Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

tomato

Street Lights can cause cancer?

Always worrying when councils / government officials feel the need to make public denials , like when the prime minister says he has every confidence in the home secretary and a week later he resigns.

There may well be health risks associated with full spectrum night time lighting for the animal kingdom as well as humans, unfortunately the only incentive councils have is financial.

Dave

• Like 1

Well, at least they've made contingency plans for the zombie apocalypse.

• Haha 1

This is the best   only good reason I've found so far to join titter/book, I think we should all go spreading this 'true' news  :evil4:  :happy2:   :evil3:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

This is the best   only good reason I've found so far to join titter/book, I think we should all go spreading this 'true' news  :evil4:  :happy2:   :evil3:

Hear, hear! With the exception of traffic signals, all outdoor lighting is deemed to be hazardous to your health and our environment and should therefore be turned off permanently.

• Like 1

The bit that worries me is......

" We’ve taken advice from Public Health England who reviewed guidance issued by the World Health Organisation, the International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation and others, and they have confirmed that there is no risk".

They had to take advice????? Who were the others?

Maybe street light can't cause cancer, buuuut, the sun can. Spend more time outside at night for a decreased risk of cancer.

;) 

• Haha 1

Whether they cause tumors or not, they are very good at making Cancer hard to see.

Although sometimes even I think we take light pollution too seriously. I worry that if outsiders saw some of what we say sometimes they would think us fanatics!

I feel in most densely populated areas you need some form of street illumination. I also feel that most of the street illumination (and the laws regarding home outdoor illumination and illuminated buildings) is poorly designed and inconsiderate.

All that is really needed is for illuminated buildings (they've built this new building in plymouth (beckley point) which has about 50 strip lights on the side of it, god knows why) is a curfew, or a limit on maximum total illumination per cubed meter. While street lamps should be warmly tinted, use motion sensors and be appropriately bright while being designed not to send light upwards directly. Civilian outdoor lights should be limited to a maximum brightness and be legally required to be installed and calibrated properly and not intrude onto others property (my neighbor opposite has an outdoor light which is basically perpendicular to the ground... and picks me up from my own driveway 15-20 meters away).

Just following those rules would make our hobby much more accessible while not disturbing the general population. Of course I'm sure some will complain regardless. "The street lamps used to let me read in my living room with the lights off, I want that back!" or as my grandparents said "It's terrible! you get these 'pools of light' and between them you can't see anything!". I went up to see them not long after and noticed that the areas between street lamps were not dark, just not as bright as the sun outside of the lamp's immediate effect.

Just had smart meters install and I mentioned how much the council would save if the lights where switched off after a certain time,he wasn’t happy apparently he lives in a village nearby by and he can’t see his hand in front of his face when he walks his dog.Lucky fellow I thought was gonna lend him my most expensive torch if he told me where he lived!?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, triton1 said:

he can’t see his hand in front of his face when he walks his dog.

What's his problem, I always walked my dogs in the woods with no torch, eyes soon become accustomed to seeing in the dark.

Dave

• Like 2

When we lived in Dorset we used to walk the dogs at night on the heath and never used a torch.  As was said, our eyes soon got used to the dark and it was lovely up on the heathland under the stars with just the sound of nightjars :)

• Like 1

A denial is as good as confirmation, I say.  Get all of those street lamps turned off right away.  Think of the children!

James

Wasn't this story about the use of 5G Transmitters within the lamp posts rather then the light, sure I read the story elsewhere which made it clearer. Basically having a 5G transmitter a few feet away from your bedroom window is never gonna be beneficial, there were allegedly clusters of still births and illness around the affected areas.  

Edited by Hertford Stargazer
spelling

Tinfoil hat - works everytime :wink2:

• Haha 1

Compelling evidence from The Metro's article on Gateshead Council’s ‘smoke screen’ denial about 5G in their street lights, and spectacular in more ways than one...

Kim Newton wrote:My dads sisters daughters boyfriend’s sister works in at bewicks and she says its true, she thinks she heard 2 councillors discussing it over chocolate chip muffins.
Edited by DRT
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Tinfoil hat - works everytime :wink2:

You know... If it's 5G microwave signals we're concerned about maybe a tin foil hat would work? First time for everything!

On 13/04/2018 at 18:18, pipnina said:

My neighbor opposite has an outdoor light which is basically perpendicular to the ground. 

Aren't they all? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

My point was that virtually every security light I've seen is fitted to shine horizontally across to whoever is unfortunate enough to be in the beam path. If it was a requirement to have them shining back at the owners property this certainly wouldn't happen. 

• Like 3