rory. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Totally agree with Ande, informative, entertaining, funny and very impressive results!

I think any non astronomers might question your sanity, but as a fellow astronomer...being up during the early hours freezing your "bits" off in the middle of nowhere is pretty standard behaviour :icon_biggrin: Thanks for sharing your adventure.

• Like 2

Awe! thanks all. I think most people expect another dull astro video which is why I don't have many views... so please spread the word if you liked it. FYI I make tv shows for a living so this kind of a thing is really a bit of a busmans holiday! V glad you liked it. 

7 minutes ago, rorymultistorey said:

please spread the word if you liked it.

Link posted on my FB page.

• Thanks 1

Great video Rory! Inspirational!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Mentioned this video to my sister, who is also getting into astronomy. She absolutely loved it, and vowed to subscribe. She then proceeded to wade through your back-catalogue, as have I.  And one of the things that really impressed her, and that I had overlooked, is how much more real your videos are because you do not edit out the bad stuff. When your hard drive is full, or when the heavens suddenly open, or clouds roll by day after day you record it all. And it makes your experiences all the more relatable.  It makes such a refreshing change from the perfect world videos out there, that often serve to highlight my short-comings.  Once again, top marks fellow 🙂🙂

PS: Really hope that you get the opportunity to create more videos of this quality.

Edited by Ande
  • Thanks 1

On 14/04/2018 at 16:12, bottletopburly said:

Very good , how much is the  mount on your profile picture lols

More importantly, how stable is it and does it track properly?

• Haha 1

On 4/14/2018 at 16:12, bottletopburly said:

Very good , how much is the  mount on your profile picture lols

Low initial cost, but the maintenance adds up :)

Loved the video by the way.

• Thanks 1

Yes they always work well to start off with short sessions work well long sessions known for failing 😂😂😂😂

• Haha 2

Rory, a very entertaining video :-) 

• Thanks 1

Thx everyone,  right now ive got a big smile on my face. 😊

The mount in my profile pic is getting stronger everyday but  struggles to stay on target after bedtime.  Is there a mod for that?😂

• Like 3

6 hours ago, rorymultistorey said:

struggles to stay on target after bedtime.  Is there a mod for that?

Make bedtime later >> "after" bedtime becomes later >> stays on target longer ...

I'll get my coat

• Haha 1

I think there is potential and I need to do some more testing when I have time.

Below is a single photo of the moon taken through the eyepiece (afocal) this evening.

Some method of fixing the iPhone to the eyepiece, more frames+stacking and raw would make it better, but it's not a bad test and shows there is potential.IMG_8375.thumb.PNG.e8865fe8bfb3b068f50b363f3b842a35.PNG

• Like 1

That was good :) Rather enjoyed it so cheers until I watch the next one.

Dave

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rorymultistorey said:

wow.  it's really really good. what eyepiece were you using? 

Many thanks, I used an unbranded 8-24mm 1.25" zoom (exactly the same as the Sky-Watcher 8-24mm), so nothing special on an ED80. I committed a cardinal sin though - I didn't make a note of the actual focal length used. I suspect it was nearer to 24mm than 8mm as the HEQ5 wasn't tracking at the time and it didn't move out of the center of the FOV that quickly.

• Thanks 1

I really enjoyed that. I thought it would end before Dartmoor but it didn't. Great stuff. Very funny. 

• Thanks 1

Ha ha I’ve found Astrobiscuit on SGL. Great videos Rory, keep up the good work.

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Craig Shaw
      I have searched SGL for a tutorial incase this has been covered so forgive me if it has. I've also searched the web in general and couldn't find a full tutorial to do this, so i have collated a couple of tutorials that make it work.

I have managed to get SkySafari to work with a £32 ish Raspberry Pi3 and the cable that came with my scope with a usb to serial converter - the same things you need for connecting to a PC. It allows me to control the scope using the SkySafari Plus app on my tablet or phone AND it creates a wifi hotspot on the Raspberry Pi so it doesnt have to be on a network to work. This also turns the pi into a natty mini wireless router which is handy if you travel since it gives you a private wireless network when plugged into hotel wired internet 😁
      ***STANDARD DISCLAIMER***
      I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT MAY OCCUR  TO YOUR HARDWARE BY FOLLOWING THIS POST OR ANYTHING LINKED TO THIS POST

It takes about 30 mins to do the tinkering, make sure you use the latest LITE version of raspbian.
      You need:
      Raspberry Pi 3 Portable power to it (preferably) Raspbian Lite Image file Appropriate cables to connect your Telescope to it via USB Computer connected to network Network cable to connect Raspberry Pi for initial setup A GoTo / Push To etc telescope mount compatible with SkySafari Plus / Pro A nice case for the Raspberry Pi
      You need to know a little about accessing the Raspberry Pi by SSH.
      For windows, use Win32 Disk Imager to burn the latest Raspbian LITE image to a micro sd card. Open the card on the pc (called boot) and make a blank file on it called 'ssh' - no file extension. This enables ssh access automatically.
      Stick it in your Pi and plug it into your network router and a power source.
      Find its ip address - i log into my router by typing its ip address into a web browser and look at connected devices, there are other methods though.

