Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

White light 13/4/18 1700 CET question

domstar

Hi everyone,

Was anyone white light observing this afternoon? I saw a sun spot with three faint ones below it in the top half but right at 12 o'clock (my son saw it too). When I looked on the internet, they all have a spot on the left and possibly a bit lower. Would that be the same spot that has moved? I'm just trying to reconcile what I see on the solar sites and what I should be looking for. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Floater said:

Your eyepiece view will be swapped left to right, I think.

Thanks, I was wondering. Is it possible for a sunspot to move so quickly across the disc or did it disappear and a new one appear somewhere else? Do you take those websites as just a rough guide or a fairly accurate representation of what you will (probably) see? Is it often worth looking when there's nothing showing on NASA?

Any sunspot will not move quickly across the disc. The Sun takes ~24-28 days to rotate. Spots can decay and disappear. Most websites are pretty accurate - GONG is usually updated by the minute.

It’s always worth looking. If you don’t look you cannot see! ?

This may just also be related to the apparent change in orientation of the sun as it progresses across the sky ie it appears to rotate clockwise a certain amount relative to us through the day.

Archived