SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The most expensive binoculars I've seen

Paz

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, IanC11 said:

By the looks of everything else around them I would say their a pair of Naval binoculars.

I should have said these were in an antique shop, my guess is they are expensive  through being rare and/or collectible. They look old style-wise but I guess have been somehow refurbished or polished up.

All very amusing but you could buy a TEC 180 new for 19000 US dollars.

Ignoring all else, let's talk light grasp. Two 120s have a light collecting area of 22916.4 square mm. A TEC 180 trounces this with a light collecting area of 25449.6 square mm. Yes, Pi r squared can be counter intuitive!

And then you ask yourself how many magnitudes you lose outside by closing one eye. Each to his or her own but 'not many' in my case.

The admirable Mr Wetherell, already mentioned in this thread, has the inestimable good fortune to own a TEC200 mm lens so my friendly fairy tells me he may not be in the market for these binoculars.

Olly

Archived