SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Main Sequence Software

I get stuck in download when I'm taking exposures in SGP. I doesn't make any difference if I'm looping or taking a single shot. Then SGP stops working. My imaging camera is an Atik414 and I run the Ascom 6 platform for both cameras, my filter wheel and my HEQ5 mount. I'm now also experiencing problem with PHD2 and my QHY5-ll, my guide camera, is also failing on me.  I suspect usb cabling issues and so I don't want to start re-installing drivers if this is the case. Also, I'm a bit weak on IT skills. I run the equipment usb cables to a 7 port USB 3 Anker powered hub then the 70cm hub cable is connected to a 1m extension cable that goes to my usb 3 laptop port. I have replaced the extension cable but the problem still occurs. I don't know if this is a software issue, maybe with ascom,  equipment with failing usb's or is a 7 port hub to much. Any advice......

Hi Peter

I have two usb3 ports on the laptop and four devices, with a fifth coming soon, to attach so I could either run one device to the empty port or or I have an unpowered 4 port hub I could use and take a couple like the filter wheel and QHY5-ll through it to reduce the load on the Anker. Attached on their own,I thought I may try either the mount or the Atik camera as being the most power hungry, the Atik has a cooler. The reason I haven't tried it yet is that I read in Main Sequence forum of somebody that had tried this without success. But he may have had other issues.

David

Hi David,

I have had a similar issue with my Atik 460 freezing on download in SGPro. I then changed to MaximDL and had the same issue, so it's not an SGPro problem. I suspect it's a usb issue as Peter as pointed out and yes use all your usb ports on your compuer to lessen the usb traffic to each port. I would steer clear of unpowered usb hubs and use good quality hubs. I use Startech 12v powered hubs, industrial quality and built to last. Lastly check all your usb leads and I have had to replace at least three leads over the last year.

Steve

Hi Steve

Thats good to know about SGPro. I think you may be right and I will invest in another powered hub. I have been using Anker hubs and Ugreen cables but I know usb cables are always a bit suspect after a while. I may reduce the load and test it without the filter wheel as well as using the other laptop port. I'll have a look at Startech, thanks. I did think about investing in a mini computer and attaching it to the mount but thats long term at the moment.

Thanks

David

The two things that really chew through the data are the guide camera and the Atik, so I give them each there own dedicated cable and USB port on my laptop and then feed everything else via the hub, that being the mount, FW, focuser, polemaster and when needed the game pad.

I also only use Chromo USB 2.0 & 3.0 cables from here: - https://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters-c1/usb-c449/usb-2-0-c450/cromo-range-t455 and https://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters-c1/usb-c449/usb-3-0-c451/cromo-range-t455

I have always been careful about the quality of cables and for that reason have very little connection problems.

HTH

Thanks John.

Tried last night with each camera in a dedicated laptop port but still had the same problems. It may be I had to use extensions to the usbs and they may have been just a little too long. I have shorter cables on the way which from memory are Ugreen but I like the look of the Chromo range. My laptop has three ports so put the filter wheel, mount into the powered hub.

Has anybody any thoughts about using microcomputers attached to the scope?

David

I gave up trying to use USB 3 with my Atik 460, EFW2 and Lodestar. I was plagued with intermittent problems, image downloads locking up SGP, filter wheel and guide camera dropping. 

I moved everything to a powered USB 2 hub connected to a USB 2 port on my laptop and haven't had a single issue for about four months. Before it was very rare to get through a night without lockups, equipment drop outs etc.

On 09/04/2018 at 19:57, David Crane said:

Thanks John.

Tried last night with each camera in a dedicated laptop port but still had the same problems. It may be I had to use extensions to the usbs and they may have been just a little too long. I have shorter cables on the way which from memory are Ugreen but I like the look of the Chromo range. My laptop has three ports so put the filter wheel, mount into the powered hub.

Has anybody any thoughts about using microcomputers attached to the scope?

David

I have to say that I am moving as far away from mini (small) PC's as possible and USB hubs too. I've got a desktop with 12 USB's ....... So far it has been utterly reliable. What I am finding less so these days is SGP. I am seriously having a think about jumping to Hyperion PRISM software. I recommend Lindy Cromo cables.... I have them all in my dual rig now after numerous cable failures.

Thanks for replying to this issue.

My power supply to the Atik is 3 amps so it should be fine. I was thinking of extending the cable from the exit (3 amp) side just to sit the transformer on the ground and reduce the weight but now I'm concerned now that the extra length may reduce the voltage.

Regarding returning to all usb 2's. My three ports on the laptop are all usb 3 and I don't have a powered usb 2 hub at the moment but I may try an un-powered one I have.

Hi Sara. Lovely to hear from you. I agree with you about SGP but I think it is more my incompetence and inexperience than the program. But it does seem its always the camera gets stuck in download that kicks in others problems. I would love a permanent setup and dark skies. but its not possible where we are so I make the most of it.

David

Archived