Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

FLO

William Optics Zenithstar ZS70 2012

Hi. I can't find any spec for this scope anywhere. Do you have a link?

1 hour ago, TSRobot said:

Hi. I can't find any spec for this scope anywhere. Do you have a link?

The William Optics Zenithstar 70 ED features an f/6 doublet objective with a Japanese Ohara FPL51 ED element, a new rotatable R&P focuser with aluminum knob protection cover, retractable dew-shield and a Vixen-style dovetail base plate.

Can be used at f4.8 when used with an optional 0.8x Focal Reducer.  

• Thanks 1

Oops. After much consideration.....just bought it! Will have to sort out a finder. And now i have 2 telescopes to sell to cover the purchase and still keep things cordial with my lovely better half :happy7:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TSRobot said:

Oops. After much consideration.....just bought it! Will have to sort out a finder. And now i have 2 telescopes to sell to cover the purchase and still keep things cordial with my lovely better half :happy7:

Atleast my temptation is gone now 

• Thanks 1

The ZS70 was about £370 new , the TS scope is the ZS71, newer version.

£250 is a nice price .

Wishing you some clear skies to try it out .

• Thanks 1

I have this zs70 now and I love it. The only problem is finding a red dot finder to fit it. It has an m10 fine threaded bolt hole on the focuser, but nothing seems to fit it. The rigel base is too wide. The baader base is all m5 threaded. Rather not use the universal adapter aka epoxy on powder coat paint. Flummoxed :help:

43 minutes ago, TSRobot said:

I have this zs70 now and I love it. The only problem is finding a red dot finder to fit it. It has an m10 fine threaded bolt hole on the focuser, but nothing seems to fit it. The rigel base is too wide. The baader base is all m5 threaded. Rather not use the universal adapter aka epoxy on powder coat paint. Flummoxed :help:

Presumably the WO RDF will fit on it somewhere, I've got WO110FLT, WO Star71 and WO Megrez71 and the same WO RDF fixes to all of them, don't see why the ZS70 should be any different.

Other identical versions are available

Dave

http://williamoptics.com/best-buy-red-dot-finder-kit

Edited by Davey-T

Thank you. The WO red dot finder fits to M5 or M6 pre drilled threaded holes. My ZS70 has only one M10 hole. I'm a bit stuck.

3 hours ago, TSRobot said:

Thank you. The WO red dot finder fits to M5 or M6 pre drilled threaded holes. My ZS70 has only one M10 hole. I'm a bit stuck.

Sounds a damn big hole for a finder, can you post a picture ?

Dave

17 minutes ago, knobby said:

Looks like the Williams Optics finder for less ££££ which is good! I've emailed Williams Optics to ask for their advice and if they have nothing reasonable to offer i'll be epoxying something on. I've fitted my Rigel for now, maybe it'll do. I like the Rigel a lot but the base is huge on the ZS70 and might not stay on too well. 

11 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Sounds a damn big hole for a finder, can you post a picture ?

Dave

Here's pictures. The Rigel just fell off as predicted ?

It's a curious hole with a very fine thread and brass post at the bottom. Almost looks like a grease nipple, but that would be ridiculous!

IMG_20180407_111946.jpg

IMG_20180407_112016.jpg

IMG_20180407_112050.jpg

IMG_20180407_112057.jpg

That's the focuser tensioner it presses on a PTFE strip, needs to be tightened up to remove flop in the focuser.

Dave

• Thanks 1

You can ask WO for advice, they're usually pretty quick at responding to emails.

If there are no suitable fixings I'd drill and tap a hole in the red dovetail clamp.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T
  • Like 1

Had a similar problem with my Z73, took me 3 hours to work it out. The supplied M5 bolts that came with the WO RDF are to big so was told to use the M4 already on the scope by WO. Is there a missing bolt I can see on top of your scope? And I had to take the foam backing off for it to fit.

20180324_163756.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thank you for clearing that up. Got no instructions with this ex demo OTA. Haven't done drilling and tapping since metalwork class in school 30 yrs ago. Might give it a go. 

No more holes drilled anywhere on the OTA or focuser. I wish! 

Will wait to here from WO before drilling. Epoxy will be my first attempt maybe with a finder shoe.

16 minutes ago, greealilee said:

Had a similar problem with my Z73, took me 3 hours to work it out. The supplied M5 bolts that came with the WO RDF are to big so was told to use the M4 already on the scope by WO. Is there a missing bolt I can see on top of your scope? And I had to take the foam backing off for it to fit.

20180324_163756.jpg

When I enquired of WO they said on no account to remove those screws to fit the RDF, don't know why as they don't appear to actually serve any purpose at all apart to fill the holes up :icon_scratch:

Dave

• Thanks 1

Thinking laterally, why not see how you get on with a 40mm ep instead of a finder, should give quite a wide view ?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, knobby said:

Thinking laterally, why not see how you get on with a 40mm ep instead of a finder, should give quite a wide view ?

Well the ZS70 only has a 1.25 inch focuser. My 24mm Maxvision 68 degree works quite well to find things. Small short fracs have a nice wide field. Just a simple red dot is all i want. I saw something elsewhere on sgl about a vixen 100mm 1.25 "finder" ep which would give x4.2. Maybe a bit blury though.

4 hours ago, TSRobot said:

Will wait to here from WO before drilling. Epoxy will be my first attempt maybe with a finder shoe.

If you drill/tap a hole it will be removable, epoxy will be a bit permanent.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Those finder rings are lush, but a little bit more that i need :happy7:

Glued the Rigel base on this time. Tick tock till it falls off:happy11:. Next stop will be a mate of mine who's a fine engineer. Missed out on Stu's baader finder.