Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion Nebula Cross Stitch completed!

steppenwolf

In an earlier thread I showed the progress of my wife's amazing cross stitch version of the Orion Nebula. Today the finished project was sent off for framing but before it went, I took a photograph for posterity. Here are some stats and the finished cross stitch:-

Stitched at the eyepiece

The Orion Nebula (M42) and Running Man Nebula (SH2-279)

This unusual image was hand stitched by Jane starting in June 2017 and is based on an image captured by me using an SXVF-M25C and 100mm TS 100Q APO Refractor mounted on a Mesu 200 Mount. I captured 18 subframes of 300 secs. plus 11 subframes of 100 secs. to produce the original image which has a resolution of 3032 x 2016 pixels and a 16bit colour palette. I then produced a set of 12 A4 size counted cross-stitch patterns for Jane to work from.

The hand-stitched version has a resolution of just 216 x 216 cross-stitches (18 cross-stitches to the inch) and a colour palette of 82 colours. The whole circular image comprises 36,644 cross-stitches (the white surround was left unstitched) making a total of 73,288 individual stitches!

M42_Stitch_Finished.thumb.png.d50532003469cf77ea3266ff30d810ec.png

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is rather special.  Excellent.  Liking the 'resolution' data...  So,  Cross  Stitch that what the C & S stand for in CMOS.

Well, what could come next.... ??..err...

image.png.748c174a167290e82acfa29f6adf9c91.png

You could make a bed spread out of that  !!

Amazing dedication and patience from Mrs Richards, and a truly breathtaking result. 

Many of us are impressed by those imagers who gather maybe 10-20 hours of data, and likely similar amounts of processing time for a single image, but this is in a league of its own. 

Warmest congratulations to Jane for an outstanding piece of work. 

Graeme 

Archived