Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

5 April - Sunny Ha session at last (and an active region to boot!)

alanjgreen

Finally a sunny morning in Cumbria (and an active region to boot!)

I setup the LS60 double stack and tuned into the sun using my "M90 rotator" (it was worthwhile as a whole host of "extra" filaments were uncovered in the 9-12 oclock quarter :) )

zz1zz.jpg.d08eca4beeaa65ece1b63f293da24d9b.jpg

I then had a good 30 minute session using pairs of 24mm Panoptic and 18.2 DeLite with the MarkV binoviewer and x1.7 GPC. It was a bit chilly so I needed my coat :( 

Observations...

Prominences - two main sections of proms. 3 separate proms around 10 o'clock. Another decent prom at 5 o'clock

Filaments - The best filament was down at 5'o clock and it is a wide long filament that should make the rim tomorrow. There was three decent size filaments in the 9-12 o'clock quarter and a long line of filaments (5 or 6 joined together) down at 6'o clock.

Active regions - One, central with a nice "lizard" shape made by the filaments. At least 5 areas of plage within. Only saw one "brightening" in my 30 minutes.

Plage - 3 or 4 other small plage areas in the 9-12 o'clock region.

Other thoughts...

First decent session with the DeLite's. They offer slightly more (unwanted) magnification over the 19mm Panoptics that they replaced but I was able to tune and focus a nice sharp image. I could see and notice the field stop (but then they are only 62 degree). The sliding eye guard was simple to set at the optimum position and they were comfortable to use. The extra magnification/reduced fov made the view in Pan24s seem very "low power" but I probably still prefer the pan24 if I had to choose! What I need is a 20-21mm DeLite then my solar set would be complete :)

After a barren spell of Solar viewing since October, its nice to be "back on the bus" the AR and the big filament are worth a look (if you get the chance) ...

Clear Skies, Alan

Lucky you! today i had a peek and save for a small prom not much is going on, is the sun entering a period of "Grand Solar Minimun"? gee i wonder how long this will last, i wouldn't doubt it as winter here has been unusually long so far haha!

Our star must be putting out less energy, i hope it kicks into high gear soon, haven't seen a sunspot in weeks which indicates a lowered energy output. WE WANT SUNSPOTS!!! that is a smashing setup you have there BTW,

double stack with binoviewer, i often wondered about bino viewers for solar, id like to ask if you'd ever go back to mono viewing once you've seen bino? i have a binoviewer within my grasp and felt like pulling the trigger.

Also wonder if your double stack filter is a 60mm or a 50?

Archived