Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Greetings from Denmark

George Gearless

Hi Loungers.

Very excited about finding this forum. I've lurked about for a bit and figured I'd stop 'standing in the corner, smiling shyly' and jump in the mix.

I'm an amateurs amateur. But I am not completely green. Many years ago, I bought a 150mm newtonian reflector on an equaly cheap and flimsy equatorial mount. I think the optics were made in a mudhut in Timbuktu, using a derelict bathroom mirror and then furiously scrubbed with a brilo pad until the (approximate) curvature was achieved. I had generously supported the 'bamboo' tripod with my own attempts at mechanical engineering, and used an intricate system of nuts and bolts and support wires, to avoid the whole damn thing falling down. Needless to say, I often favoured my swiss quality Zeiss binoculars over the arduous task of erecting the telescope, when a stary night was offered. Not to mention struggling with the polar alignment. Moving to an apartment, mid city, didn't help the situation much.

Fast forward 15 years or so.

My interest was recently rekindled. I moved to a house outside the city with a small garden. During the move, I stumbled upon the telescope and figured I'd take it with me in the hopes that having my own garden to meddle about with it, would grant me at least some viewing pleasure. Alas, I must report that the 15+ years in a cardboard box in a damp basement, had not magicaly improved the optics of this exquisite and finely honed instrument. And so my internet research for a suitable replacement started. And yes, my searches brought me by this forum on many occasions.

Now, I am the proud and VERY happy owner of a brand new Skywatcher 127 WiFi Synscan, AZ mount. I could propably go on for several pages about my deliberations on which scope to buy. But suffice it to say that quick n' easy setup, mobility, and price, were at the top of the list. Given that I live in Denmark and that good observation weather is relatively scarce, I couldn't justify to myself an investment of thousands of €'s. At least not until I've developed my interest into something more than a passing fancy.

Even with the above mentioned reservations and limitations in choice of telescope, I am soooo happy with what I have. Peaking through the clouds, I've seen a pretty decent Venus, the Pleyades, an angry red Betelguese and a completely star littered field of view when pointing into our galaxy. My only dissapointment was the sun. I had purchased a sun filter. And all giddy with excitement I pointed my scope at completely clean faced and spotless sun *sigh*. The moon has yet to present itself at a respectable hour, which is where my telescope will truly shine (I hope). 

I am hoping to augment my viewing pleasure with some photography. I have borrowed a bresser WiFi camera from a friend (who bought it for other purposes), and at least now I know what NOT to buy. I'm thinking a DSLR. I have an older Olympus mirror reflex camera that I think will serve the purpose. I am sure I will bug the hell out of people in the 'astrophotography' forum on how to achieve this with half-decent results.

Anyway; happy to be here. And I am looking forward to being more than a lurker. Allthough I will probably not be able to contribute more than the viewpoints of an amateurs amateur :).

Georg

Hi, Georg, and welcome to SGL.

4 hours ago, George Gearless said:

I am sure I will bug the hell out of people in the 'astrophotography' forum on how to achieve this with half-decent results.

We LOVE questions. Keep'em coming and you will find a wealth of knowledge combined with a willingness to share it.

Just to confirm, it is a front-end solar filter you are using and not one of those (dangerous) silly ones that you screw into the eyepiece, isn't it?

Georg, welcome. It sounds like you have the same weather challenges in Denmark that we have here in the UK. Hopefully you will get some clear skies to use your Skywatcher 127mm.

Hi George, and welcome ?.  I can wholeheartedly confirm that the moon is well worth observing with your 127. I have the same scope, and the lunar views were breathtaking in the short opportunity that I had. 

Thank you for the warm welcome, everyone.

@Victor Boesen: I live in Hinnerup near Århus. I am fortunate to have access to a summerhouse on Endelave where there is next to no light pollution. Weather permitting, I plan on going there for some weekends (it's too long a commute for just one day/night). It's so dark there, that the milky way is a clearly visible 'milky' band across the sky, with the naked eye.

@ DemonPerformer: Indeed it is a front-end filter. I've run into similarly worded warnings like your own when doing my internet research. I've cut some packaging foam to fit the aperture of my telescope and stretched and locked the filter between two of these foam blocks. Fits nice and snugly. Made a 1 cm recess in the back end, so I can 'slap' it on the telescope without damaging the filter. It seems very delicate (the filter). So I thought I'd do my best to protect it. 

@Ande: Delighted to hear your 'review' of observing the moon. Once our old friend the moon decides to show his face in the night sky again, I feel confident that I'll be matching your enthusiasm.

1 hour ago, George Gearless said:

@Victor Boesen: I live in Hinnerup near Århus. I am fortunate to have access to a summerhouse on Endelave where there is next to no light pollution. Weather permitting, I plan on going there for some weekends (it's too long a commute for just one day/night). It's so dark there, that the milky way is a clearly visible 'milky' band across the sky, with the naked eye.

I always tend to get jealous when people tell me about their dark skies and this certainly does just that:hmh:

Hi Georg[e] and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Seeing as you come from Denmark and reading your intro, I had visions of you owning a telescope made from Lego. No offence I hope, and to other Danes that maybe reading this. :icon_clown:

Wishing you clear skies.

Phil

Archived