Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

i have an ancient watec 120n (more about that later) but recently i purchased a ZWO AI120MC. i use a Computar 5 mm f/1.4 lens, sky studio pro software( interfaces with ZWO windows driver, cool!), xvid codec, 4 second integration. no guiding (of course). pointing at a circumpolar point north by north east approximately 45 degrees declination. 

i have been influenced by security and dash cams capturing, inadvertently, fire balls. why not do it on purpose? i have been for a few years now. sure, i capture meteors but mostly i get jet aircraft, satellites and...

i upload videos to my youtube channel. everyone is invited to check them out.

i also have orion all in one and an astroscope image intensifier on  canon t1i and t3i. 

it is my opinion that there are more short dim meteors than long bright ones. there are more satellites than meteors and more jet aircraft than satellites. something else...you foe? cloudy nights? check out my star field time lapses.

youtube, what can i say? full screen in darkened room, make sure the gear has HD in red, click and select if not. find an intriguing clip? get a youtube down loader for best quality on your local drive. try adjusting play back speeds. 

Edited by moe mountain mike
  • Like 4

Love the video, i think i enjoyed the way stars flashed as the broke from behind the trees edges the most.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By A_Chobanova
      We carefully monitor the displacement of the radiant. It looks like a meteor shower!
    • By Mark Daniels
      Hi
      i have a few bits and pieces of space stuff i have collected over the years. I have never owned a meteor though and i thought it might be nice to start a little collection
      has anybody on here got a collection and if so could you give some advice please
      looking on ebay there are lots but i really dont want to buy a piece of african quarry or something from someones back yard!
      i realise there are many types and various areas of the world that produce but how can a novice tell that they are genuine and are there reliable/ reputable dealers or sources available?
      cheers 
    • By markarian
      Talk by Alex Pratt, BAA Meteor Section
      Free admission and visitors always welcome.
      Visual observation of meteors has been a popular pastime for amateur astronomers for many decades. Using the naked eye, sometimes assisted by film and digital cameras, observers have contributed to our knowledge of the annual meteor showers. However, interest in visual observations is dwindling because of the extent of light pollution across our towns and cities.
      Increasing numbers of observers are using video cameras, which can record meteors from suburban locations and in moonlight. Alex has observed meteors for many years, is on the Committee of the BAA Meteor Section and is a member of the IMO. He is co-founder of NEMETODE, a network of video meteor cameras in the British Isles.
      His talk outlines the developments from visual work, film and digital cameras, to video techniques and describes setting up a video meteor station. The talk includes results from meteor cameras operating across Scotland.
    • By ShrewView
      This is one of the images I took on Friday night whilst trying to catch a Perseid or two.
      Think there's at least 10 satellite trails on this 10 second sub which just goes to show how much stuff we've sent up there.
      Are there any good sources of info on how many satellites are launched each year or how many are up there now?

• By Maxrayne
      So I was out the other night collecting images for a star trails of Ursa Major over the top of my daughter's tree in the front garden. Out of curiosity more than anything, I thought I'd give time lapse a shot. The attached is low res as I'm still messing around with what codec etc works best. The original avi file was pushing 8gb for 7 seconds!! Managed to get it down to 22mb but can't find anything inbetween. I'll keep playing though.
      Original raw files cleaned up in Lightroom, then exported out as Jpg's into After Effects. The trails image used the same Jpg set but was put together in Star Stax. As pretty much first attempts at both, I'm happy.
      EXIF:
      Nikon D5300, 18mm @ f / 3.5, ISO 800, 162 x 25 seconds
      Millie's Tree & Ursa Major Timelapse Test.avi

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.