SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Welcome to DeepSkyStacker 4.1.0

perdrix

I'm very pleased to announce that we've just released DSS 4.1.0.  If you just want to grab zip files of the installers you can get them from:

https://github.com/LucCoiffier/DSS/releases/download/4.1.0-Release/DeepSkyStacker64Installer.zip
https://github.com/LucCoiffier/DSS/releases/download/4.1.0-Release/DeepSkyStackerInstaller.zip

Otherwise here's some more information.

This version of DeepskyStacker is supported on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 and completely supersedes DeepSkyStacker 3.3.2, 3.3.4 and 3.3.6.

We now provide DeepSkyStacker and the other programs as both 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) builds based upon the latest version of dcraw. There are separate installers for the 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

Installing the 32-bit build will remove earlier versions of DeepSkyStacker (3.3.2 and upward). If you are running an earlier version than 3.3.2, please remove it manually.

You can install both the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions on 64-bit versions of Windows without problems.

PLEASE NOTE: If anyone who installs this gets: "This program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing" when they try to open the programs, the solution is to install:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2999226/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows
for your specific version of Windows.

This problem should only affect users of Vista / Win7 / Win 8.x who are behind on WindowsUpdates, or are running an offline system and opting out of WindowsUpdates.

Enjoy,
Luc Coiffier, Tony Cook, David C. Partridge

We've fixed a number of problems since 4.1.0 beta 1:

1. Fixed a problem when using drizzle and Intersection mode which resulted in an output image that was 4x or 9x too large with the image in the upper left corner.

2. Worked around a problem with incorrect display of the left panel on high resolution monitors. (Set the DPI Aware flag in the application manifest to No).

3. Changed our build of libtiff so that we use Unix style rather than Win32 style I/O as the Win32 code is wrong in x64 mode (known problem with libtiff).

4. A number of other size_t/DWORD/long issues in the code were fixed for the 64 bit build (to ensure computed values were indeed 64 bit sized).

5. Small change to improve the responsiveness of the post-processing screen (faster display of the final image).

If you wish to download the installers as .exe files or download the source code, you can go to:

https://github.com/LucCoiffier/DSS/releases

Clear Skies
David Partridge

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a heads-up that this new version doesn't open Fuji RAF files, as before. This isn't unexpected given that the Fujis don't use a conventional Bayer filter array, but I thought I'd try anyway. The program doesn't object to the files, it's just that they result in a totally black frame.

Ian

I've logged this an issue - our next development goal is to migrate from dcraw to libraw for handling raw files,  so there may be hope.

If you can make a few subs available for testing that would be very useful.

David

3 hours ago, almcl said:

AVIRA anti virus doesn't like the 64 bit installer .exe file:

Other AV packages reacted the same because they've never seen it before - AVG for one had it submitted and it was pronounced clean by them.  If you are concerned, do feel free to submit it for evaluation, bit I'm pretty sure it is virus free.

David

49 minutes ago, perdrix said:

Other AV packages reacted the same because they've never seen it before - AVG for one had it submitted and it was pronounced clean by them.  If you are concerned, do feel free to submit it for evaluation, bit I'm pretty sure it is virus free.

David

Sophos didn't complain.

Ian

2 hours ago, perdrix said:

do feel free to submit it for evaluation, bit I'm pretty sure it is virus free.

Thanks, David.  I've submitted it to Avira as a suspected false positive.  Strangely, I had no difficulty with the beta, that's running just fine.

I've submitted it to Avira as a suspected false positive.  Strangely, I had no difficulty with the beta, that's running just fine.

What it means is by bad luck a sequence of bytes in the newer exe image happens to match one of the virus/adware/whatever signatures they have on file. Its a typical play safe quick check false positive.

Avira report the file is clean:

The analysis you requested is now complete:  
File Result 
DeepSkyStacker64Installer.exe Clean 

For more information regarding our detections please visit the Avira Virus Lab page.  
Stay safe,
Your Avira Virus Lab team  

Unfortunately even with this morning's update, it is still blocking installation :-(

Unfortunately even with this morning's update, it is still blocking installation :-(

... and you cant elect to ignore the block?

My virus checker lets me ignore a block - maybe yours does to 

On 09/04/2018 at 21:01, perdrix said:

Just an FYI.

I have just successfully installed both versions on Windows 10. No gripes from AVG. 
Thanks guys and gals at DSS. :thumbsup:

@perdrix this is great news, especially the 64-bit version. Thanks for making this software freely available.

May I make two small suggestions?

The curves adjustment window is quite small, this makes small adjustments with the mouse, especially aligning the RGB histograms, difficult . Would it be possible to make the controller window two or three times as wide - there is plenty of room for this!

The second one is, could you add to the help pages an explanation what each of the control points on the histogram panel actually does?

