Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_close-ups_winners.thumb.jpg.b5fb18580607a749e382266fe55a02a1.jpg

Wiu-Wiu

NGC 4631 - Whale and companion.

Another nice pair of galaxy's: 4631 and the smaller 4627.

The whale shows a bright patch on the wider side. 

NGC 4627 4631.jpg

• Like 11

A great sketch! Very nicely framed too.

Very nice sketch. Can I ask about your technique. Are you using pencil and then inverting a scan?

7 hours ago, JAO said:

Very nice sketch. Can I ask about your technique. Are you using pencil and then inverting a scan?

Thank you.

I used to work out every sketch at the eyepiece but when the paper gets wet, it wrinkles and smears out the details. So now I make a raw sketch in pencil, on which I make notes for later processing (for example the outlines of a galaxy, voids, details about brightness,...). i also number the stars by brightness. 

Then I copy the stars to a new sketch template (in a very fine pencil!) and draw in the details from the object. Usually I draw galaxy's with a variety of blending sticks. They are great for layering detail. 

When I'm done with the object, I use 4 black fineliners of various thickness (0,05 - 0,3 - 0,7 - 1) to dot the stars by magnitude. 

After that it's time to digitalise: scan in gray at 600dpi, clean up the dust bunnies with a clone stamp, invert, and play with levels and curves to get to the correct brightness on your screen. Under polluted skies I add a bit of red to the background, moonlit skies get some more blue. Bright stars get dotted with white, colored stars receive a little bit of color too. Add frame and info, and you're done :) 

• Like 2

Many thanks for sharing your technique, it is. very pragmatic and effective approach yielding lovely results.

• Like 1

Beautiful sketch love the detail you’ve captured, you must have dark skies to get this much detail good job 👍