Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Granada Hills California

Andremz1

Hello All, I am a newbie and very pleased to have found this site. I received a Celestron NexStar 8se as my Christmas gift and I am eager to learn everything about planets, galaxies, and beyond. Thanks in advance for all your input and feedback for my upcoming questions. :) 

24 minutes ago, L8-Nite said:

Welcome from the other side of the world ! 

I spent part of my youth in Granada hills long ago.  Is the " Terrible Herbst  " gas station still in business ?

Thank you for your response. I don't think "Terrible Herbst" gas station is around anymore since I don't recall seeing it around my neighborhood. 

2 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Hi and welcome. I have just about the exact same scope, a Celestron C8, plus a 8SE goto mount to use it with (along with a few others too, see my signature). So if you have any questions feel free to ask. Enjoy the site! :) 

Thank you for your response. I still need to learn all these astro terminology and all different equipment's name. This is a complete new world for me.

As a matter of fact I have a question.  I bought a Canon T6i several weeks ago and took some moon photos couple of days ago using 2x barlow and my camera in manual mode with low ISO (800 maybe) and 1/125 shutter speed. Took me almost 20 tries before I figured out how to get the photos focused with correct exposure. The thing that I start noticing was a certain glare/light in the middle of the photos. Can anyone tell me what that is and how to correct that? See attached photos. Thank you so much.

Image-2.JPG.299b7c90df40c6c8521a74033e680e0c.jpg.e0815574e99b23fd4c81c96a23cd3af8.jpg

Image-1.JPG.d9844c3ee1104fee218b5a2b30f852d4.jpg.93782ca69394980eae50fc8d4ffafa1f.jpg

hi and welcome im new to the hobby too get yourself a copy of the book 'turn left at orion' and get outside with your scope the two best pieces of advice ive had so far

On 6-4-2018 at 00:52, Andremz1 said:

Thank you for your response. I still need to learn all these astro terminology and all different equipment's name. This is a complete new world for me.

Hi there and welcome.

Yes we all went through that and I am still in the process?.

But anyway, have fun and clear skies. Those are the  2 most importent ingredients for the hobby. The terminology will follow.

On 4/5/2018 at 23:50, PeterCPC said:

Hello and welcome. Your image is a good start but it is slightly out of focus. Also check the collimation of your scope.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I will check it out.

Welcome to this great site, everyone is very helpful and courteous as well. Same state but different ends of sorts.
Rainy the last few days : - (

Here is a book that helps a great deal, you can find it easily in the U.S., a must for beginners. Enjoy!

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/nightwatch-a-practical-guide-to-viewing-the-universe_terence-dickinson/263040/?mkwid=sDCEkFCbl|dc&pcrid=70112861832&pkw=&pmt=&plc=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4Y-oo9uo2gIVCBxpCh38jgdvEAYYASABEgK2IPD_BwE#isbn=155407147X&idiq=4456552

• 2 months later...
On 07/04/2018 at 10:23, Andremz1 said:

Thanks Peter. I will check it out.

Hi Peter,

Sorry for the late response. I checked the collimation and it is right on. I think it is from the 2x Barlow in combination with my DSLR (canon 6xi). I don't know why and it drives me nuts? Moon pics without the Barlow are just fine.

Thanks for you time and feedback.

Andre

Archived