Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon 1100D or 100D for Astro imaging?

William Jones

Hi Guys

I want to do prime focus Astro imaging through my Skywatcher 200p Newtonian.

I have the option of buying either a Canon 1100D body or a Canon 100D body.

I realise that the 100D is 18 megapixel compared to the 1100D which is 12 megapixel.

In your opinion , which should give the better results?

thanks in anticipation 

Will

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Will,

Thanks for posting.

This may help you in your decision making-http://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-100D-vs-Canon-EOS-1100D

I have not used either model but do own a couple of Canon DSLR's so am conscious of features that are astro-useful and which not.

As Peter CPC says the 100D seems the better of the two; depending on how you intend to use the camera the better 'LiveView' screen may be of importance to you. It is slightly lighter in weight too and more modern manufacture.

I was intrigued at the data here-https://www.sensorgen.info/ as the 1100D has a much greater well depth and larger pixels. The 100D has the greater QE however. It would indeed be very interesting to hear from someone who has used both cameras in the field.

Best Regards,
Steve

Hi Will,

Been imaging with the 1100d for some time and very happy with it. Wife treated herself to a 100d so I thought it rude not to try out the higher ISO rating...... just to make sure it worked you understand!!!!.....  As already mentioned, 100d is lighter and the touchscreen back is useful for altering settings quickly. Two comparison photos are below. My image processing skills are fairly basic so images are only slightly tweaked from original RAW shots.

Can't go very far wrong with either body so cost may be final choice.

Les

0001 M51_compressed.jpg

IMG_9593 M51_compressed.jpg

Either will do very well indeed. However there may be a third option to throw into the mix.
If you are only looking to do short single exposures then this should not really apply too much but if you are looking to do longer exposures its worth considering a 600D.

The 600D has the same sensor as the 100D However, The 600D is a slightly larger body and from what I understand gives less thermal noise at longer exposures.
I have a 600D and have been happy with the results, take a look here for a good comparison of various Canon models side-by-side

Regards

Mark

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

You don't have to, I have 3 and 4 side by side

I did too when I discovered the bug as 4 wouldn't work without 3 present (I think it was an update I downloaded) however a few days later my hard drive died so I had to reinstall everything. That's when I found a version of 4 that works alone. 

Archived