I use a program called Putty to ssh.

There are many tutorials on how to do the above and it isnt as hard as it first seems.

I used 2 tutorials to do this and i will link to them directly as the original authors explain it better than me. The first one is muuuch longer than the second which is just 3 steps so bare with it.

***NOTE***
      When the first tutorial suggests a reboot after the upgrade, DO IT! Then ssh back into the Pi and continue.

Don't bother rebooting after tutorial 1 either.
      Tutorial 1 - Turn Raspberry Pi into a portable wifi hotspot

See 'CONNECTING' after doing step 2 in the next tutorial to actually connect to the scope as what you have just done changes it a bit.

Tutorial 2 - Make it talk to SkySafari App and the 'Scope

You can now unplug the pi from your router. Plug your USB to serial adapter into the pi, your telescope cable into that and connect it to your scope as you would do with a pc (mine is into the AutoStar hand box) and use it as a stand alone adapter just like the £200 SkyFi adapter!

CONNECTING:
      To connect SkySafari to the pi you simply connect your tablet or phone to the pi's network like you would any other wifi network, i called mine Scope, connect using the security key / password you made up in tutorial 1. Open SkySafari and follow step 3 in the second tutorial but with IP address 192.168.0.10 - the port is still 4000 (unless you changed it)

If you are at home and your cable is long enough to reach your router you can plug the pi into that and use your home internet too - which you cant do with the SkyFi adapter!
      I am going to shorten my serial cable to make it a neater package, i can always solder new plus to make an extension if i ever need one.

I am also working on finding out how to make it share usb internet so a 4g dongle can be plugged into it when out and about since when you connect to the pi's wifi in the field you will not have internet on the device connected to it.
      Also the Pi could possibly be used for imaging or tracking, someone on here will probably know more on this.
    • By astrosathya
      Hi All,
      I purchased a GSO 6" f/4 Newtonian "Astrograph" late last year and eventually found that stars on one corner were egg shaped while taking images. I narrowed it down to improper centering of secondary mirror from the factory and resulting tilt. 
      Long story short, after numerous iterations, I used the Advanced Newtonian collimation technique by Astro Shed guy and ended up with the below pic of the optics. Does it look ok or do I need to do more? I will be checking with a Howie this weekend too.

• By JAFULTON
      Hi guys and gals,
      I recently purchased a pair of Nikon Aculon 10-22×50 Zoom binoculars for around $179 and I'm pretty disappointed with them.  I live in Semi-rural northeast Texas and was looking for a good pair of binoculars for a casual stargazer like myself.  I thought these would be the perfect pair, I was wrong. The field of view is pretty small and the focus is annoying.  The view is like tunnel vision at 10× and too dark at 22×. 
      Do any of you individuals have any helpful suggestions on what exactly I should get that suites my individual needs?
      I am looking for something that won't break the bank (under $300), has a large field of view, would allow me to see the moons of Jupiter, the Andromeda Galaxy, starclusters, nebulae, and maybe some of the Messier Objects?  Also, without a tripod needed. I would like something  that is comfortable on the eye and easy to hold.
      Its asking a lot, I know. But I'm hoping some of you who are more knowledgeable on the subject would be able to help me out?
      Thanks.

• By Pathos73
      Hi all,
      I have been gifted a pair of Arena Observation 25x100 binoculars and a Slik Pro 700DX tripod. I have trawled the internet, but have been unable to find any information on the binoculars. Could someone kindly provide me with any info on them, they seem pretty damn good.
      TIA
    • By Earth Demon
      Getting back into astronomy after many years.  Really tasted the thrill as a youngster: eg
      Jupiter Saturn conj of 1981 viewed through a 4" refractor
      Splitting the double on the 'tip of the sword' of Cygnus - which as I recall were red and green.
      Naked eye all night sessions in Spain and New Zealand.
      For the last couple of weeks I have been getting off to dark skies a few miles from where I live and using 8x32's and I have just bought some used Celestron (Echelon) 16x70's which came a couple of days ago - since which time, in accordance with the Laws of Physics, the skies have been cloudy!
      I am probably going to get an Orion parallelogram tripod, but there are long waiting times - in the meantime would love to know of any advice people may have on monopods / heads and a mount that will fix to the Echelons.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.