Space station by Alioth

10 hours ago, groberts said:

Very good, how do you do that? :icon_scratch:

I followed ISS's path in Stellarium earlier in the day to see if it crossed or came close to any stars (plug in your camera and scope settings in Stellarium so you know size of your ROI.  Just zoom in and follow ISS along entire path across sky in Stellarium for the evening to see if it comes close to a star or familiar object your mount can easily find once its aligned.  It showed ISS would be close to Alioth around 8:38 cst and If I centered on Alioth the ISS would cut across a corner of the frame but if I moved Alioth to the bottom left corner of cameras live view, then ISS would cut across closer to middle of frame. 

Stellarium is pretty accurate when it comes to tracking the ISS and the times it passes objects.  So I set up 30 min before with my mount tracking Alioth (I moved star to bottom left corner of camera frame), then just sit back and enjoy view.  Once ISS came close to Alioth, I held down shutter on camera remote and click click click click until it passes.  I watched it pass live on screen which is always exciting because you know you caught it.  The one mistake I made is I was shooting at 1/1250 sec / iso 1600, should've been closer to 1/1600 sec iso 1600.  As you can see there is a little motion blur going on.

You should try it, fun.

Archived