Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What's your favourite bit?

Synchronicity

Hi All

I've been interested in all things space and science since I was a wee boy watching the Apollo moon landings but am now finally getting the time and money to get into astronomy.  I'm an engineer by profession - and by nature - and one thing I'm enjoying at the moment is learning the new skill of astrophotography. 
I've started with a point & shoot, bought a dslr, then mount, and am hoping to buy my first scope soon.  Every step I've taken there's been lots of skills to learn and problems to solve and for me that's part of the fun. 
After a few weeks I came up with the idea of using a scope and camera to control a mount and track the stars rather than rely on a mmount being accurate and aligned.  The fact that this had already been invented a long time ago didn't bother me at all!

That said, I can't explain the buzz I got last week when I saw a galaxy in one of my images for the first time.  It was the Hamburger Galaxy NGC 3628 and I'd been aiming for the Leo triplet but I was delighted anyway!  I'l not post the image because it's awfull and I don't yet have the skills to process it properly but that will come...

So, what is your favourite part of astronomy and has that chenged over time?

All the best

Michael

Hi there!

Just to clarify, you imaged NGC 3638 without a telescope (just with a camera lens)?. If so then that's Impressive!

I would say that my favourite part of astronomy definitely changes with time. It is normally motivated by me trying to find new uses for my old scopes. At first it was DSOs (not enough clear nights), then I bought a Maksutov telescope and got into solar (white light), then Lunar, then planetary imaging. Recently, I have just been observing with binoculars. I like to dip in and out of different types of imaging depending on the night and my mood.

Dan. :happy7:

Thanks Dan

It was NGC 3628, but I was impressed anyway!  I've attached a part of the image - there's no detail but it is there.  I wasn't sure it was a galaxy but I ran it through Astronomy.net and it confirmed NGC 3628

I used a Canon 7d with a 75- 300mm lens on a EQ5 synscan mount.

All the best

Michael

NGC 3638.png

My favorite bit is when I've got all my gear outside, set up and running. It's then I can sit and look at the stars whilst my scope collects those lovely photons to play with the following day because I don't have work in the morning :) *Oh look, a Blue moon*

50 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

To be honest I think that making astronomical equipment is my favourite bit, at least it's not so weather dependent.  :icon_biggrin:

200 telescopes. One for each observing session over the next 20 years :)

3 hours ago, Synchronicity said:

image because it's awfull and I don't yet have the skills to process it properly but that will come...

Au contrair ! I like it, glad you posted. It is all about finding out and learning, what's the phrase something like "It's the journey that counts not the destination " ?

I like it when I am trying things out and find something I was not expecting, like when I was trying out my dslr with 135mm lens on Regulus and practicing stacking,,  when I discovered I had imaged asteroid 51 Nemausa close by :)

I love serendipity !

Eyepieces! I like all the different magnifications and fields of view offered, depending on what I am looking at. 

Longer FL scopes let me compare cheaper models, shorter FL scopes sort the gems from the toys. 

Unexpected surprises, both good & bad are not uncommon. 

The favourite part of astronomy is highlighted each time that I am able to become transported to a dark sky destination and privileged to encounter a clear sky. The occurrence is infrequent, yet the effort required to get there melts away, replaced with an animated feeling of living in the present moment, with much anticipated exploring / discovery ahead. I feel that I have evolved as a visual astronomer and enjoy planning new possibilities to gain access to yet darker sky locations, that will determine the potential of my equipment.

My favorite part is getting to share the experience with other people. I enjoy showing new people amazing things that they've never seen before and hearing and seeing their reactions. I enjoy getting to talk to my fellow club members about the equipment and the various facets of astronomy and astrophotography.

Wow, which bit? :D

Heading into the garden, replete with kit, after the freshly collimated scope has been set up to a deepening twilight sky, when that 'clear sky' smell hits your nostrils...(have been known to do a few fistpumps and bear a manic grin after all these years :D )

Arriving at a dark, peaceful and remote site, not a soul to be seen and the dazzle of a thousand suns hits you as you get out of the car...a truly dark sky is something to behold.

Being in the zone when you are finding and studying target after target...

Building up a skymap in your mind so that you can be a human goto for someone else and share with them the treasures of the skies...their reaction is always a massive boost!

Archived