Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Carina Nebula at 1280mm

MarsG76

Hi All,

This is the photo of the Carina Nebula taken using a 8" SCT at F6.3 (1280mm focal length) with a Astro modded Canon 40D, ~59x39 arc-minutes FOV, to try and verify whether I spotted a supernova.

During a imaging session of a closeup of Eta Carina which I started at the beginning of March, one SII sub (9th March) had an extra star on it, only lasted for a few minutes at most and vanished.

After eliminating noise and/or a reflection, I suspected it to be either a GRB, CR or perhaps a Shock Breakout.

In between the meridian flip of imaging another object, I slewed the scope toward the Carina Nebula to see is the point of light reappeared... if it was a SB than perhaps there was a chance that a  supernova would have happened by now, but no such luck. I should get a T-Shirt made that says "I was looking for a Supernova, but got this lousy photo instead." :-D

Clear Skies.

MG

NGC3372 f6 SN Frame Final.jpg

30 minutes ago, mikeyj1 said:

Coincidentally close and in the same area of the sky two weeks apart... that link happened 2 weeks later. Have a look at the link above to the post about it.

I'm guessing that to think that my point of light in the sub was some kind of reflection of the nova that happened two weeks later that far out of the FOV would be a stretch.

Attached is a crop of where my light point was...

IMG_2309.JPG

it's still a cracking image from you though :)

and sooo close to the big one 

I travelled from Canberra to Melbourne via Orbost last time I was in Aus and saw the Carina under the blackest of skies, fantastic sight along with 47 tucanae and LMC/SMC.  Love the southern hemisphere sky :headbang:

cheers

Mike

47 minutes ago, mikeyj1 said:

it's still a cracking image from you though :)

and sooo close to the big one 

I travelled from Canberra to Melbourne via Orbost last time I was in Aus and saw the Carina under the blackest of skies, fantastic sight along with 47 tucanae and LMC/SMC.  Love the southern hemisphere sky :headbang:

cheers

Mike

I hope you saw those objects through a telescope... The Carina, 47Tuc, The tarantula nebula, omega Centauri and the jewel box clusters are some objects where under a dark sky and a half decent scope are sights that makes it hard to pull your eye off the eyepiece.

46 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

I hope you saw those objects through a telescope...

I had the ST80 and my Nikon on the Star Ad., so yes was fantastic :)  

It made me go out and get the WO61 ready for the next time ;-)

Archived