Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_through_the-_eyepiece.thumb.jpg.cb85f690376dcb3053c747827de6bf9e.jpg

Posted (edited)

Amazing facts and detail in this 4K tour of the lunar surface!

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Excellent, thanks for posting, I need to see this o the big screen now!

• Like 1

Now I'm not going to be able to observe Tycho without contemplating that boulder perched on its peak...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i don't see how that boulder could be a mystery though, i would bet it was just below the surface until impact threw it in the air and it came to rest where it is no?.

On 4/13/2018 at 00:26, Sunshine said:

i don't see how that boulder could be a mystery though, i would bet it was just below the surface until impact threw it in the air and it came to rest where it is no?.

I suppose the dynamics of crater formation are such that a large majority of boulders would be flung far away from the crust upheaval which causes the central peak. The experts seem to believe it's sufficiently statistically unusual to justify further research anyway.

Thanks for posting this, it's wonderful. I wonder what are the chances that boulder landed there after being ejected from a nearby crater impact site. :)

Superb, many thanks. This is going to get watched and watched.