Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

camera choice

hi all

I was looking to pick up a new camera for the family photos. I was also looking to see if I can get one that would also be useable with a skywatcher 1145p,

if anyone has any suggestions please let me know, budget is about €500

thanks

Ger

I bought a 200D last year and it's much better than my old 450D, it's slightly smaller and lighter, takes very good pictures and it is easy to use, as it guides you through selecting the best settings. Not sure how much they are in Ireland but they are less than £500 in the UK.

1 hour ago, MarsG76 said:

See if you can get your hands on a Cano 60Da... best for both worlds, astro and family photos.... with a adapter you can attach it to you scope with out problem.

Hi Ger,

One of the best things to do is take a look at what people have been able to achieve with each camera, somewhere like astrobin, where you can search for images with each individual piece of equipment. In that vein, I would take a look at what MarsG76 (who commented above) has been able to achieve with the Canon 60Da. Pretty impressive stuff.

I have a Nikon D750, which I like a lot (and I use for work), but I'd still probably recommend the Canon;

1) More people use them for astrophotography so they're better supported by software

2) More people use them so there's a bigger knowledge base

3) They have a great zoomed video mode which works well for planetary and lunar stuff. This is accessible with the wonderful BackyardEOS software package.

Definitely have a look at what people have achieved with each one - if for no other reason than to inspire you!

Very best wishes,

Barry

6 minutes ago, EyeGuy said:

Hi Ger,

One of the best things to do is take a look at what people have been able to achieve with each camera, somewhere like astrobin, where you can search for images with each individual piece of equipment. In that vein, I would take a look at what MarsG76 (who commented above) has been able to achieve with the Canon 60Da. Pretty impressive stuff.

I have a Nikon D750, which I like a lot (and I use for work), but I'd still probably recommend the Canon;

1) More people use them for astrophotography so they're better supported by software

2) More people use them so there's a bigger knowledge base

3) They have a great zoomed video mode which works well for planetary and lunar stuff. This is accessible with the wonderful BackyardEOS software package.

Definitely have a look at what people have achieved with each one - if for no other reason than to inspire you!

Very best wishes,

Barry

thanks Barry for the above, much appreciated

A DSLR isn't likely to come to prime focus with a SkyHawk-1145. A 2x barlow lens would help with focus, but then the focal length would be 1000mm - a bit much if used with a lighter mount and exposures would be X4.

I've recently obtained the same spec OTA (Konus make) and, in order to image with my DSLR, plan to try moving the mirror up the tube using long screws to start with, shortening the tube if screws aren't satisfactory.

As said above its not the best scope specification to be considering astrophotography unless you wish to concentrate on lunar photography in which case look for the DSLR that has the best video capability these days both in terms of frame rate and true video crop mode.  I am out of touch with up to date Canons but the 60Da mentioned above has the required modes.

Archived