SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Imaging Challenge #13 - Lunar Close-ups - Now Closed!

The theme for the thirteenth challenge - April 2018 - is Lunar Close-ups!

Start Date: 1st April 2018
End Date: 30th June 2018

Rules: This challenge is all about lunar closeups - we want to see lots of high magnification lunar details. Images, videos and sketches all welcome. Interesting compositions always get the judges attention! :)

Prize: £100 of FLO gift vouchers to buy some goodies with! Kindly provided by our sponsors FLO :) and a virtual trophy for your signature.

--

RULES

All data must be captured and processed by you (no collaborative entries). 
Data must be captured during the challenge start & end dates. 
Multiple entries are allowed but please start a new topic for each entry. 
Multiple submissions of the same image, processed differently, will not be accepted.

--

To enter please start a new topic with your image in the ‘Imaging Challenge #13 forum (each challenge will have it’s own). Please post as much information as possible - when it was taken, how it was captured and processed, etc. The info won't necessarily be used for judging but will help fellow SGLers looking to learn and improve their knowledge and technique.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/04/2018 at 02:11, astroavani said:

A doubt!
Before April 1st, images are not accepted in the challenge?
Only those that are made after that date?
Best regards
Avani Soares

You are correct Avani.  Images captured, produced or submitted before April 1st. will not be accepted by the judges of the Challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok please let me know if I did this right.  Taken May 18 2018 in Moncton New Brunswick Canada Northern hemisphere.  Time was about 08:00 pm (20:00 evening).  T-adapter with Nikon DSLR D3200 with 26 mm Q series Meade ep.  Settings all on automatic.  Afocal technique.  Scope used Meade LB12 with home made shroud.  Thanks.  :)

Moon star contest.jpg

Edited by Chris33benoit

8 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Just a quick question: Do my mammoth mosaics count as lunar close-ups (they have a resolution on the moon of about 400m per pixel), or do they have to be detail shots of a region?

Thinking of previous competitions, and the potential upset of excluding entries on unclear grounds, I think that the competitions should be inclusive. MY specific view is that people should be able to enter whatever they think fits the criteria and let the judges decide what is eligible or not when they are judging.

That way no-one is barred from having a go (which is surely the point) but if they are seen to have 'bent the rules' they will be marked down and won't win, without any bad blood or argument.

My other view is that people who win too many times should be promoted to judges and rendered ineligible ?  

Obviously I'm not a judge/moderator and their view may be at odds with mine.

I don’t know of any other competitions that don’t have rules. I was heartbroken when I was disqualified after winning the under 8 girls egg and spoon race at my children’s sports day but am recovering after intensive counseling to explain it to me..... ;);) 

Come on chaps, it’s not that hard. Enter with the right kit, with an image of the subject taken in the entry period, and create a new thread for each image. Simples!

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Stu said:

I don’t know of any other competitions that don’t have rules. I was heartbroken when I was disqualified after winning the under 8 girls egg and spoon race at my children’s sports day but am recovering after intensive counseling to explain it to me..... ;);) 

Come on chaps, it’s not that hard. Enter with the right kit, with an image of the subject taken in the entry period, and create a new thread for each image. Simples!

I agree 100% believe it or not.

But the rules should be as set out in the original announcement (unless there is a genuine error), it's when people start asking for clarifications and exceptions that things seem to deteriorate.

Easily solved by saying, "the requirements for entries are as set out in the first post, if you think your work meets them, go ahead and enter".

I think this would be in the spirit of a 'challenge' that just happens to have prizes/recognition for outstanding entries, rather than a strict competition.

While I like seeing the winners, I enjoy both attempting the challenges and looking at the diversity of entries as well; I don't think anyone really loses if an entry is disqualified on a technicality.

My two absolute exceptions would be entries outside the date range, as all entries should be responses to the challenge, and that they shoudl be the work of the entrant. Ironically this are the two things the judges have to take on trust!

18 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I agree 100% believe it or not.

But the rules should be as set out in the original announcement (unless there is a genuine error), it's when people start asking for clarifications and exceptions that things seem to deteriorate.

Easily solved by saying, "the requirements for entries are as set out in the first post, if you think your work meets them, go ahead and enter".

I think this would be in the spirit of a 'challenge' that just happens to have prizes/recognition for outstanding entries, rather than a strict competition.

While I like seeing the winners, I enjoy both attempting the challenges and looking at the diversity of entries as well; I don't think anyone really loses if an entry is disqualified on a technicality.

My two absolute exceptions would be entries outside the date range, as all entries should be responses to the challenge, and that they shoudl be the work of the entrant. Ironically this are the two things the judges have to take on trust!

Are you just saying that all entries should be accepted and that behind the scenes a judgement is made about whether they meet the criteria or not? I have no major problem with that. The issues come with repeated questioning of the rules which, given the amount of effort put in by admin to put this competition together, and by mods to judge it, just makes people question if it is worth it.

If you are ok with no one questioning rules, entering the competition if you think you meet them and the judges making their decision then I don’t see that’s a problem.

Sounds like we both think along the same lines :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

If you are ok with no one questioning rules, entering the competition if you think you meet them and the judges making their decision then I don’t see that’s a problem. 

That's exactly what I mean, I think previous discussion (which I admit I got a bit het up about)  was counter-productive.

• Like 1

I’m going to lock this thread now, please, as per the rules, start a new thread for each image you want to enter :) 

Any on here won’t be considered I’m afraid.

• Like 1

• Stu locked this topic