SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Vixen HR Eyepiece

Pig

21 hours ago, Pig said:

I thought so but wasn’t sure... simplest design and the least amount of glass to disrupt the photons ?

Unless you go with a monocentric which is a triplet in one form or another.  Or to the extreme, a ball eyepiece.  One lens, one group.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Piero said:

It seems the new 3.4mm Vixen HR is now available in the US, at least from Agena ( https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/614302-vixen-hr-34/page-). 

At this stage they will soon be available in the EU/UK too. :headbang: 

My Pentax XW 7mm & Zeiss Abbe Barlow make a good 3.5mm in effect. I wonder how a Pentax 3.5 XW will compare, & of course a Vixen LVW same FL. 

48 minutes ago, 25585 said:

My Pentax XW 7mm & Zeiss Abbe Barlow make a good 3.5mm in effect. I wonder how a Pentax 3.5 XW will compare, & of course a Vixen LVW same FL. 

I've compared my 3.5mm Pentax XW to my barlowed 7mm Pentax XW and find the view cleaner in the 3.5mm.

1 hour ago, 25585 said:

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

I've compared my 3.5mm Pentax XW to my barlowed 7mm Pentax XW and find the view cleaner in the 3.5mm.

The Native 3.5 XW is very good.

I should imagine that a pentax 7 XW combined with a Barlow would make a very "High" stack indeed ?

I'm interested in this HR 3.4mm, mainly for planetary observation with my TV60. Hopefully, the early reports by members on the other side of the pond will reveal an optical quality matching with the shorter focal lengths.

2 hours ago, Timebandit said:

The Native 3.5 XW is very good.

I should imagine that a pentax 7 XW combined with a Barlow would make a very "High" stack indeed ?

Zeiss is a shorty so not much extra height. 3.5 is not a FL I would use much, so Barlow on the few occasions, or my LVW 3.5, would do.

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with James earlier at FLO, and they now have a small number of 3.4mm HR's in stock I believe.

I seem to get most my observing kicks out of Lunar and planetary so I've placed my order. Should give 104x with 0.6 exit pupil in the Tak fs60cb, and about 117x in my 100p f/4 mini Dob.

It's off course not going anywhere near my C8, but let me know if they bring out a 10 or 11mm HR :) 

1 hour ago, Lockie said:

I spoke with James earlier at FLO, and they now have a small number of 3.4mm HR's in stock I believe.

I seem to get most my observing kicks out of Lunar and planetary so I've placed my order. Should give 104x with 0.6 exit pupil in the Tak fs60cb, and about 117x in my 100p f/4 mini Dob.

It's off course not going anywhere near my C8, but let me know if they bring out a 10 or 11mm HR :) 

I think it is a sensible choice Chris. I have the same plan for my TV-60.  :thumbsup:

Regarding longer focal lengths, according to Don (https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/614302-vixen-hr-34/page-3#entry8574228) and Vixen in Japan the optical design cannot be extended above 4-5mm. So no 10-11mm HR.

1 hour ago, 25585 said:

If FLO sell out, others may also have some stock if the 3.4 is available now.

Interesting to know how the HR compares to a Pentax XW 3.5, as same price.

I compared my previous SLV 5mm + Baader VIP 2x against the HR 2.4mm in my TV-60 several times on planetary targets. Although the VIP noticeably improved the native SLV, it was still behind the HR on Jupiter. Of course, you need a cooperative seeing and careful eye to spot those faint differences. Never owned an XW, but I've read comments by experienced users stating that the SLVs match the XWs apart from the AFOV. 

In any case, HR and XW are very different eyepieces in my opinion. The XW have some very attractive features, which can be more important for many people. 

1 hour ago, Piero said:

In any case, HR and XW are very different eyepieces in my opinion. The XW have some very attractive features, which can be more important for many people. 

Not least of which is not having to worry about getting gunk on the XW's eye lens.  CN contributors report this to be an HR problem.

7 hours ago, Piero said:

I think it is a sensible choice Chris. I have the same plan for my TV-60.  :thumbsup:

Regarding longer focal lengths, according to Don (https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/614302-vixen-hr-34/page-3#entry8574228) and Vixen in Japan the optical design cannot be extended above 4-5mm. So no 10-11mm HR.

Good to know I'm in good company with the choice, Piero. I think it's partly nice just to know you're getting the very best out of your refractor by having the best glass possible at the eye end :)

I've not had my little Tak long but have so far been Barlowing my 9mm Vixen SLV which gave surprisingly good views of Jupiter at 98x, I could even see a transit, but it's rather a tall arrangement at the back of the scope half as long as the scope itself and not great for balance. 

From what I've read the HR's will maximise light through put which can only be a good thing at 60mm aperture. It should also be very use able with scopes up to around 800mm focal lengh. 

Shame the design wont scale beyond 4-5mm, but at least I have the 9mm SLV for the C8 when the seeing allows, but probably need something around 11mm for average seeing.  

7 hours ago, Louis D said:

Not least of which is not having to worry about getting gunk on the XW's eye lens.  CN contributors report this to be an HR problem.

That can happen in any new eyepiece, not just the HR. And as far as I'm aware, it has only been reported for these early 3.4mm by two CN members, never on the other f.l..

On 14/05/2018 at 12:09, pete_gamby said:

First shipment for the UK of the 3.4mm Vixen HR leaves Japan tomorrow by air freight so should be in stock with dealers early next week (assuming they order some from us that is!)

On 14/05/2018 at 14:53, FLO said:

I know one dealer who has :angel: 

Steve 

14 hours ago, Lockie said:

Unfortunately the 3.4mm HR has already sold out and we are advised no more are available ?

We don’t know when the next delivery will arrive but Vixen-UK say they will have an ETA for us sometime next week. 

HTH,

Steve

Archived