Again, many thanks - without DSS my astrophotography would be struggling even more!

image.thumb.png.a1a54e7949f94e0f5a8bf36f3f3fa649.png

I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm getting very different results from my stacks in v4.1.0 than I was in v3.3.4. The ones I'm getting out of 4.1.0 seem to have a much more reddish hue to them even though I'm using the exact same settings. This is leaving ALL my stars with a red hue to them rather than some having their natural blue-white which is making correction very difficult. Anyone else noting this?

31 minutes ago, Buzzard75 said:

very different results from my stacks in v4.1.0 than I was in v3.3.4

Are you sure you've not accidentally changed the White Balance settings in the Raw/DDP settings?

Is it possible you are now stacking with "Per Channel Background Calibration", when before you were using "RGB Channels Calibration"?

Per Channel Calibration will give you a much redder image (typically) than will "Per Channel ..."

Please can you let us know what camera you are using.

Thanks, David

21 minutes ago, perdrix said:

Are you sure you've not accidentally changed the White Balance settings in the Raw/DDP settings?

Is it possible you are now stacking with "Per Channel Background Calibration", when before you were using "RGB Channels Calibration"?

Per Channel Calibration will give you a much redder image (typically) than will "Per Channel ..."

Please can you let us know what camera you are using.

Thanks, David

Camera is an unmodded Canon 750D. White balance setting is the same. Neither box for Auto or Camera White Balance is checked since I use Photoshop for editing. I used Per Channel Background Calibration in both 4.1.0 and 3.3.4. As I said, all my settings are identical so even if Background gives a redder result than RGB Calibration, I don't understand why the results would be any different. I'll try and rerun it with RGB though and see if it helps.

Reran it in both 3.3.4 and 4.1.0 with RGB Background and still got slightly different results. They were however more alike than when running Per Channel. The RGB curves were also more aligned. They were slightly skewed in 4.1.0 with a higher red and lower blue, but they were dead on top of each other in 3.3.4. It just appears that 4.1.0 still gives higher red levels than 3.3.4. Running in RGB Background Calibration certainly helps though.

DSS is not handling my Win7 display setting. For DSS to display correctly I need to select "Smaller" (in Control Panel) , if I use "Medium" (preferred for my eyes in other applications, bit of a hassle to have to reset and reboot everytime to run DSS ! :) )  then the histogram plot overlaps and obscures some of the slider ranges,  and (not so important) the Reset button. There is space to move the histo plot to the right (into empty space) but I cannot see how to do that ?

Clipboard03b.thumb.jpg.e660f15652baad3e19d91f22ec854e53.jpg

CPsize04b.jpg.1dd06d17aaf418f707aeae51890ae386.jpg

dss03.jpg.c861c691461991a9b96736f611775afd.jpg

34 minutes ago, Redscouse said:

Using the 32 bit version of the new software, it crashed repeatedly.

Without further information, I can't determine why that happened.  What size of image were you trying to stack (i.e. what camera).  Were you using Drizzle?  If so the odds are you just ran out of memory.  It's really very hard to handle that condition.

On the subject of Drizzle - there is really very little point using Drizzle except on undersampled images - if you have well oversampled stars you are just wasting time and processing resources if you enable Drizzle.

David

Testing 4.1.0 on the images I have just taken.

Windows 10 64 bit.

I have found 4.1.0 is not saving the lights files properly into the file list.

I created a stack from the data on the 19th using 4.1.0. I saved the file list.

I loaded the file list today. It looked OK showing 21 lights.

I added a further 60+ lights, all looked OK and registered all checked images.

On restack I noticed that my total time was only 32 minutes I expected more.

Loading 3.4.4 and the same saved list from the 19th and adding my new lights gave me 85 lights and 42 minutes on restack time.

Loading the original file list from the 19th into 4.1.0 and making no changes and select restack no files found to restack error. Yet the files are visually listed in the file area well the calibration files are but not the lights.

Retesting now to rule out user error.

I hope this helps.

Retesting and it was down to user error. Sorry for any wasted time.

1 hour ago, perdrix said:

Without further information, I can't determine why that happened.  What size of image were you trying to stack (i.e. what camera).  Were you using Drizzle?  If so the odds are you just ran out of memory.  It's really very hard to handle that condition.

On the subject of Drizzle - there is really very little point using Drizzle except on undersampled images - if you have well oversampled stars you are just wasting time and processing resources if you enable Drizzle.

David

Hi,

Forgive my ignorance, as a newbie i'm not sure what drizzle is/does. I never changed any of the default settings.

Below is a screen shot of 1 of the RAW properties. I had 24x subs, 6 of which were darks.
If you need anymore info please let me know. 
Capture1.PNG.096d4c161c4140a4c9ce65ff2b82b578.PNG

As a side note, I did some more imaging last night, I will try these in the 32 bit version to double check I wasn't being a dummy and missed anything. :) 

Archived