Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_open_clusters.thumb.jpg.f534ff4cbeb9f1a55a0d894ac8bc190b.jpg

jamie56    110

Hi all maybe a silly question where is the sgl parties held, I am based in central scotland  and was thinking of heading to one. 

Sunshine    404

I wish i could go to an SGL star party!

• Like 1

Davey-T    10,290
15 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I wish i could go to an SGL star party!

Emphasis is more on the party bit than the star bit, really just an excuse to eat and drink too much :grin:

Dave

• Haha 2

Davey-T    10,290
25 minutes ago, jamie56 said:

Hi Ian what time of year and have you been at any. 

Jim

http://sglsp.com/

Dave

Uplooker    1,424
4 hours ago, jamie56 said:

Hi Ian what time of year and have you been at any. 

Jim

Hi Jim, I have not attended any SGL SPs. There are lot of folk on here who do attend. That’s a very long trip for you to make

• Like 1

jamie56    110
17 hours ago, Uplooker said:

Hi Jim, I have not attended any SGL SPs. There are lot of folk on here who do attend. That’s a very long trip for you to make

Cheers Ian, yep long way to go, stick with Lesleys at least we get some good nites there. Was looking for other venues at different time of the year and don't fancy keilder. 

Adrian Condon    286

Hi Jim,

I have been to a number go SGL Star Parties at Lucksall campsite near Hereford.

It is a friendly event, with classes on various astronomical subjects, with a decent Hog Roast on the Saturday evening. The site does wonderful breakfasts and serves drinks in the evenings in the Cafe. For people living within 200 miles of the site it is a great place to go.

About 150+ people attend.

Are the skies dark there?   .... No ....  nothing like Kirkinner. The light pollution from Hereford and Ross-on-Wye just don't help.

Why do I travel 800 mile round trip to the Galloway Star Party instead of 260 mile round trip to Lucksall, simple answer dark unpolluted sky!

Why do three other SGL Lucksall regulars make the trip to Kirkinner?      Friendly clear dark skies..... 

So Jim, if I lived 60 miles from Kirkinner, I would go there often.  (the whiskey tasting sessions at Kirkinner are better as well.....)

Cheers

Adrian

• Like 1

carastro    2,740

Yes, a really long way for you,  Why don't you try Kielder (Northumberland), or Galloway NP star parties, they will be even darker.  Of course not an SGL star party.

Carole 

Uplooker    1,424

Jim,

Another option is Yorkshire Moors.

@mapstar and I have used a campsite called Usha Gap, just outside Muker. @nightfisher put us on to it. The skies are dark, not as good as Galloway and not the same horizons, but still good. It is a farm campsite with good facilities and friendly and welcoming hosts.

Again it would not be an SGL SP and would required organising amongst like minded individuals.

Just another option 😁

• Like 2

Mark at Beaufort    2,847
3 hours ago, Adrian Condon said:

Are the skies dark there?   .... No ....  nothing like Kirkinner. The light pollution from Hereford and Ross-on-Wye just don't help.

Before I comment on this I would say that Adrian is a great guy and a pleasure to know.

However, reading this statement implies that Lucksall is a bad light polluted site - this is not the case. Yes there is some LP from Hereford in the North - Ross on Wye is far less - if any really. I live 10 minutes from Lucksall with the same sky - I think my signature says it all.

When we first used Lucksall I did a survey and saw, very easily, M33 and M1 in binoculars. I have also view the Horsehead from Lucksall. Yes there are darker sites but the SGL star parties are also an excellent social event where you will also make new friends and see some great equipment but also gain knowledge and experience.

I appreciate its a long way from Scotland but some SGL members have traveled to Lucksall from Scotland.

• Like 1

25585    823

I intend to do a trial trip to Lucksall to see if it's possible for daily commuting to from Taunton. The Salisbury mini-party site used in March definitely is. 

Davey-T    10,290
36 minutes ago, 25585 said:

The Salisbury mini-party site used in March definitely is. 

Depends how deep the snowdrifts are :grin:

Dave

• Haha 1

Mr Spock    5,404

Quick 'snap' of the sky at Lucksall. Not bad really :wink2:

D72_2988 1024.jpg

• Like 3

Adrian Condon    286

Hi Mark,

Great as usual to hear from you.  I hope I was not giving the impression that Lucksall was poor for dark skies. It is considerably better than the area around here with its light pollution from Watford and London. I have enjoyed all my trips to Lucksall and have managed to make some good friends.

I hope to visit again but given the really dark skies at the Galloway SP on a clear night, well......

I had last summer the good fortune to meet up with two of the SGLers who had come all the down from Shieldaig (north west Scotland) to Lucksall, it took them 2 days of driving. Importantly, they brought those wonderful cakes with the constellations on them to celebrate the 10th Anniversary if you remember.

I know Jim from Scotland personally and it would not be fair to let him drive hundreds of miles to Lucksall, thinking of getting the skies we get in Galloway. The big advantage of SGL SP at Lucksall for me is.... it is relatively close to me, chance to meet SGLers and learn from some knowledgeable people.  

Anyway, wishing everybody clear skies for October.

Cheers

Adrian

Stu    17,502

Lucksall is not perfect by any means, but when conditions are good, it can still give fabulous views. At SGL10 we had 4 clear nights, 2 of them with pretty good transparency, and I was seeing galaxies down to mag 14.2 ish, maybe more in my 16” dob. M101 and M33 were lovely.

For me, it’s a case of being possible to get to vs Scotland being impossible to get to; the additional journey time just rules it out for a weekend trip for me.

Would I like to observe from Galloway? You bet’cha! Am I happy to get a few days at Lucksall meeting many people from SGL? Very much so! Would I travel down from Scotland to Lucksall? Probably not, with better skies closer to me.

Anyway, I hope plenty of people come to Lucksall, I’ve made some fantastic friendships via meeting people at star parties, the original Peak Star Party and SGL too.

• Like 2

25585    823
Posted (edited)

Probably a case for more regional/informal SGL member parties. So those nearest to wherever have a more amenable location.  

That apart, time away including travelling makes daily commutable locations appealing. 

Edited by 25585

Adrian Condon    286

Hi Stu,

I agree with your comments, Galloway for most of SGLers south of the Birmingham is definitely out of reach for a weekend.

Most of the people attending Galloway come from Newcastle, Manchester, Preston, Glasgow, Perth and places in Scotland.

The majority attend for 6 to 12 days, most coming for a weekend extend it to 3 nights if not 4 nights (Thursday to Monday).

Usually find that half the nights at Galloway are clear. The others are cloudy and present a great opportunity for Whiskey Tasting sessions.

This February we had about 3 nights in a row that were miserable, the other nights were reasonable, not quite as brillant as some of the nights in previous years. The November 2017 event had to be cancelled because there was so much rain in the previous 2 months.

I am thinking of going to SGL Lucksall this coming October, there are plans for a September SP on the Isle of Man (currently being agreed with the local astronomical society) and of course Galloway in November. 

It would be enjoyable to meet up again!!!!

Cheers

Adrian